• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2020 Honda DVT Goldwing test ride

ZXtasy

So I just got back from a week in Chico, CA to meet my new 7 week old Great Grand Daughter, Lucy. While the GGma and girls were out shopping I had the better part of a day to just hit all the M/C shops in the area I could. Ran in to Joseph at North State Powersports, very nice guy, who twisted my arm to take one of the new DVT Goldwings out to try. (I did buy Lucy something appropriate to puke on.)

I must say I have been interested in this shifting technology, not because I want it, but I do like to have an informed opinion on it. I have ridden almost every Goldwing iteration since the original GL1000 Naked, so know they are often under rated as far as the handling. Now this new front end linkage was not set up at all for me, felt harsh, and it was a little odd seeing the tops of the springs bouncing around in my lower periphery.

Noticeable change in power delivery from tour mode to sport mode, and I had some nice, warm, curves to try it out in. In sport from a stand-still it will definitely shift up through the gears with enough Oomph to get out of the way, but was NOTHING like a nice flashed C-14, but then, is not supposed to be. It sure was smooth and feels like it could be made to handle pretty nice. It was also low seat/CG and plenty of luggage, with Cruise Control!!! Maybe when Lucy is ready for her first bike I may be ready to move down to a cruiser like this....

Attachments

• GW DCT_SM.jpg
    GW DCT_SM.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 160
  • harley urp.jpg
    harley urp.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 145
  • squishyhead.jpg
    squishyhead.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 139
Great bib; glad I read the last line before I saw the pics. Lucy would probably enjoy a ride ( with 3 ratcheting straps on her carrier) but where would you find her a helmet?

She has to wait 5 or 6 years before she gets a ride...but at 16 I hope she still has the choice to ride her own 2 wheels and it is not a death race 2036.

Interesting.  I may have to look for a test ride at bike week.  I've never 'desired' a fully
weighed down (errrr... dressed) cruiser, but willing to give one a go.

Having gone to lighter (faster) bike from the C-10, it'll be hard sell.  Maybe one day....

A couple years ago I'm northbound on Utah 12 going from Boulder to Torrey over Boulder Mt.
Coming down the north side a bright yellow Goldwing slowly closes up on me. Now I'm no Marc Marquez but I'm no slouch either. This couple riding 2 up gasses it on a short straight and passes me, I was surprised as I was going about 75-80%.
That impressed me.
I saw them again last fall on the same stretch of road and they gave me a big wave going the other direction.
Nick

A properly set up GL 18 in the right hands can flat out embarrass an unskilled sport bike rider..I have witnessed it with my own eyes.

I took a test ride on a base GoldWing with DVT.  I really did not like the automatic transmission, every intersection I turned at it felt like the bike fell into the turn before I got enough throttle input to make it turn.  I'm sure a person would get use to that with miles, but it disconcerted me on that ride.  The other complaint I had was I could not do a u turn in my driveway since I could not feather the clutch.

My only issue with the new wing is still the weight...Coming off an 09 ultra classic to the Connie was like night and day. I can’t see us going back to a full dresser. Hopefully other offerings will start to emerge with a DCT variant.

JJ