• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2023 COG National "Coast, Craters & Curves" - June 12-16, 2023 - ( 5/11/23 updated )

ForumAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
2023logox250.png

2023 COG National Rally
Coast, Craters & Curves
June 12 -16, 2023
Canyonville, Oregon
[map]

This the official rally thread and this first post will be updated continuously - updated 5/11/23

Registration Is Now OPEN
✳️Registration form
$120 from January 16 until April 30, 2023
$140 from May 1, 2023

(an additional $20 for non-members)

Lodging - Camping - Schedule - Attractions - Routes

2023 COG Rally Updates and Alerts to your Phone
Receive brief, important updates and alerts during the 2023 Rally and the days leading up to it.
Updates and alerts about; reminders, the next scheduled event, time changes, new info, weather and timely announcements.

Text COGNAT23 to the number 612-405-1238 from your phone to sign up. It's that easy.

(You can cancel the updates/alerts at any time)

We encourage you to reserve your lodging now. You can always cancel later.

Rally Central: Seven Feathers Convention Center in Canyonville OR.

Rally Master:
Russ Saunders (Motomaniac)

Rally Central Lodging: $105 per Room ( Single King or Double Queen )
Seven Feathers Convention Center in Canyonville OR.
Reservations: call 1-888-677-7771
Tell them your with Concours National Rally and/or COG National Rally (try both)
Rates extend from 6/10/23 to 6/16/23
Complete Lodging Details

RV and Camping Options: Complete RV/Camping Details

Camping Czar - Mark Hartman

Seven Feathers RV Resort

Registration Open
Modern and beautiful resort - Shuttle to Rally HQ
RVs: $65 to $95 per day (no tent camping) Full Hookups + Wifi & Cable TV
Yurts: $200 per Day (approx.) - sleeps 4 New with modern amenities (limited qty)
Cabins: $200 per Day (approx.) - sleeps 4 New with modern amenities (limited qty)
✳️Details and Registration

Charles V. Stanton County Park and Campground
Registration Open
Lovely lush area lining the South Umpqua River with amenities - Shuttle to Rally HQ
Tent Camping: $24 per Day (includes showers, flush restrooms, wifi and more)
RV Spots: $35 per Day (includes water, electricity, sewage, Wifi and more)

✳️Details and Registration

Both locations are within 1 Mile of Rally HQ
and have Free Shuttle Service to HQ from 7am -1am
If you have any questions or need assistance contact Mark Hartman - Camping Czar

Official Rally Merch (shirts and stuff)
The Official CCC Rally Shirt is available for purchase during registration and is only available to registered attendees. If you didn't purchase one at that time and have changed your mind and want one, or would like a second one, please contact merchandise@concours.org before May 8, 2023. The shirts will be at the Rally when you arrive.

We have some additonal Rally Merch (hats, long sleeves, polo...) featuring the CCC logo now available in the COG Members Store. Available to everyone. Orders are delivered straight to you. You shoul order as soon as possible and before May 8th to ensure you have it prior to levaing for the CCC.

Some Major Attractions:

• Redwood National & State Parks (OR and CA)
  • Crater Lake National Park
  • Oregon Coast: Coos Bay, Gold Beach, Brookings, State Parks/Beaches, Museums, Art Galleries, Antiquing and a lot more
  • Beautiful scenic roads with lots of sweeps and twists
  • Mt. Shasta
  • Three Sisters (peaks) and lava flows
  • Rogue River recreation areas
  • Bend and Klamath Falls

Good Thing to Know
  • Daily Average high temperature in mid-June: 78° with 50% humidity
  • Nearest cities: Roseburg, Grants Pass, Eugene
  • The closest major airports are 1) Medford "Rogue Valley" Airport (MFR) in Medford, Oregon and 2) Eugene Airport (EUG / KEUG) in Eugene, Oregon
  • The Southwest Oregon Regional Airport (OTH), located in Coos Bay, is the only commercial airport on the Oregon Coast. (it is not closer than Eugene)
  • No sales tax
  • At least the Oregon gas is cheaper than California (and most stations allow motorcyclists to pump their own gas)

Hidden in the lush green south west coastal mountains of Oregon, Canyonville is a quaint little town surrounded by amazing roads, stunning scenery and bucket list attractions. The mild June climate, an average high of 78° with low humidity, is perfect for all the fun outdoor activities, like motorcycle riding. With both lodging and camping options near each other, and a free shuttle to move between them, it's easy to gather up your friends and riding buddies for food, riding and adventures.

