• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2021 COG National?

Details? You mean like dates and (more importantly) location? Normally, by this time on the calendar we would know that as it would've been announced at the National Rally.

I heard someone say on the board call last night that the 2021 dates will be in the Concourier which is hitting mailboxes this week.

ron203 said:
I heard someone say on the board call last night that the 2021 dates will be in the Concourier which is hitting mailboxes this week.

Saw posts that the magazine started hitting mailboxes today. Surprised the info hasn't been posted.  June 14 - 18, 2021.

Got the magazine, but it says the 2021 location will be "revealed" on the website.

Sounds like we're caught in a comms loop.  :mad:

Dan, we're not "caught in a comms loop.  We're caught in a TIME CRUNCH.

Here's what I have "gleaned" from BoD meeting notes combined with experience from assisting with National rallies in 2009, 2012, 2014 and 2016. 

The 2020 rally was cancelled (almost at the last minute, no one's fault, blame Covid-19).  The rally master, Tom Vaughn, had moved from the area and it was impractical for him to be rally master in 2021. No one in NWCOG (apparently) volunteered to take on the task.

That meant that another area had to:  1.  Assemble a rally planning team (not as easy as it sounds). 2. Locate an acceptable venue (also not as easy as it sounds).  3. Develop a proposal to present to the BoD (this has to include some preliminary budget numbers).  4.  Get BoD approval.  5. Develop the video for presentation to the membership. 6.  Assign tasks.  7.  Develop the registration system.  8.  Develop the schedule of events. 9.  Develop routes for the attendees.  10. Pre-ride ALL the routes.  This list can go on ad infinitum.

In "normal" times, an area has 2-3 YEARS to pull something like this together.  That ANY area, using an all-volunteer force, has been willing to undertake this task on such short notice (about 12 months) is, to me, incredible.  It's not impossible that many (most) of the details were not available when CONCOURIER went to publication.

For the record and from my 15+ years of experience, when the location is announced there will be a cacophony of voices complaining about it. Happens every year. No matter where the rally is to be held, someone is pissed off about it. Count on it.

None the less, just sit back and wait.  I'm sure more details will be forthcoming as they are developed

Well there's the rub Jim. The complaining over the destination is now already one month delayed -- and time is wasting! We (the ones not in the know) need specifics so that we can accurately frame our displeasure with the choices that are made.

That's how it work. Name it so the crap slinging can begin!  :))

BTW: I'm just kidding around. I'm in awe of the work that goes into putting on any kind of rally for a group like this -- actually, especially for a group like this!

But I will take your advice to just chill. Gives me more time to Google "10 reasons why you should never hold a motorcycle rally in..."  :rotflmao:

It could be there is a rally team in place that has been working on a 2021 event not knowing 2020 would be canceled. 

Steve.....ssshhhh.... dont let the secret out....!!!  Otherwise there gonna cancel ur decoder ring.  Lol.  They may even neurayze you...if Will Smith or Yommy lee Jones shows up, dont look at their pens....!!

Im pretty certain we all ASS-U-ME that at the very least the 2021, was already planned and set, just as well as the 2022 is probably more than half was scheduled/planned out.

It just not practical to think a group of great folks with magical ties to the area, use their significant influence to pull together a NATIONAL rally in a matter of a couple months. :))

Naw...cant be last year was east...in Pennsylvania....id be thinking north central, south central or south east..lol if i say south west id have all the areas covered.... :beerchug:

Same dates (almost) as MSTA national rally in West Virginia. Wonder if this is the year that the rallies are combined? STAR 2021!

Here you go.....Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center just south of Davis, WV. Dates are June 13 (Sunday)-June 17 (Thursday morning), 2021.

Ranger Jim said:
The 2020 rally was cancelled (almost at the last minute, no one's fault, blame Covid-19).  The rally master, Tom Vaughn, had moved from the area and it was impractical for him to be rally master in 2021. No one in NWCOG (apparently) volunteered to take on the task.

