• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

21st Bun Cooler May 2012? Is it happening?

Dudes... My back screwed my last year and I should have the OK to ride this spring... I had the back surgery August 1st and May should be well over 9 months... I'm Jonesin' for a ride and not one single mention of the BC. Is it happening or am I missing something. Throw me a bone....

Time for others to host rides in addition to the BC.  :72:
Pick a date and event type, ride, RTE etc.  :c017:

Newbie here...

What's the date of this ride and from where to where and how many miles? Is it an overnight event?
smiley_dunno.gif

ZG said:
Newbie here...

What's the date of this ride and from where to where and how many miles? Is it an overnight event?
smiley_dunno.gif

ZG, we usually shoot for the third weekend in May, and we tend to turn it into a two-night affair on Friday and Saturday nights.  There's some kind of big music (or kayak, can't remember which) festival we can't compete with in regards to crowd size, so as soon as we know for sure they don't want to take over the town the same weekend we want to do our thing we'll pin down the Lewis & Clark Resort in Kamiah.  The usual chain of events is most folks show up Friday afternoon/evening and stand around the fire.  Saturday is when folks disperse in all directions, with the ride up over Lolo Pass being very popular with both riders and police.  We all return to the resort for dinner, door prizes and a group photo Saturday evening, followed by more bench racing around the fire.  Sunday folks wrap things up and return home.
  It's a good time for all.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
ZG said:
Newbie here...

smiley_dunno.gif

ZG, we usually shoot for the third weekend in May, and we tend to turn it into a two-night affair on Friday and Saturday nights.  There's some kind of big music (or kayak, can't remember which) festival we can't compete with in regards to crowd size, so as soon as we know for sure they don't want to take over the town the same weekend we want to do our thing we'll pin down the Lewis & Clark Resort in Kamiah.  The usual chain of events is most folks show up Friday afternoon/evening and stand around the fire.  Saturday is when folks disperse in all directions, with the ride up over Lolo Pass being very popular with both riders and police.  We all return to the resort for dinner, door prizes and a group photo Saturday evening, followed by more bench racing around the fire.  Sunday folks wrap things up and return home.
  It's a good time for all.

Thanks for the overview CG, sounds like a fun trip.

I'll follow this post to see whats doing. Want to plan a trip up from NV around the same time. Keep me posted. :)

Old Man on a Connie said:
I'll follow this post to see whats doing. Want to plan a trip up from NV around the same time. Keep me posted. :)

Sounds good.  Which part of Nevada will you be coming from?

From Henderson NV. Want to head east through MN, up through CO. Make about a 7 day trip.

danodemotoman said:
Ride The Divide (Colorado)
WHAT A BLAST it was.  :1rij:

I'll second that. Err...  at least the first day.  Sorta went sideways for me after that.  :rotflmao:

Gotta give credit to Nebraska Jerry and you for all the help.

When we goin back? I still have the ride sheets.

Not yet. Only trip through CO was 70 straight through from KS to UT. Wanted to get home. Have been traveling the CA, OR area's and turning east and north for the next trip.

Not yet. Only trip through CO was 70 straight through from KS to UT. Wanted to get home. Have been traveling the CA, OR area's and turning east and north for the next trip.

The Tetons are in Wyoming, just south of Yellowstone National Park.  They are a sight to see, and if you don't want to go through Yellowstone after seeing them you may get lucky and be able to go west before the park if Ashton-Flagg Ranch Rd is open, but I wouldn't bet on it that early in the season.  The Bun Cooler dates have been set for June 1st-3rd, at the Lewis & Clark Resort in Kamiah, Idaho.  It's on the east side of town, on Hwy 12.

