• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2020 Nat travel planning thread

OMoaC

So's travel into Vancouver from the far reaches of the Great SW is a 2 to 3 day easy ride. Or you could be like some and Iron butt it in. I'm thinking of making the ride from Hendo in 2 days. Maybe 3 for some fun along PCH. Thought's? Suggestions? Who's in?

Mark have you ridden hi-way 1 north? If not it is worth the ride no matter where you catch it at!

FTB530 said:
Mark have you ridden hi-way 1 north? If not it is worth the ride no matter where you catch it at!
Without a doubt. Then get away for the lost coast road through the Redwoods. AWESOME. Start planning now.

If you want to take Hwy. 1 north of SF, don't go on it immediately after the Golden Gate bridge unless you have a lot of time to follow an RV doing 20 MPH forever. No place to pass and windey as heck. Which would be fine if there were no other vehicles on the road. Go to San Rafael or Petaluma on 101 and then cut over to 1.

gsun said:
If you want to take Hwy. 1 north of SF, don't go on it immediately after the Golden Gate bridge unless you have a lot of time to follow an RV doing 20 MPH forever. No place to pass and windey as heck. Which would be fine if there were no other vehicles on the road. Go to San Rafael or Petaluma on 101 and then cut over to 1.
Yeah I did that ride from Marin north to Bodega Bay and most of that was not a fun ride to me I would go up Highway 101  then over to BoDega Bay And then north!

I'm in!! 2-4 days are good for me!! Gotta do PCH and maybe a couple of passes if they are open! Yosemite!! Highways 36 and 299 on the way up or back! Redwood NP is always awesome too! Gotta see Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox too!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

I'm looking at turning up the coast say garberville or eureka?  Then up 1 to Bandon to see family for a day or so?  Then a day or two more getting to rally. Hoping for a 15daytrip buy the time I get home? :great:

My BIL and I are looking to depart from Kansas City area. It's about a 4 day ride from there. Been route planning for the past couple of months. Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway, Lolo Pass, decisions, decisions. :hum: :confuse:

Old Man on a Connie said:
Gumby said:
When is everybody leaving?
Heck, your the rally Meister. When are you leaving? From Hendo prolly Thurs or Fri depending upon route.
I am most likely leaving early the week prior to rally. Gotta make sure everything is in line, I will stay at rally central Saturday night. Anybody want to help me put up banners?

Gumby said:
Gumby said:
Heck, your the rally Meister. When are you leaving? From Hendo prolly Thurs or Fri depending upon route.
I am most likely leaving early the week prior to rally. Gotta make sure everything is in line, I will stay at rally central Saturday night. Anybody want to help me put up banners?
You mind if they may be a bit crooked? I'm in.

Gumby said:
Gumby said:
I 'm in too! More than happy to help with anything you need Tom!  :)

This is a sing along:
I am not much good at hanging banners,
Nor do I have good manners,
But I am pretty good at drinkin' beer

My wife and I may make it out there on Saturday. Our route sounds pretty similar to what Ranger Jim describes.

Ranger Jim said:
My BIL and I are looking to depart from Kansas City area. It's about a 4 day ride from there. Been route planning for the past couple of months. Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway, Lolo Pass, decisions, decisions. :hum: :confuse:

Beartooth Pass can close due to snow even in June, this happened to us in June 2011. Left Yellowstone from the NE exit and wanted to ride the Beartooth, but it was closed due to snow so we took the Cheif Joseph to Code WY. So, have a plan B should it be closed.

Well it appears that I'm going solo to this national, Rusty, Old Man...whats the plan? Coastal, Mountains, a bit of both?

OK, I am from the Midwest,  never have seen a Redwood tree. After the National my wife and I would like to venture into Northern California. I was looking at staying in the Leggett/Garberville for a couple days, how is that area? Will I have to adopt a homeless family or 2?
We have ridden the Pacific Coast highway south of Frisco, how is the PCH north of Frisco?
Also need to see the Golden Gate Bridge. Yes touristy stuff, but need to keep my passenger happy.
I am really interested to hear about the area Eureka to Leggett, and if that is a place to spend a couple days?
Thanks
Kim

ZG/ZN Kim said:
OK, I am from the Midwest,  never have seen a Redwood tree. After the National my wife and I would like to venture into Northern California. I was looking at staying in the Leggett/Garberville for a couple days, how is that area? Will I have to adopt a homeless family or 2?
We have ridden the Pacific Coast highway south of Frisco, how is the PCH north of Frisco?
Also need to see the Golden Gate Bridge. Yes touristy stuff, but need to keep my passenger happy.
I am really interested to hear about the area Eureka to Leggett, and if that is a place to spend a couple days?
Thanks
Kim
Eureka to Leggit is beautiful and the redwoods are there, Highway 1 starts at Leggitt gong south and its a fun ride, 1 is a nice scenic ride all the way t SF from there.

Gscott said:
Kim, check out hiway 254 just south of Stafford to south of Phillipsville  ( Ave of the Giants)

Have you ever run from the 254 , the Mattole road to the coast to Ferndale? Is that a good run?