This right here is probably the biggest disappointment in the cancellation.

305940 said:
Same dates (almost) as MSTA national rally in West Virginia. Wonder if this is the year that the rallies are combined? STAR 2021!

Here you go.....Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center just south of Davis, WV. Dates are June 13 (Sunday)-June 17 (Thursday morning), 2021.

Ricky, doubt that is the case as WV is part of the NE region and they hosted the last National in 2019.

When we were planning the 2016 National, having a joint National with MSTA was floated by us. We declined to do this but did say that we should do some regional rallys with MSTA and maybe work towards doing a joint National. Nothing ever came of doing any joint regional rallys with MSTA, might have to do with our AD resigning after the 2016 National and the ED resigning at the end of 2016.

I was really looking forward to the NWCOG area. Had my routes to/from almost all worked out, was going to pick up a couple of National Parks I've been wanting to visit and a couple of states to add to my map. Plus I missed the 2019 rally (broke my consecutive rally string). :(  I know that rally team was disappointed.

Will it be posted in this thread?  I am also working on my 2021 riding plan.    BMW canceled theirs, but rescheduled for same location in 2021.  I have a wedding in Spokane next year, so I might try and rally and then store my bike at my buddies house in WA until the wedding, and then ride back.

MizzouMike said:
Will it be posted in this thread?  I am also working on my 2021 riding plan.    BMW canceled theirs, but rescheduled for same location in 2021.  I have a wedding in Spokane next year, so I might try and rally and then store my bike at my buddies house in WA until the wedding, and then ride back.

Most likely it will be posted as a new thread; that’s pretty much the way all Nationals are announced.

Chris_Baum_NE said:
Under the current US conditions Canada doesn't want us to visit either. Connie Rider Ted in their country!!!!
Fixed it for you... >:D :nananana: :rotflmao: :))

The Pope said:
Chris_Baum_NE said:
Under the current US conditions Canada doesn't want us to visit either. Connie Rider Ted in their country!!!!
Fixed it for you... >:D :nananana: :rotflmao: :))

This should also be posted in French.  :rotflmao:

I received an 'official' email notice this morning:

Part of it sed: "The reveal video will be made public this coming Saturday, July 25th at 9:00 PM. You can access the video here:"

I think others may have seen the video sooner than the 'public'?

HTH

I suspect that the BoD got a preview. Kind of a "stamp of approval" thing.  I'd also suspect that the team that put the rally together also got a preview.

Victor Salisbury said:
True that, a video about a video.

:)) :)) :))

I got that email, and clicked on the link for the vid... I think it was supposed to be a "joke" kinda thing, as the hotel didn't appear to be real... we can all click the link again on Saturday night tho, and I'm sure it will be the "real vid"...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Can I get the room that the truck ran through. I’lol use it as my group’s campsite. That was awesome. And totally unexpected. Nice job SE.

MAN OF BLUES said:
Victor Salisbury said:
True that, a video about a video.

:)) :)) :))

I got that email, and clicked on the link for the vid... I think it was supposed to be a "joke" kinda thing, as the hotel didn't appear to be real... we can all click the link again on Saturday night tho, and I'm sure it will be the "real vid"...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

It is(or was) real. I've eaten there. So has Elvis, allegedly. Old school roadhouse, neat vibe.

connie_rider said:
I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo confused.

Ride safe, Ted

the email vid was a prank Ted, just a prank...

:rotflmao: :nananana: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Yehaww

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Inn_and_Restaurant

We put a "Rick Roll" up for the 2018 Video :)) before the real video was put up. After all of that hard work getting the video ready, a little internet humor is OK! :beerchug:

so, I got this email announcing the 2021 Rally, with a video.  Yeehaw Junction in Florida????  And did you see the picture of the motel.  This must be a joke.  I lived in Florida 30 years,  yYehaw Junction????????  Tell me its a joke.