OK, we've finally got the dates pinned down for the Bun Cooler.  We're getting a bit of a late start, but since May is short a weekend this year we got bumped to the first weekend in June.  So mark your calendars for June 1st, 2nd and 3rd to be at the Lewis & Clark Resort in Kamiah, Idaho.  It's on Hwy 12 on the east side of town.  The phone number is 208-935-2556, and the web site address is http://www.lewisclarkresort.com/
  More details will be disseminated as we get them.  Until then, rumors will have to suffice.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Until then, rumors will have to suffice.
Starting my research. Let me know the rumors on rides. Tetons sound awesome. Any riders coming up from the south give me a heads up.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:

The Tetons are in Wyoming
Yeah. Meant that was the closest I got ???

mark your calendars for June 1st, 2nd and 3rd to be at the Lewis & Clark Resort in Kamiah, Idaho

Whew! I had a conflict of interest going on if the Bun Cooler was being held in May. Heck, I might even get to go.  ;)

June!
Is that 'bun cooler' weather?  :))
I'll be there.  >:D

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
OK, we've finally got the dates pinned down for the Bun Cooler.  We're getting a bit of a late start, but since May is short a weekend this year we got bumped to the first weekend in June.  So mark your calendars for June 1st, 2nd and 3rd to be at the Lewis & Clark Resort in Kamiah, Idaho.  It's on Hwy 12 on the east side of town.  The phone number is 208-935-2556, and the web site address is http://www.lewisclarkresort.com/
  More details will be disseminated as we get them.  Until then, rumors will have to suffice.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:

The Tetons are in Wyoming
Yeah. Meant that was the closest I got ???
  If you ever wonder if something you wrote could be misunderstood, just run it by me.  ;)

Let's see if this works. Lemme know. This is what I'm looking at. Suggestions? Been from Hendo NV to ely but never farther north on these roads. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209771733868082526036.0004b725073bafe29d8e6&msa=0&ll=40.32142,-115.576172&spn=3.970128,9.832764

As far as Nevada goes, I will not question your judgement.  The Idaho part will get you into and out of Kamiah (pronounced Kam- e - i, by the way), but if you like a scenic ride along the river U.S. 12 is a great way to get to Lewiston.  I have not tried the other way you laid out on 95, so I can't say if it is better, or not.  Hopefully one of our Idaho locals or someone else who's been there will give an opinion.  If nothing else, once everyone is in Kamiah someone on the spot will know which way is the way to go.  If a piece of history is your thing, check out the Old Spiral Highway once you get to Lewiston.  It is the old way down the hill, very windy.  I'm told nobody ever actually died on the hill until they built a new, safer road.  Hmmmm.  Your route across eastern Oregon is excellent, but then it's actually kind of hard to pick a bad route across eastern Oregon.  Labor Day Weekend we're going to converge somewhere (possibly John Day) and ride.  Just thought I would toss that out there in case you fell in love with the area and needed an excuse to come back. ;)

So, is June 1st the arrival day and the 3rd departure day? Or .....  It is a long one day ride for me, but too short for a two day.

Thanks Charlie. I'll check those. Just don't want to run into a gravel road trying to make the nights stop (BTDT). Anyone have 2 cents throw it in. Looking at hooking up with the NOWEST group sat afternoon n sun morn and heading back south.

gsun said:
So, is June 1st the arrival day and the 3rd departure day? Or .....  It is a long one day ride for me, but too short for a two day.

Yes, the 1st will be the day/evening most everybody gets there, and Sunday is when most everybody packs up and goes home.

Did that NV section coming back from Montrose Nat'l with Idaho Bob and Mike Curtiss. The NV section after coming west from Brians head was remote but a decent pavement and the Owyhee crossing into ID. Great route as remote goes but mostly straight roads I recall..

Let's see if this works. Lemme know. This is what I'm looking at. Suggestions? Been from Hendo NV to ely but never farther north on these roads. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209771733868082526036.0004b725073bafe29d8e6&msa=0&ll=40.32142,-115.576172&spn=3.970128,9.832764

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
gsun said:

Yes, the 1st will be the day/evening most everybody gets there, and Sunday is when most everybody packs up and goes home.

Perfect! Is there a COG discount at the resort?

gsun said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
gsun said:

Perfect! Is there a COG discount at the resort?

I want to say there is, but I don't know for sure.  Last year rooms were $60.00 a night.  I'll have to ask Mike Curtiss about that, since he's the one putting it all together.