Last edited by a moderator:
All 2023 National lodging options - Rally Central, RV and Tent - are open for reservations. Details

All the camping and RV options will be 100% full in June 2023, they sell out - make your reservations now cause if you wait, there may be no spots left.

Reserve Now - you can always cancel later

Kay, Kona & I are planning on attending. Only 2,703 miles for us. But we will take the opportunity to check some items off our bucket list, like ride the PCH from LA up to Canyonville. Afterwards, we plan to head up to British Columbia and visit Vancouver, Jasper, Banff, etc. My leg should be 100% healed by June.

Kay, Kona & I are planning on attending. Only 2,703 miles for us. But we will take the opportunity to check some items off our bucket list, like ride the PCH from LA up to Canyonville. Afterwards, we plan to head up to British Columbia and visit Vancouver, Jasper, Banff, etc. My leg should be 100% healed by June.
Look forward to welcoming You, Kay and Kona to Canyonville next year! You might want to go ahead and secure reservations now. You can always cancel later. :) :cool:

Last edited:
I live in south eastern WA state and have had a chance this summer to ride some of the great roads in eastern Oregon and western Idaho. If anyone coming from the east would like some recommendations for lesser known roads to try on your way west through Oregon I have a couple of sources. The COME RIDE WITH US publication has 7 maps now covering different parts of WA, MT, OR and ID. All roads marked with motorcycles in mind, along with motorcycle repair resources and restaurants etc. The official free TEAM OREGON motorcycle map appears to be out of print. I will check to see if I can find some copies. Here is a link to the pdf version. https://www.oregon.gov/odot/Safety/Documents/TeamOregonMap.pdf
Here is the link to Come Ride With Us maps: https://comeridewithus.net/. They charge $10.00 for shipping for the first set and $2.50 each additional set. Or you can pick them up for free at any of the advertisers in the areas covered.

Just made reservations 6/12-6/16. Checking out Saturday morning 6/17.

Reservationist said that last night rate jumps up from $105 to $130.

Top of this thread says the rates extend from 6/10 to 6/16.

Appears to be a disconnect here that needs to be clarified, one way or the other. Might just be check out date vs actual last night date.

The reservationist was very efficient. The transaction was pleasant.

Looking forward to June 2023!

Appears to be a disconnect here that needs to be clarified, one way or the other. Might just be check out date vs actual last night date.

Hi Greg, The hotel rate should remain at $105.00 on Friday night. I sent a message to our contact at the hotel and I should get a response very soon. There should be a correction. Thank you for your comment.

Thanks for looking into the hotel rates Motomaniac.

Separate topic: I’m going to need a new set of rubber before heading back to the east coast. Maybe there will be others in the same boat? Any suggestions for a reputable dealer /tire installer, preferably in the vicinity of Rally Central? Thanks in advance.

Mitch

Separate topic: I’m going to need a new set of rubber before heading back to the east coast. Maybe there will be others in the same boat? Any suggestions for a reputable dealer /tire installer, preferably in the vicinity of Rally Central? Thanks in advance.

Mitch
Great idea. I’ll probably need a set also

We will have that information out to you and the club soon. We will likely have at least two dealers to choose from. :)

Greg, The rate should now be corrected for you and anyone else making reservations in the future. I will have my contact at Seven Feathers change the rate back to $105.00 for your last night. Look forward to meeting you at the National Rally next year!

Mitch
Very good question!!

I myself didn't think to ask it on my first national back in 2002. Got to montrose and the dealership didn't have any extra tires in stock. Lost a day if riding while they tracked down more tires...

Just a heads up from living in Oregon and passing through the area plenty of times, there's not a lot in Canyonville. The closest towns that would have moto shops would be Roseburg (30 mi) or Grants Pass (45 mi).

