• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2022 Bun Cooler

ADVTRACKER

Joe, I'm going to say the following weekend of the 20th-22nd. That would be the weekend after Mothers Day, and the third full weekend of May. When Glena and Jim return from the desert we'll be able to get a date set in stone.

Joe, I'm going to say the following weekend of the 20th-22nd. That would be the weekend after Mothers Day,
Mothers Day is May 8 this year; happens on a Sunday, too. Bun Cooler has usually been wknd after, so May 13 -16th is my educated guess ... let me take another swig to make sure. Yup, sounds good to me.

Isn't The Bun Cooler the 3rd weekend in May? Since the 1st Saturday this year in May is on the first, the 3rd weekend would be as Red Fox Suggested. The 13th would be the early birds BBQ at the Sherman's.

Last edited:
The later the better in my humble opinion! :D

I looked over the 2022 May calendar. The first weekend in this coming May is Sat. the 1st with Sunday as the 2nd. That takes care of weekend #1. The 3rd weekend is as Red Fox suggested. But as others have noted we will really know when the Sheman's start working on it.

All I know I plan on attending!

I looked over the 2022 May calendar. The first weekend in this coming May is Sat. the 1st with Sunday as the 2nd. That takes care of weekend #1. The 3rd weekend is as Red Fox suggested. But as others have noted we will really know when the Sheman's start working on it.

All I know I plan on attending!
Likely me too with friends from the SW! Be good to see you and the other fine folks of the NW! :) (y)

Last edited:
uhm, pretty sure May 1st 2022, is a Sunday - don't know what constitutes a first weekend though, Sat and Sun? or does Sunday the 1st count as a weekend?

(sits semi-patiently waiting for details from the Shermans)

Isn't The Bun Cooler the 3rd weekend in May? Since the 1st Saturday this year in May is on the first, the 3rd weekend would be as Red Fox Suggested. The 13th would be the early birds BBQ at the Sherman's.
Tim, you appear to be trapped in 2021. Run!, my friend, before the zombies catch up. ;)

A recall on the schedule: about 5 - 6 yrs ago, the Bun Cooler had been run on the first full wknd of June (delay due to scheduling reason I wasn't privy to).

But, for that year's delayed Bun Cooler: the weather was beautiful, one of the salmon runs up the river was in full swing, the weather was beautiful, we got several long long distance attendees (Michigan?), the weather was beautiful, BC had a large turn-out.

At that year's BC, I (and others) thought - why isn't BC always run on this weekend? Response then was availability of hotel & campground; and tradition. Well, just coming off of Covid this year, maybe timing is workable again?

https://new.horizonsunlimited.com/t...-mexico-and-central-america-jan-mar-2022-2018

Here's an update on my blog. Currently in the bottom of Copper Canyon in a pueblo called Batopilas in the state of Chihuahua. Dropped the bike yesterday on a remote section of 41 mile long dirt road. Taking the day off today to repair the bike and chill out. Here's a few pics.IMG_5256.jpeg64616F86-7180-4049-A17C-9EC343D32273_1_105_c.jpeg
index.php
IMG_5253.jpeg

Attachments

• 75E86E27-B9E7-43FF-8F6D-71274F2925A3_1_105_c.jpeg
    75E86E27-B9E7-43FF-8F6D-71274F2925A3_1_105_c.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 926
Tim, you appear to be trapped in 2021. Run!, my friend, before the zombies catch up. ;)
May 1st for 2022 is a Sunday. The question would be is that considered the first weekend. If not, then the BC would be scheduled for May 20 to 23. Charlie, not sure how I got the 2021 calendar. I have a supposed smart phone, so I'll blame it. No zombies would survive anyways.

May 1st for 2022 is a Sunday. The question would be is that considered the first weekend. If not, then the BC would be scheduled for May 20 to 23. Charlie, not sure how I got the 2021 calendar. I have a supposed smart phone, so I'll blame it. No zombies would survive anyways.
Tradition is it's the third full weekend of May, so this year would have us arriving on the third Friday of May.

We should plan for Bun Cooler on May 20-21-22? Don't make it later than that since the next weekend is Memorial Day, and there are other conflicts in June. I'm already registered for the Giant Loop rally in Oregon June 3-5.