Rats! I will have to miss the Cooler this year, I'll be on the road to the National (the long way, via the Hill Country of Texas) by then :(

Steve 

>>>>>
So mark your calendars for June 1st, 2nd and 3rd to be at the Lewis & Clark Resort in Kamiah, Idaho.
>>>>>

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:

As far as Nevada goes, I will not question your judgement.  The Idaho part will get you into and out of Kamiah (pronounced Kam- e - i, by the way), but if you like a scenic ride along the river U.S. 12 is a great way to get to Lewiston.  I have not tried the other way you laid out on 95, so I can't say if it is better, or not.  Hopefully one of our Idaho locals or someone else who's been there will give an opinion.  If nothing else, once everyone is in Kamiah someone on the spot will know which way is the way to go.  If a piece of history is your thing, check out the Old Spiral Highway once you get to Lewiston.  It is the old way down the hill, very windy.  I'm told nobody ever actually died on the hill until they built a new, safer road.  Hmmmm.  Your route across eastern Oregon is excellent, but then it's actually kind of hard to pick a bad route across eastern Oregon.  Labor Day Weekend we're going to converge somewhere (possibly John Day) and ride.  Just thought I would toss that out there in case you fell in love with the area and needed an excuse to come back. ;)

A lot depends on the time available... Taking 93 north from Twin Falls up the Bitterroot Valley to Lolo is a phenomenal ride. But that can add 1-2 days to the ride.

The choice of 55/95 isn't all that bad!  :D That's one of the routes I take from Boise to Kamiah. There's a fair bit of variety in scenery and roads. Just be very aware of your speed through McCall...

RayK said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Thanks Ray. Still route planning and researching. Have never been North of Klamath falls in OR., or Ely/Reno in NV. All new to me. Have never been to ID or WA on a bike. Looking forward to it. Right now palanning 2 days up, 2 days in and 2 days back. We'll see how it shakes out. How many have you got committed so far NWAD?

A lot depends on the time available... Taking 93 north from Twin Falls up the Bitterroot Valley to Lolo is a phenomenal ride. But that can add 1-2 days to the ride.

The choice of 55/95 isn't all that bad!  :D That's one of the routes I take from Boise to Kamiah. There's a fair bit of variety in scenery and roads. Just be very aware of your speed through McCall...

OK my northwest friends. After honing my google map skills a bit here's what I've got. Hendo NV to Elko I've got. Everything below Lassen I've done so know those roads. Question is from Elko through ID, WA and OR. Are the mileage averages doable? I don't mind a 500 mile 8 hour day. I DO mind a 500 mile 12 hour day. Experienced rider 2 up packed for 7 days. What do you think? Wish I had more time to enjoy but the counterweight only has 3 day's vaca left.
http://g.co/maps/txx29

Thanks Charlie. That's the info I need. I like to stop every hour for a stretch. I'll look at the map again. Still planning it. :)

Getting ready to pull the trigger on my room res. All  still on track Charlie? They still have rooms or cabins available. Which is better? Will only be in for Friday night Sat. morn but looking forward to meeting you all. Is there a ride set up for Sat. morn that heads into WA/OR that we can join? Where can we get some details? Sorry for questions that may be redundant but first timer. Thanks for the help. :)

Never mind. Started using the muscle between my ears and found it on the calender. :beerchug:

Anybody book a room and need a roomie to split the bill with?  I haven't made a reservation, yet.

OK, I found someone to share a room with.  Now I just have to make the call.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Anybody book a room and need a roomie to split the bill with?  I haven't made a reservation, yet.
I may. I am supposed to be coming with a buddy, but he may not be able to make it. I will nail him down.

gsun said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
I may. I am supposed to be coming with a buddy, but he may not be able to make it. I will nail him down.