Just putting out some ideas here that the organizers could chew on... If any COG members are trailering their bikes and wanted to bring a tire changing stand, it might make sense to offer tire changes (assuming the member-in-need shows up with a wheel off the bike, and their own spare tire) and charge members a small fee per tire, or maybe COG would compensate them for their time as a "member benefit".

I am sure the person with the tools wouldn't want to be stuck there all day so keeping it to just a couple hours on a couple days would work, or if they were willing they could deputize other members who have changed tires before to assist.

Members who plan ahead could possibly get tires shipped directly to the lodge? Or make one trip with their truck to a local dealer to pickup preordered tires for members. This might be a pain to organize though.

Additionally I'm sure members would be interested in a "tire change clinic" for somebody experienced to show their quick-change chops... I think I've heard it mention this has been done at prior COG rallies. Of course that would mean you'd need donor wheels/tires.

Feel free to tell me these are terrible ideas, maybe they've been tried before at other rallies and are just too complicated. I've never been to a national rally so I don't know what I don't know! ;)

Shipping tires to the resort sounds like the easy route. But if anyone has an issue with that (in case the lodge won’t do it), I’ll be trailering up from Central Calif. and you can ship them to me and I’ll bring them up. PM for address and such. I’m trailering with the SO so she has the car, so shouldn’t be an issue (unless 12 of you hit me up).
FYI: I no longer own a Connie, so this isn’t a tire-collection scam. I will accept a free beer though upon delivery… ;)

FYI: I no longer own a Connie, so this isn’t a tire-collection scam. I will accept a free beer though upon delivery… ;)
Hmm, that's exactly what a tire-collection scam artist would say... :ROFLMAO:

Very nice of you to offer to transport tires up.

I wish I had a tire changing stand to contribute (I've been eyeing the Rabaconda kit, but don't really have the space for it in my garage).

We are working on having someone there to change tires (If needed) with all the tools and a lift. Also to do some fun tech sessions during the upcoming National. We should have someone that lives close by that will have tires and other parts that may be necessary. Also, we will be working with at least a couple of dealers and independent shops in the area! Thank you, Dan for volunteering though our hope is that you will not need to carry any tires to the National. :) (y)

Any details on the campground shuttles (j.e. hours, cost, etc?). Thanks
Ron
Ron, There is no cost for the shuttles that run from the RV Village and the Campground to the main Hotel and back. Not sure on the hours though I think they run from 7am - 12 Midnight. I will check on the accuracy of my memory. :)

If it's been mentioned, or if there is a way during registration...I didn't read/see it....

..How do I go about ordering a second Rally T shirt? is that possible?

We are working on having someone there to change tires (If needed) with all the tools and a lift. Also to do some fun tech sessions during the upcoming National. We should have someone that lives close by that will have tires and other parts that may be necessary. Also, we will be working with at least a couple of dealers and independent shops in the area! Thank you, Dan for volunteering though our hope is that you will not need to carry any tires to the National. :) (y)
As a side note, there is no sales tax in Oregon. If the tires are not overpriced you should save some bux buying here.

I tried to reserve a room at Seven Feathers Convention Center today, and it said that the number wasn't assigned. I then went to their website and tried through the number that it showed, it also said that the number wasn't assigned. Is there an updated number to make a reservation?

I tried to reserve a room at Seven Feathers Convention Center today, and it said that the number wasn't assigned. I then went to their website and tried through the number that it showed, it also said that the number wasn't assigned. Is there an updated number to make a reservation?
A little clarification please, you called the number 1-888-677-7771 shown in the first post in this thread and...
1) couldn't get Seven Feathers Convention Center
or
2) they couldn't help you when you talked to them
?

I just called the number 1-888-677-7771 and got the Seven Feathers. Talked to a nice person that said it was still the right number for making room reservations (she will connect you to the right desk after calling). I would guess it was a hiccup with the VOIP technology when you called.
I would say try again.

A little clarification please, you called the number 1-888-677-7771 shown in the first post in this thread and...
1) couldn't get Seven Feathers Convention Center
or
2) they couldn't help you when you talked to them
?