I've been camping in the desert and am in an RV park this week. I am trying to get everything set up for the Bun Cooler. The internet here is terrible but I have contacted the resort and am trying to get ahold of the cater.

The date as always is the 3rd weekend of May. That will be the 5/20& 21. The banquet will be on Sat. the 21st.

Hopefully I will have all the information this week and I will have Kari post it if I can't

I've been camping in the desert and am in an RV park this week. I am trying to get everything set up for the Bun Cooler. The internet here is terrible but I have contacted the resort and am trying to get ahold of the cater.

The date as always is the 3rd weekend of May. That will be the 5/20& 21. The banquet will be on Sat. the 21st.

Hopefully I will have all the information this week and I will have Kari post it if I can't
I would like to thank Jim for doing this while camped with bad web signal. (y)

I have everything close to done. I talked to the cater and she is working on the menu and prices. It is the same lady as last year. She is offering to make something for Fri. night when people come in so they won't have to ride back to town. She is also going to offer breakfast both Sat. and Sun. between 7 and 8. The banquet will be at 6 on Sat. night. We are thinking the banquet will be paid when you register and everyone will pay their own for the other meals.

I'm working with Kari to get the registration set up when I get all the information this next week

Daughter is coming in to town from France. She has plane tickets and time off from work. In other words, locked in dates. Other daughter and husband coming from California. Heading to Zion for a week.

God first, then Family...and everything else after that.

Chris

I have not been to one of these events before, and am not sure what to expect. It's about a 8-hour ride for me, so it looks like I'd be riding in Friday, and riding home Sunday.. Wondering if there will just be several day ride routes to choose from, then socializing and such in the evenings?

Also, are other bikes welcome? A friend and I had been talking about a trip to Montana, and the location of this meet would put us nearly there. I am thinking we could combine the two trips but he's not on a Connie or even a touring bike, but has no problem keeping up with me and doesn't mind putting down highway miles... And loves all bikes, as do I!

Thanks for the work putting this together, I hope I can make it!

Cheers,
Aaron

I have not been to one of these events before, and am not sure what to expect. It's about a 8-hour ride for me, so it looks like I'd be riding in Friday, and riding home Sunday.. Wondering if there will just be several day ride routes to choose from, then socializing and such in the evenings?

Also, are other bikes welcome? A friend and I had been talking about a trip to Montana, and the location of this meet would put us nearly there. I am thinking we could combine the two trips but he's not on a Connie or even a touring bike, but has no problem keeping up with me and doesn't mind putting down highway miles... And loves all bikes, as do I!

Cheers,
Aaron Yep, all kinds of available day rides. Plenty of socializing including a ā€œformalā€ dinner. As far as bikes go, I sold my C14 five years ago and have been bringing a Wing since. People bring all kinds of bikes. No one cares.
Aaron Yep, all kinds of available day rides. Plenty of socializing including a ā€œformalā€ dinner. As far as bikes go, I sold my C14 five years ago and have been bringing a Wing since. People bring all kinds of bikes. No one cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers,
Aaron
What part of the county you coming from? You might be able to hook up with folks riding in?

Dave

What part of the county you coming from? You might be able to hook up with folks riding in?

Dave
Coming from just outside Portland, OR. It's close enough that doing it in one quick shot will be the way to go, under 500 miles. I've had much longer days on smaller bikes! :)

Unfortunately, my wife will be doing her last clinical rotation of her program so probably won't be able to get the time off to join me.

My friend is game to join me, but if it works out, I'm open to riding with anyone else on the way out there!

Cheers,
Aaron
There will be maps of routes and lots of people to join up with.

I put the Bun Cooler on and don't even own a Kawasaki. We welcome all kinds of bikes. We even have occasional Harley and adventure bikes.

I finally got all the information and the registration has been turned in to the webmaster. It should be up any time.

It has been a real hassle trying to get things done when I have been in Arizona either dry camping with no internet or RV parks with very poor internet. To make matters worst, the caterer only uses a cell phone so she has problems sending the menu and prices. She takes a picture of handwritten information and usually I can't read it.

Fastenova,
I'll be on the way to the BC on Friday as well. Leaving from Cornelius, OR, about 20mi W of Portland. We could hook up and the 3 of us could ride out together if you wish.
welcome,
-tdbru

tdbru-
Yeah Cornelius is super close, we're in Tigard & Beaverton. That sounds like it could work. PM coming your way.