Since I posted this, I found someone to share a room with.  Tell your buddy he's got no choice now- he has to come. :)

Ye Haa! I have been cleared by the M.D. to ride again, scheduled the time off and I just made my reservations.  :motonoises:

RayK,
Congrats.
Happy days are here again! :1rij:

RayK said:
Ye Haa! I have been cleared by the M.D. to ride again, scheduled the time off and I just made my reservations.  :motonoises:

RayK said:
Good to hear Ray. It was your original post that got me thinkin' of making this. C U there. :)

Thx guys... I always take my light duty brace just in case, but I find that my posture is getting better. Riding the bicycle is helping a lot too. This wiull be my first "big" (it's all relative) ride in over 18 months... Is it June 1st yet???  :D

RayK, Seller backed out on the RDL :'(. Stocker all the way with the wallymart gel pads. We'll see. Changed our route after all the posts on LOLO pass. Going east and south instead of west and south. Couldn't miss this bucket trip road. Leaving the cooler Sat morn through Lolo to yellowstone. Any rides set up yet? Anyone wanna tag along through the pass?

RayK, Seller backed out on the RDL :'(. Stocker all the way with the wallymart gel pads. We'll see. Changed our route after all the posts on LOLO pass. Going east and south instead of west and south. Couldn't miss this bucket trip road. Leaving the cooler Sat morn through Lolo to yellowstone. Any rides set up yet? Anyone wanna tag along through the pass?

Well that sucks! I was looking forward to checking it out... But probably not as much as you were. I'm finding that my Sargent seat isn't as comfortable as it was (or as I thought it was) prior to my surgery. I guess I'll be heading over to Wally World for some gel pads...

A lot of the rides in the past were kind of ad hoc, but not to worry as there will be bunches of us that will be doing the pass!

Looking forward to our 5th? Cooler.

The CFO and I are departing on Thursday, will overnight in Cle Elum and then ride via a few dams with Bob and Cammie down to Kamiah.  From the BC we head on down to the National YAY!

Looking forward to throwing the ZGRX round a few curves  ;)

only 13 days to go...

CP

Looks like Saturday has a 70% of precipitation... I guess I am finally find out how well the waterproof liner in my gear works... See y'all there!

Weather Underground says, "clear with chance of rain Sat morning, cloudy with a chance of rain Sat afternoon.  High 75*/32* low Sat night."
Hey!  it is North Idaho in the Spring :p

I spent the day yesterday fitting 2 new 5x5  sealed windows into the front of our house.
Now I'm under the gun to get packed for a 2 week trip, clean the house etc, etc.  :rotflmao:

And Dang what's this liquid sunshine this morning Ugh,, LoL  :mad:

Wheels up at 3:00 this afternoon  >:D
See ya'll tomorrow

It's not liquid sunshine, it's Road Wash. :))  If it's still coming down when you leave, it's Bike Wash.  And Helmet Wash.  And Glove Wash. :D

Warning to anyone from Seattle area going over 90 and state 26?  Between Vantage and Othello there are several miles of FRESH OIL ON CHIPSEAL.  Up to 20 minute wait for pilot car.
We were towing a trailer with our bikes on it so not too bad.  Just a heads up. :-*
Anyway we are here waiting for you.

Is it late enough in the year to go down to Centralia and catch Highway 12 and go around Ranier?  Not really interested in the chip seal.

Had a blast!!! Even with all the rain on Saturday. I got back to Boise and high temps earlier this afternoon. It was great to see both familiar and new faces...

Another Bun Cooler in the books.  We had a great time hanging out with all the people who showed up.  39 people signed in on the COG waiver, and I have to admit having the hard rain Saturday morning convince many of us to sit around bench racing wasn't all that bad.  Tim Rieb and I got a short ride in up Forest Road 100 Saturday afternoon, dinner Saturday evening was delicious, and everybody scored something in the door prize drawing.  Best of all, Nancy Prior sold over $400 in Harbor Freight Tire Changer raffle tickets for the OtP fundraiser.  Next year we will be back to our usual third weekend of May.  Mark your calendars.