I just called the number 1-888-677-7771 and got the Seven Feathers. Talked to a nice person that said it was still the right number for making room reservations (she will connect you to the right desk after calling). I would guess it was a hiccup with the VOIP technology when you called.
I would say try again.
I tried the 1-888-677-7771 number again and it still said that it wasn't assigned, so I sent the resort an email explaining; and they gave me this number 1-541-839-1111 which worked ( not a toll free number unfortunately). I have made my reservations and am good to go. I suspect that the problem is that I am calling from Canada. (Even though I have never had this problem before with any North American 800 number). I am putting the local number out in case anyone else from Canada (or elseware) runs into this issue.

Last edited:
I am sorry that you had these issues. I have reached out to our main contact at the hotel and going forward hopefully we will not have this occur again. Look forward to meeting you at the National!

Less than 4 months to the start of the National Rally in Canyonville, Oregon!! It's getting very real and exciting at the same time! We ( Volunteers and me) promise all of you that go a very fun time at this year's National! The roads, coastal towns, National and State Parks and other cool attractions will be wonderful memories of a great trip! Please register for the National and book your room, tent camping, or RV reservations very soon! Thank you!!

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Shannon at the hotel. King room booked and Rally registration made some time ago. Looking forward to finally getting the opportunity to ride the area!

You bringing the boss?
CINCWIFE is flying out on Wednesday. Wants to use most of her vacation time on the backend drive home. But, got her for the banquet and we figure a trip over to Crater Lake before things close out that day. And I'm free to ride the rest of the time.

Mike

CINCWIFE is flying out on Wednesday. Wants to use most of her vacation time on the backend drive home. But, got her for the banquet and we figure a trip over to Crater Lake before things close out that day. And I'm free to ride the rest of the time.

Mike

Cool. We’re planning on Crater Lake as on of the day’s’ destination.

Rally reservation made and tent site reserved. Leaving Friday and plan to arrive Monday. From Hutto, TX. Looking forward to riding thru northern New Mexico, Colorado and Utah on some roads I haven't ridden in a while.

Rally reservation made and tent site reserved. Leaving Friday and plan to arrive Monday. From Hutto, TX. Looking forward to riding thru northern New Mexico, Colorado and Utah on some roads I haven't ridden in a while.
The ride through the states to the destination and back are almost as fun as the National itself! Have a great safe ride and look forward to meeting you when you arrive! I think you will like the tent sites by the South Umpqua river!

Any idea when National Rally merchandise will become available to order?

Doug Meister
Some hats, long sleeved shirts and variations should be up beginning of next week. These aren't the "official" shirt, but a few additional options/designs/products themed for the 2023 Coast, Craters & Curves Rally. They will be shipped to your location.

The "official" 2023 COG "Coast, Craters & Curves" National Rally shirt is only available during to registrants during registration. And will only be shipped to the rally where you can pick it up on arrival.

(if you already registered, and didn't order an "official" shirt, but have changed you mind - contact Merchandise@concours.org )

Are the routes downloadable yet? Clicking on the gpx icon takes me to an xml file.

Thanks!
Because of the way the software package COG uses works - you should:

Right Click the GPS symbol and then select Save File As... or Save Link As...

and I hear there are more routes are coming soon

Looks like most of a schedule has been posted for the rally. It mentions a couple of pending things, but it lists the whens of normal National stuff.

And yep, the banquet is Thursday
:D

1682361686_1.jpg

Some additional Rally Merch (hats, long sleeves, polo...) featuring the CCC logo are now available in the COG Members Store. It's available to everyone. Orders are delivered straight to you. You should order as soon as possible and before May 8th to ensure you have it prior to leaving for the CCC.