The 101 down from OR is awesome. Eureka is a great base. Spend 2 nights. Loop from Eureka is 299 to Redding and then back along 36 from Red Bluff. Plan for a long day at average speed of 30mph. But a kick ass adventure. The roads and vistas are un comparable to anything. Follow the one 1 PCH down to san fran. Day trip point to point. Get some Abalone if you can. Stay outside San Fran. Rooms, parking, etc are stoopid in the city. Stay in Sausalito or Oakland and uber or Bart over. DO NOT ride into the city unless riding through.

For those that asked

The Lost Coast
From Ferndale (a tourist town stuck in the Victorian era - well kept and interesting for a bit)
Through Capetown, Blank Sand beach, lonely wind swept coast beaches, Petrolia, HoneyDew and back out Mattole road to the 101

https://goo.gl/maps/v2tF2vKHLvbKv9HB6

Beautiful, lonely, remote. The road is paved the whole way, but not always well maintained. You'll see very few people if any most times.  Came on an interesting group at the Honeydew junction, dancing on a rusted busted down ol' flatbed truck, sitting around in old strap lawn chairs, big fire in two 55 gals, having a grand ol time.  They smiled and waved, we waved and kept right on going.

Very few people have done or seen this (compared relatively to the rest of California tourist stuff)

I've ridden it on a Magna, KLR and C14 - amazing on all.  From before Bullcreek to the 101 is through redwoods BTW.

There are lots of groves/places to see beautiful redwoods as you travel south from Oregon, certainly stop at the Redwood National and State Parks (near Orick)  and Avenue of the Giants is great. 

Roads -
Do not miss 299 and 36 if you want fun curves as Mark suggested above. (36 is the lesser traffic of the two)
Hwy 96 from  I5 to 299 - is amazing sweeps and light traffic
Hwy 199 into crescent city is scenic and fun (in light traffic)
Hwy 1 - the section between Leggett and Rockport is heaven
The rest of Hwy 1 south is beautiful
and if you're pressed for time Hwy 101 south to the bay is a very nice superslab, in comparison

I repeat what Sailor Rich said, "Great info thanks".
We will leave Vancouver and ride down the coast to Coos Bay, then continue south and spend a couple days in Willowcreek (intersection 96/299). Willowcreek because we are "country-bumpkins", like small town USA.  I am looking forward to riding the "Lost Coast" area. Sounds perfect.
Then made a reservation on the north side of the Bay.  Will then head east and cross the Sierra's on either 4 or 108, then ride the Loneliest Road across Nevada.

Maybe see some of you at the Bun Cooler

Rusty said:
I'm in!! 2-4 days are good for me!! Gotta do PCH and maybe a couple of passes if they are open! Yosemite!! Highways 36 and 299 on the way up or back! Redwood NP is always awesome too! Gotta see Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox too!

Let me know if you’ll need me around to keep your speeds down to a safe level. 😂

Sailor Rich said:
Gscott said:
Kim, check out hiway 254 just south of Stafford to south of Phillipsville  ( Ave of the Giants)

Have you ever run from the 254 , the Mattole road to the coast to Ferndale? Is that a good run?
Yes it is awesome, but very rough in spots. Beat me up even on my dual sport. But if you keep it under race pace it's fine. Incredible scenery and hardly any people.

HeavyRotation said:
Sailor Rich said:
Gscott said:

Yes it is awesome, but very rough in spots. Beat me up even on my dual sport. But if you keep it under race pace it's fine. Incredible scenery and hardly any people.

Excellent Thanks all.

HeavyRotation said:
Sailor Rich said:
Gscott said:

Traffic can be a problem at times, at least there are some passing zones.

Well I signed up for the National in Vancouver, WA. Not staying at the hotel but am camping at Battleground Lake State Park.  Anybody else camping?  Not sure of route yet.

If anyone is an aviation enthusiast, check out Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum.  It is quite spectacular.  You can tour the Spruce Goose and get your picture taken just like Howard Hughes sitting at the controls. 

Gscott said:
HeavyRotation said:
Sailor Rich said:
Gscott said:

Traffic can be a problem at times, at least there are some passing zones.
It's California, traffic either moves aside or you just go around wherever you want. Ive never had a traffic problem in that part of California except on 299 due to roadwork. But why would anyone ride 299 when 36 is right there. I haven't seen anyone mention CA 3 from 36 up to Yreka but it's fantastic also. More open and flowing for big bikes or guys who aren't tryna drag a peg everywhere. Going over Mt Scott and down the Trinity past the reservoir is very memorable, as is the section south of 299 through Hayfork. I dare you to ride that and not look at Hayfork real estate listings afterward. Fair warning on 96, it is very rough at superlegal speeds, though still great. The length of 3 is buttery smooth. 299 is in great shape, 36 is a little tore up between Wildwood and Platina, otherwise good. Platina road from 36 back into Redding is an outstanding super moto style route with great views. This is all as of October.

Accommodations booked for Sunday-Friday!

I'll be traveling on business the week prior, so riding up from Santa Cruz, CA on Saturday and Sunday, then back down Friday-Sunday after the rally. Routes pending as I watch this thread for inspiration.

SantaCruzRider said:
Accommodations booked for Sunday-Friday!

I'll be traveling on business the week prior, so riding up from Santa Cruz, CA on Saturday and Sunday, then back down Friday-Sunday after the rally. Routes pending as I watch this thread for inspiration.
AWESOME!  :beerchug: :great:

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Guess I need to get my reservations in too! Should be a lotta fun coming and going from the National this year!