Thanks to Charlie for filling in for Mike as the BC host this year.
Did get in the ride to Elk City leaving @2PM Sat for a 140 mi loop getting back in time for the dinner.
I had buttoned up the new to me '05 @10PM Fri nite before leaving for the BC , all went well and a Connie with 120k less miles is smoother I can tell you, like riding a new one!
440 mi each way, one gas/pitstop and 7 hrs. The C10 still rules! The Russel  helps too.

Had a great ride and enjoyed meeting a few of you ( and oogling farkles) even though we only got to spend 1 night. Saturday was a full rain gear day all the way to West Yellowstone but LOLO was still a hoot. Obligatory photo's once downsized.

We arrived Thur. evening and were out on the road for a beautiful hot day Fri.  Went south from kooski to Graingville and over White Bird and up to McCall Idaho.  Must have been over 100* in the Salmon River Canyon coming back. 
Sat. we planed to go North to St Marries Idaho, but the Local weather guru said it was going to rain everywhere North and East of Kamaih, so opted to repeat Fri's ride. 
Very light drizzle when we were gearing up.  Changed to real rain as we were leaving.  Poored on us for about 60 miles.  Can you say "drowned rat" bikes?  Return trip was perfect, cool but dry.  Incidentally the old White Bird Hill looks like pictures from the Alps, however, it is open range and cow pies are slick. :mad:
Loaded the "trailer queens" up Sunday morning to head home.  It would have been the best day of the trip.  Cool and dry all the way home.

Had a Blast great people at my first COG event :))
RIDER DOWN on sunday on are way back to Pasco Dale Weber HAD A FRONT TIRE BLOW OUT on a curve at about 50mph to 56mph he is still in Pullman hospital ( bad concussion and fractured left shoulder and beaten and bruised all over ) should be released Tuesday )  ??? he is in good spirits (bike is total loss ) the bike flew about 65 feet and dale about 55 feet down a embankment  :'(
I was right behind he when it happened :'(

THAT SUCKS!!!!  Keep us posted on how he is, and tell him we're all pulling for him.  What kind of tire was it?

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
THAT SUCKS!!!!  Keep us posted on how he is, and tell him we're all pulling for him.  What kind of tire was it?
???Was it on highway 26?  We went that way Sunday morning.  Didn't see anything unusual.
Milage? road conditions?  any idea why?
Best wishes for a fast recovery. :'(

It happend on Hy 194, not sure on the tire, don't know if the blow out a bad tire or he ran over same thing (the tire had about 3500mi on it) ???
he plans on getting a new c14 after the OK from the Doc. :motonoises: 6 to 8 weeks.

Sorry to hear of the rider down! That sucks!

Nancy and I are in Heber UT now on day 5/6 of our National trip.
I spent yesterday rebuilding the front brakes of the ZGRX and the binding has now gone, as has
as far as I can tell, the high speed wobble.  ;D

Today we dodged all the rain showers as we skipped back and forth between Wyoming and Utah on our way South.
We had some pretty nasty 40Mph + side winds which made life interesting, and topped just over 10,540ft as we came over Bald Mountain Pass. I'm pretty sure that's the highest I have even been on a Connie.

Tomorrow we start heading East into Colorado, and a few more mountain passes as we cross the Rockies, before we hit the yawn Kansas flat-lands.

dirt_biker said:
It happend on Hy 194, not sure on the tire, don't know if the blow out a bad tire or he ran over same thing (the tire had about 3500mi on it) ???
he plans on getting a new c14 after the OK from the Doc. :motonoises: 6 to 8 weeks.
That truly blows. Glad to know he'll recover well. Never had one but front tire blow out's scare the living S**T outta me. Always running through my mind when dancing at triple digits. Hope he comes out all good and supply more details when there known.

Blow out on a front tire while negotiating a curve? I don't think many would be able to control a situation like that.

Thoughts and prayers to Dale for a speedy recovery and enjoyment with a C14.

Dayum!!! Glad he's alright... But that's one helluva way to justify getting a new bike... Probably the worse type of blowout to experience.  :eek:

Wow :-\
The thought of a Front tire blowout is a nightmare to me.
Dale, hope you heal well, our thoughts are with you.