The Official "Coast, Craters & Curves" Rally Shirt is available for purchase only during registration and is only available to registered attendees. If you didn't purchase one at the time you registered and have changed your mind and want one, or would like a second one, please contact merchandise@concours.org before May 8, 2023. The official shirts, ordered during registration, will be at the Rally when you arrive.

you probably already know this but just a heads up,PCH north of Sonoma county will be loaded with slow moving elder driven RVs.It is a magnificent ride but slow with people looking at the view and not the road.Safe riding my friend.I am taking the 101 from Astoria to Coos Bay and have traveled it before so I am prepared for the slow but n ot looking foward to it

you probably already know this but just a heads up,PCH north of Sonoma county will be loaded with slow moving elder driven RVs.It is a magnificent ride but slow with people looking at the view and not the road.Safe riding my friend.I am taking the 101 from Astoria to Coos Bay and have traveled it before so I am prepared for the slow but n ot looking foward to it
Thanks for the heads up. We are planning on taking 4 days to go from the Santa Barbara area up to Canyonville. I know there are some detours due to road wash outs. If it gets to bad or we are running out of time, we can always jump on I-5.

2023 COG Rally Updates and Alerts to your Phone
Receive brief, important updates and alerts during the 2023 Rally and the days leading up to it.
Updates and alerts about; reminders, the next scheduled event, time changes, new info, weather and timely announcements.
Mainly they wil be used to keep you updated on whats coming up in the near future and to alert you to any changes to the schedule or locations.

Text COGNAT23 to the number 612-405-1238 from your phone to sign up. It's that easy.

(You can cancel the updates/alerts at any time.)

Crater Lake National Park is open.

We were there this Sunday and it was gorgeous.

It's not 100% open yet, but they are working on it. The warm weather is helping them to clear the roads.

Currently only the south entrance is open. The main Visitor Center, Lodge and Cafe are open. The road along the west side was open up to Discovery Point on Sunday. It will already be farther along by today.

Even at the amount that was open on Sunday, it's totally worth a visit.

A couple of photos from Sundays visit...

IMG_9084.JPG
IMG_9093.JPG

A new route was added for the 2023 National

Cow Creek Curves - 1:45 Saddle Time - 65 miles

This is a great ride for a day when you also want to attend a tech session or meeting. Right out the west side of Canyonville for a jaunt through the mountainous country side, and some of the bestest, remotest, loneliest, prettiest curves in Oregon. Don't believe? Look at the map.

We did this route on Saturday (5/20) and it was fabulous.

1685127949628.png

Last edited:
A new route was added for the 2023 National

Cow Creek Curves - 1:45 Saddle Time - 65 miles

This is a great ride for a day when you also want to attend a tech session or meeting. Right out the west side of Canyonville for a jaunt through the mountainous country side, and some of the bestest, remotest, loneliest, prettiest curves in Oregon. Don't believe? Look at the map.

We did this route on Saturday (5/20) and it was fabulous.

View attachment 35964
I agree with Keith!! Fantastic route! No traffic! Smooth and clean roads! Plenty of curves!

Putting Cow Creek in the GPS now.

Question; If we do the Shortest National Redwoods - Hiouchi Visitors Route, could we make it a loop instead of repeating the trip we took to the Redwoods,,, (??)
and go back;

North on 101 to Bandon, then 42S to Lampa Lane (or 42), Lampa lane (or 42) to Myrtle Point, 42 to Winston, 99 from Winston to 5, and finally 5 to Canyonville?

Looks like a 6 hr ride vs 4 1/2 hrs.

Reason I ask is the loop looks to be interesting, and the roads east from Bandon appear to all be blacktop roads. (??)
ie; I don't know the area, and I'd hate to reach Bandon and then find out that the roads across to Canyonville are impassable.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Ted,

Yes, that section should be fully paved. The 'shortcut' between 42S and Myrtle Point is not going to be as well maintained, so no shoulder, narrow lanes, might have loose gravel, etc. but aside from any potential road construction delays, tractor parades, etc. I don't think you'd have any issues.

Aaron

EDIT: worst case would be possibly having to detour up to Coquille to stay on 42S/42, I am positive that route is well maintained and this time of year should be in great shape.

It's also worth noting that 101 could be slow moving with RVs/trailers and never enough passing zones, but hopefully we're early enough in the tourist season, and being a weekday, that it won't be much of an issue.

Last edited:
It might just be me, but I think there may be a problem with the "Powers" GPS file (.gpx).
When I download it, I only get a 2K file, and Garmin's BaseCamp doesn't like it.