Ahhh Cornelius Pass...make a loop of it with Old Germantown Rd. and make 2 two passes before relaxing at a friends house in Hillsburrito. The good old days of the early 90's before it became choked with line crossing, cell phone addicted Prius and Subaru drivers. Sorry for the thread jack. Cool your buns!

I finally got all the information and the registration has been turned in to the webmaster. It should be up any time.

It has been a real hassle trying to get things done when I have been in Arizona either dry camping with no internet or RV parks with very poor internet. To make matters worst, the caterer only uses a cell phone so she has problems sending the menu and prices. She takes a picture of handwritten information and usually I can't read it.
Oh an out with the new and in with the old sorta thing? Does the catering lady know you can't read her handwritten mote?

Woohoo! I just booked a room and confirmed that my riding buddy Scott and I will be joining y'all in May. We're planning on taking a couple of extra days after the COG meet to explore the area and take a long way home. Very much looking forward to meeting some fellow COGers and riding through beautiful Idaho!

Thanks to the organizers for putting this on and taking care of all the details so we don't have to. I know organizing big events like this are a lot of work, it's much appreciated.

We certainly can. I might even leave the house a little earlier so I can eat breakfast with you guys for once. I have a hankering for a chicken fried for some reason.

9am I believe. I leave my house with KSU at 7:30 thinking its an hour to a hour 15 to Moses Lake. They are aways finished eating, waiting for me and down to drinking final cups of coffee. Seems to me I'm a little late.

I have two options. Leave at 6:30, 7 and/or turn up the heat or both. Probably both. By the time the guys get to Moses Lake from the west side it's been a long ride for them and they get a much needed break. Easy to get gas.

I finally registered, and for some reason the forum software has taken my wife's name from the emergency contact field and put it in the registrant name field. Sorry ladies, but she's not coming so you won't get to ask her all those questions about me.

At least I'm not the only one that happened to. I'm guessing we both have to check in under our wife's names. LOL

I had a lot of trouble trying to get my wife registered as a guest a few weeks ago. Not real impressed with the software.

I finally registered, and for some reason the forum software has taken my wife's name from the emergency contact field and put it in the registrant name field. Sorry ladies, but she's not coming so you won't get to ask her all those questions about me.

We opened a help desk ticket with Wild Apricot and they believe the auto-fill function on your computer is automatically changing the name. I'm not sure I buy that explanation, but I will play along until we get a better one.

Charlie & Tim - I've fixed the registration name field in both of your registrations. If anyone else experiences the same issue, send me an email to events@concours.org.

Thanks,

Mark

The resort told Jeff Beecher he got the last room. He is looking for a roommate. I don't know if they gave us a smaller block or what because we only have 25 people registered.

I went by there today on a ride to Elk City. The campground was pretty full. The ride was great. The road was in good shape for this time of the year. They have a new restaurant at Junction, which is a few miles before you make the turn to Elk City. It is pretty nice and good food.

I have a room reservation but am waiting to do the reg until I out if I can even do it for health reasons.

The resort told Jeff Beecher he got the last room. He is looking for a roommate. I don't know if they gave us a smaller block or what because we only have 25 people registered.

I went by there today on a ride to Elk City. The campground was pretty full. The ride was great. The road was in good shape for this time of the year. They have a new restaurant at Junction, which is a few miles before you make the turn to Elk City. It is pretty nice and good food.
Passing this on for a friend. Jeff Beecher is still looking for a
roommate. He has a 2 Queen-bed room at the KOA, for 2 nights (Friday
and Saturday). If you're interested in his room sharing opportunity,
Jeff asks that you contact him directly via phone (412 405-3552) or
email (publicjb@outlook.com).

I'm having one heck of a time (like can't) paying the registration fees. Not like waiting for the last day to get a large tee shirt. šŸ™ƒ

Finally got it to take my CC. Fire is now out. ;)

Monday is the last day to register because we have to give a count of meals to the cater. Long range weather looks great.

Yeah, but my oldest daughter is flying in from France to go to Zion with me. What do I do?

Chris

Monday is the last day to register because we have to give a count of meals to the cater. Long range weather looks great.
ACTUALLY SUNDAY AT MIDNIGHT is the last day to register and have the Banquet included.