I really got stung on that Florida video.  This Alabama location really looks nice.  great video.  looking forward to it.

Great job with the video and venue! Looking forward to going back to Alabama next year!! Who in the Southwest/Northwest wants to come to?

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

SandShark said:
Any idea of the discounted price at the lodge?

And if you camp do you need to make prior reservations?
Someone else will have to comment about the lodge pricing. Camping does require prior reservations.

Reservations for Lodge and for camping are done through the park. Call (256) 571-5440. Let them know you are with COG when you talk to them to take advantage of the group rates.

connie_rider said:
I hope this doesn't scare someone off.
  We're gonna be there!!!

Ride safe, Ted and Judy

I was bout to hit the "ENTER" key to register...then I saw the above quote.

Harry said:
connie_rider said:
I hope this doesn't scare someone off.
  We're gonna be there!!!

Ride safe, Ted and Judy

I was bout to hit the "ENTER" key to register...then I saw the above quote.

Don't worry Harry. Come on over/down. We told the OTHER park on the OTHER side of Huntsville to watch for a guy in a red F-150 towing a motorsickle on a trailer to show up. Besides, this park is 6,000 acres and the lake is 66,000 acres. You may never encounter each other...  ;D

Ranger Jim said:
Dan, we're not "caught in a comms loop.  We're caught in a TIME CRUNCH.

Here's what I have "gleaned" from BoD meeting notes combined with experience from assisting with National rallies in 2009, 2012, 2014 and 2016. 

That meant that another area had to:  1.  Assemble a rally planning team (not as easy as it sounds). 2. Locate an acceptable venue (also not as easy as it sounds).  3. Develop a proposal to present to the BoD (this has to include some preliminary budget numbers).  4.  Get BoD approval.  5. Develop the video for presentation to the membership. 6.  Assign tasks.  7.  Develop the registration system.  8.  Develop the schedule of events. 9.  Develop routes for the attendees.  10. Pre-ride ALL the routes.  This list can go on ad infinitum.

In "normal" times, an area has 2-3 YEARS to pull something like this together.  That ANY area, using an all-volunteer force, has been willing to undertake this task on such short notice (about 12 months) is, to me, incredible.  It's not impossible that many (most) of the details were not available when CONCOURIER went to publication.

For the record and from my 15+ years of experience, when the location is announced there will be a cacophony of voices complaining about it. Happens every year. No matter where the rally is to be held, someone is pissed off about it. Count on it.

None the less, just sit back and wait.  I'm sure more details will be forthcoming as they are developed

Jim, I kinda feel like you threw some rocks at us here in the NW with your implication no one was willing to step up. I hope I've misinterpreted.  We were ready to push it back a year, but the 2021 team had already laid all the ground work for next year's rally so they get to move forward with their plans.

Charlie Gary

Rusty said:
Great job with the video and venue! Looking forward to going back to Alabama next year!! Who in the Southwest/Northwest wants to come to?

It could happen!  It could happen!  :)

This is doable....  Worst time of year for me to request vacation, June goes first.

I'm gonna try though!  I'll check back in in December.  :great:

No one in NWCOG (apparently) volunteered to take on the task.

That statement is untrue. Not to attack the messenger.

I just talked to the NWAD and it is clear the event was unfairly pulled out from under the NW Rally Team. I commend prior NWAD Tom Vaughn and all the volunteers who worked on the 2021 NWCOG Vancouver Nat'l Rally

I don't appreciate the way this decision to changed the rally from the NW was handled by the COG BOD.

The event hotel had agreed to be rally central with room rates the same and expenses transferred to the following year.. And other organized details and volunteers were also able to proceed the following year 2021.

I believe the current decision should be supported but not the way it was handled.

Made reservations for accommodations in the area. No camping for me, thanks, hots and a cot and I'm good, but tents and such, no can do.