On the other hand it's probably not that important as there seems to be only one way to get there from Canyonville.

just fyi

When did you download the Powers GPX? They were all updated earlier this week, so if before that you might try downloading again.

The GPXs were originally conversions from the Google maps. (and therefore were about equal to a google map), they have sense been jammed into Basecamp and "corrected". But we're not perfect and if you still get an error, please let us know.

And that's the thing about the west, there is kinda one road/route between places.

(I have neither Basecamp nor a GPS - so can't check it myself)

When did you download the Powers GPX? They were all updated earlier this week, so if before that you might try downloading again.

The GPXs were originally conversions from the Google maps. (and therefore were about equal to a google map), they have sense been jammed into Basecamp and "corrected". But we're not perfect and if you still get an error, please let us know.

And that's the thing about the west, there is kinda one road/route between places.

(I have neither Basecamp nor a GPS - so can't check it myself)
I downloaded it earlier today.

Anyway, all the other routes look great now, I deleted all the ones I had downloaded earlier when they were first put up on the site and started downloading again on Memorial day.
=======================================================
In the routes none are going to ride department (10+ hours according to Google, or 8:36 accorrding to Garmin BaseCamp), I'll offer up this one to The Avenue of the Giants". It will not show up properly using a phone app but should show up on a PC properly. It was real pain trying to make it go where I wanted instead of where Google wanted it. It goes down 101 to the south entrance and then parallels 101 back up to the north, rejoins 101 north and then continues back to Canyonville.

https://goo.gl/maps/Uh3vnyyX3y95YVXQ7

Last edited:
I believe there's either an issue with the 'powers gpx' link on the Routes page or some corruption happened to the file somewhere in transit. It should be ~309K in size. I tried saving the Powers gpx link and saw a 'Couldn't download - no file' response. Maybe the link was altered so that folks wouldn't download a bad route file? Anyway, I sent another copy of the Powers gpx to be posted on the Routes page. Once it's there I'll see if it looks okay. The other gpx files look good so far - Download, import and recalculate in Basecamp. I did the routes with Basecamp V4.7.5, City Navigator North America NT 2024.1 maps and the basic 'Driving' - Faster Time profile. Not that the profile matters as much with the shaping points added - but it could.

I think we're good on Powers now. (Thanks Keith!)

I downloaded the posted gpx and imported it into a PC with Basecamp that hadn't had the route before.
It all looked as expected as did the 'playback'.

Keep us posted if there are any other issues discovered.

I think we're good on Powers now. (Thanks Keith!)

I downloaded the posted gpx and imported it into a PC with Basecamp that hadn't had the route before.
It all looked as expected as did the 'playback'.

Keep us posted if there are any other issues discovered.
Thank you Mike, Keith and Martin for keeping an eye on the routes!

Having never attended a National Rally before, I've got a dumb question. Is the Banquet on Thursday included in our registration fee? 🤔

I originally planned on checking out Thursday morning, but this was before I saw the Events Schedule. Now I'm thinking I may need to add another night to the reservation. 😳

The banquet is included in your registration fee.

(that's one of the bigger things that the registration covers)

The Group photo is also on Thursday, just before the banquet.

Having never attended a National Rally before, I've got a dumb question. Is the Banquet on Thursday included in our registration fee? 🤔

I originally planned on checking out Thursday morning, but this was before I saw the Events Schedule. Now I'm thinking I may need to add another night to the reservation. 😳
You need to stay Thursday night! It is a very fun day and evening!

A lot of the volunteers will be there Saturday afternoon. Me too. How's your room? You should be in the east wing. Welcome to Canyonville!!
I'm in the west wing. Probably because I got here 2 days early. Room is nice. Mini fridge, no microwave. Great shower, no water rationing here.

We're in West Yellowstone (Sat. 10 am). Staying in LaGrande, OR tonight, picking up SNARF and the Misses at Portland Airport Sunday AM. Hopefully we'll be in Canyonville before late evening. Safe travels everyone!

Tire Changing Tech Sessions at the 2023 National, parking lot fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20230613_154427.jpg
    IMG_20230613_154427.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20230613_154439.jpg
    IMG_20230613_154439.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 97