Registrations for the event is available through Midnight 5/18 --however, if you register early enough, you may be able to purchase a meal from the caterer at the event if there is extra. šŸ¤ž

I have to give a count to the cater Mon. She has to order food this next week. I'll try to keep her informed if we get late registrations. You can pay her for a meal if there is food leftover.

I plan to be at Bob's CafƩ, 1807 East, Kittelson Rd, Moses Lake, WA 98837 at 9am Friday morning. Anyone who wants to join us, feel free to DM your name and cell number to me if you wish to make contact. Otherwise, look for the guy with a faded red Aerostich one piece Roadcrafter riding suit hanging out with other ne'r-do-wells.

I just canx'ed my reservation. I am having medical problems which I can see getting worse by myself. Something is going on with my balance and it's not related to alcohol. The other thing I had to look at is I don't know if I could even make the trip from my house to the KOA without some sort of issue. So Room 307 is now open. Since I already paid for the rally, and most meals including chicken for the Banquet may be some one else can use it. I did not include breakfast. See you later at the next rally.

That stinks Tim, but you gotta take care of yourself. I have the honor of Island Bob's presence staying out in our guest cabin (RV in the driveway), and hope he sticks around to go meet at Bob's. I am headed into work at 06:30 but plan to sneak out to meet up around 9 for at least a photo Opp.

Me and my other brother by a. Different mother Kevin made it to Blackfoot only to be held up by 40-50 mph gusts of winds from the west. After a 4.5 hrs wait the winds let us carry on. So now in Challis can't wait to see what tomorrow brings? All this for some fresh cookies at sign up. šŸ˜‹

Me and my other brother by a. Different mother Kevin made it to Blackfoot only to be held up by 40-50 mph gusts of winds from the west. After a 4.5 hrs wait the winds let us carry on. So now in Challis can't wait to see what tomorrow brings? All this for some fresh cookies at sign up. šŸ˜‹
Those winds are a killer! Are you riding over on Hwy 75+21 via Stanley? We are headed that way Sunday via Lolo to loop back to Oregon.

The winds here have died down and the weather looks pretty good. Just partly cloudy in the upper 60's and an 80% chance it won't rain. If there is rain it will just be a little passing storm.

Tim, I hope you get some relief, keep us posted. Here are some shots of Bob in the Guest house last night and todays breakfast rendezvous at...well, Bob's Cafe in ML. Charlie Gary and 'Wee-Strom Tom" chugged across the cold pass to meet up at 0915. A nice group, wish we could have visited longer.

Attachments

• BUN COOLER BREKKIE MEET_05_20_22_1.jpg
    BUN COOLER BREKKIE MEET_05_20_22_1.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 114
  • BUN COOLER BREKKIE MEET_05_20_22_2.jpg
    BUN COOLER BREKKIE MEET_05_20_22_2.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 110
  • BUN COOLER BREKKIE MEET_05_20_22_3.jpg
    BUN COOLER BREKKIE MEET_05_20_22_3.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 122
  • BUN COOLER BREKKIE MEET_05_20_22_4.jpg
    BUN COOLER BREKKIE MEET_05_20_22_4.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 122
  • ISLAND BOB.jpg
    ISLAND BOB.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 126
Another Bun Cooler is in the books and it is safe to say, we lived up to our name. I'm sure everyone got to experience "cool buns" at sometime over the weekend. We wanted to thank all of you that braved the wind, rain, hail and intermittent sunshine to join us in Kamiah. We had riders from 5 states and Canada this year and thankfully, everyone got to leave the ride the same way they came, even with Woodie, who tried to push it a bit. We missed some of our regulars and are hoping our schedules work out better next year on the 3rd weekend of May. Tim, we hope you are feeling better and will be able to come get your own cookies next year.

Every year I ask myself why I do this, but all it takes is to see your smiling faces as you approach the registration table and I know. Of course, I know for some of you, it's the cookies you are smiling at, but........šŸ˜ I love being able to renew old friendships and begin new ones and this allows me the opportunity to do that. Any of you who are possibly thinking of putting on a ride or other activity, do it. You will get way more back than what you put into it.

Again, thank you all for allowing us to be part of you and we will see you on May 19-23, 2023.