Looking forward to it.

danodemotoman said:

I just talked to the NWAD and it is clear the event was unfairly pulled out from under the NW Rally Team. I commend prior NWAD Tom Vaughn and all the volunteers who worked on the 2021 NWCOG Vancouver Nat'l Rally

I don't appreciate the way this decision to changed the rally from the NW was handled by the COG BOD.

The event hotel had agreed to be rally central with room rates the same and expenses transferred to the following year.. And other organized details and volunteers were also able to proceed the following year 2021.

I believe the current decision should be supported but not the way it was handled.

Well, it would be nice if the real reason was made available to the the membership. The SE was put on hold as we were waiting on what the NW was going to do, that was the reason the save the date and the location reveal was delayed. The word we received was that no one from the NW was willing to take over for Tom if it was extended to 2021 and there were financial obligations to the hotel property if not cancelleded by certain dates.

FYI, the SE was not obligated to hold the National until 2022 as the last time we held it was 2016. The SE actually stepped up to hold it a year before we should have. The SE presentation to the BOD was made in mid February.

The SE was under no financial obligations for 2021 and could have pushed it to 2022. So, if the National was pulled from the NW, the real reason should be stated so the membership is aware of what transpired.

MotoCommuter said:
danodemotoman said:

MotoCommuter said:
Well, it would be nice if the real reason was made available to the the membership. The SE was put on hold as we were waiting on what the NW was going to do, that was the reason the save the date and the location reveal was delayed. The word we received was that no one from the NW was willing to take over for Tom if it was extended to 2021 and there were financial obligations to the hotel property if not cancelleded by certain dates.

It appears people were hearing incomplete information and then making assumptions about what was going on. It happens pretty frequently. We had it covered.

MotoCommuter said:
FYI, the SE was not obligated to hold the National until 2022 as the last time we held it was 2016. The SE actually stepped up to hold it a year before we should have. The SE presentation to the BOD was made in mid February.

The SE was under no financial obligations for 2021 and could have pushed it to 2022. So, if the National was pulled from the NW, the real reason should be stated so the membership is aware of what transpired.

I can only guess at what was behind the decision-making process, so I will limit my response to unless the ED chimes in with what drove his decision to cancel the contract instead of extend it then we are beating a dead horse with our conjecturing and just move on to what is on the schedule. The NW team is salivating at our chance to find an even better venue somewhere within riding distance of really cool attractions.

Question: Is there any communication between C.O.G. and the MSTA concerning national rallies? Again, in 2021 the two Clubs are holding their national rallies on the same dates. This has happened in the past. Several of us are members of BOTH clubs and would try to attend both. Not trying to "Stir the pot" with my question, just wondering if there is any communication between the two.

305940 said:
Question: Is there any communication between C.O.G. and the MSTA concerning national rallies? Again, in 2021 the two Clubs are holding their national rallies on the same dates. This has happened in the past. Several of us are members of BOTH clubs and would try to attend both. Not trying to "Stir the pot" with my question, just wondering if there is any communication between the two.

I can't answer for the  club, but this event was scheduled when it is in part due to availability of the facilities. We asked "when is available in June?", they said this week and then we found out it "just" avoids a large hydroplane race event held at the venue the following weekend. I'm sorry for the overlap. It'd be a good idea to look at those conflicts in the future.

Gary, Dan, I assure you that no "slam" was intended toward NWCOG. I can see how my comments could be interpreted as such and for that, I apologize. :truce:

Frankly, I was STUNNED when we were told to get our proposal ready to submit. My thoughts were, "WHY? The NWCOG has all this ground work already DONE.  They've a team in place. All the 'hard part' is done! This gives them a year to polish the details and make it even better!"

SECOG was focused on 2022 (e.g. 6 years since our last hosting of a national). We'd just settled (after some considerable debate) on a venue and were working out other details.  It was certainly not SECOG's intent to jerk the opportunity out from under NWCOG.

Again, my apologies.

TCARS!

S Smith said:
It could be there is a rally team in place that has been working on a 2021 event not knowing 2020 would be canceled.

Reading thru the lines  This would be it.  They worked very hard all year to watch it all go to waste

Jim, Like I said don't blame the messenger ... or the SE region.
I was careful not to blame individuals.
Attack the process not the individuals.

Ranger Jim said:
Gary, Dan, I assure you that no "slam" was intended toward NWCOG. I can see how my comments could be interpreted as such and for that, I apologize. :truce:

Frankly, I was STUNNED when we were told to get our proposal ready to submit. My thoughts were, "WHY? The NWCOG has all this ground work already DONE.  They've a team in place. All the 'hard part' is done! This gives them a year to polish the details and make it even better!"

SECOG was focused on 2022 (e.g. 6 years since our last hosting of a national). We'd just settled (after some considerable debate) on a venue and were working out other details.  It was certainly not SECOG's intent to jerk the opportunity out from under NWCOG.

Again, my apologies.

TCARS!

Guy's I apologize for not chiming in earlier, but here is the 2020 National story from my point of view.

I signed a contract in the name of COG that said we would fill so many rooms which would result in X amount of $'s for The Heathman Lodge and in return they gave us a smokin' deal on event space for hospitality room, vendors space, and banquet room. At the time I cancelled the rally we had enough rooms filled to meet their X amount of $'s.

Here is the smoking gun, when I called The Heathman Lodge to cancel the rally they still wanted to hold COG accountable for the money even though Vancouver cancelled their State Fair, their Fourth of July Fireworks Show at Fort Vancouver, and Governor Inslee had already put into effect that gatherings with more than 50 people were not allowed.

Believe me when I say I did not want to cancel this rally, myself and others had put a ton of time into it. I've never been through a pandemic, I felt it was the right thing to do.

Ron and the SE were willing to work with us either way, pick up the rally in 2021 or hold off until 2022. The Heathman lodge did offer to give me the same deal for 2021, but as you know I am in the SW now and after the experience we had with them it left a bad taste in everybody's mouth so myself and the BoD decided to to give the SE the go ahead for the 2021 National. Thanks SE. :beerchug:

Let's put this thread to rest and let the 2021 team post up new threads with camping/riding/venue info that will answer all of the questions we have about next June.

Thanks for the explanation Tom. After that treatment, it's good you told them to pound sand.

I was super stoked about the 2020 rally in Vancouver, as it would be my first one since retiring last October, making it possible for me to mosey (yes, I said mosey) my way up and back without having to fit the trip into a single week's vacation.  But staying healthy takes precedence and I was grudgingly pleased at the decision to cancel.  I felt badly for the NW team though, after all the time and effort they expended on setting up what looked like a super rally in an area I have never ridden.  Having said that, the Alabama location also looks pretty awesome from my limited time online.  I thought the 2016 rally in Helen, GA was an absolute blast, and the roads were truly a revelation for this Kansas boy.  I'm looking for more of the same in 'bama next year. 

Thank you SE rally team for stepping up for the rest of us!

:great: :great: :great: :beerchug: 

TRM-KS said:
...and the roads were truly a revelation for this Kansas boy...
I imagine the roads anywhere are a revelation for a Kansas boy.  :D  My Dad was from Kansas and said it was a great place to be from, but he wouldn't want to go there.  For entertainment, my Grandmother used to drive out on the flat straight roads to see who was planting what.  It was all wheat, but that was okay.  All jesting aside, Kansas has a beauty all its own and I would've been happy to have stayed there.

If you're out this way, let us know.  I'd be happy to show you around and I'm sure others would too.

I'm seriously considering the national rally for next year.  I went to the Badlands earlier this year, and it wasn't just the Badlands that were great, but all the bucket list destinations along the way that made it a great time.

Chris

CaffeineMan said:
Rusty said:

It could happen!  It could happen!  :)

Reservations made...  Looking forward to riding a new area!