• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

24th Annual Hunt for Red October (Oct. 12-14) [WI]

ManWorkingHere

The 24th annual Hunt for Red October will run from Friday, October 12 through Sunday, October 14, 2018.  We're once again including a third day of riding for those that can join us on Friday. 

On Saturday, we’ll meet for lunch (Noonish) at The Sparta Family Restaurant at the intersection of I-90 and Hwy 27 in Sparta, WI.  Those that couldn’t get away on Friday will be able to rendezvous with the rest of the group.  After lunch there will be riding on some of the best roads in Southwestern Wisconsin on our way back to the Don Q Inn in Dodgeville.

Lodging
----------
If you're planning to stay at the Don Q Inn, please get your reservations in by 9/12/18.  The Don Q has another bike group that is asking for rooms and the Don Q will fill up quickly after they release our rooms on 9/12/18.  Reservations can be made by calling the Don Q at (800) 666-7848. 

For additional information, or to register for the HFRO, please check out the event posting on the NC Area Calendar. 

I would love to make it, but will be in Punta Cana.  My wife and I are planning on taking our annual trip to Galena this weekend.  I was wondering how many roads and bridges are still out of commission after the flooding?  I usually take alphabet roads down and the river back.  Can I still do that or is it best to just take 35 down and 61 back?

Jeff said:
I would love to make it, but will be in Punta Cana.  My wife and I are planning on taking our annual trip to Galena this weekend.  I was wondering how many roads and bridges are still out of commission after the flooding?  I usually take alphabet roads down and the river back.  Can I still do that or is it best to just take 35 down and 61 back?

Hi Jeff,

Please report back on your experiences with the water level in that area.

I am leading the annual COG ride from SE WI to Galena, IL alongside the Mississippi on Sept. 22-23.  I'd appreciate reading your firsthand account of what's going on with the roads along the river.

Ride safe with you and the wife this weekend!

MWH

ManWorkingHere said:
Jeff said:

Hi Jeff,

Please report back on your experiences with the water level in that area.

I am leading the annual COG ride from SE WI to Galena, IL alongside the Mississippi on Sept. 22-23.  I'd appreciate reading your firsthand account of what's going on with the roads along the river.

Ride safe with you and the wife this weekend!

MWH

FWIW, we had no water interference with the roads along the Mississippi that weekend.

Check the Members Area for the North Central newsletter for my trip report from that lovely weekend!

See you all at the Don Q soon.
MWH

It’s looking to be on the cool side for this ride but at least there won’t be any snow or rain. If anyone can swing it the Minnesota Group will be doing lunch at the Big Boar BBQ in West Salem around 12:30 Friday, from there we will be traveling down mostly alphabet roads to the Q.

It will be a bit chilly. I will try to make it up to the BB BBQ to give you a warm Wisconsin welcome. I can swing past the Don Q around 10:15 AM, if there is anybody that wants to ride up with me. Just let me know.

FYI:

On Saturday, I will be meeting Cary for lunch at the Sparta Family Restaraunt.

There are two routes I plan to take from Sparta down to Dodgeville.

If the weather is dry, I have a longer route to take through Wildcat Mountain State Park.

If the weather is rainy, I will have a different route along the Mississippi we can follow.

Anyone else is welcome to ride along these choices.  The routes emulate famous Dave McClurg's ride sheets using Google Maps instead.  Dave always finds good roads to take so I did my best to follow them using Google Maps.

Matt

ZG/ZN Kim said:
It will be a bit chilly. I will try to make it up to the BB BBQ to give you a warm Wisconsin welcome. I can swing past the Don Q around 10:15 AM, if there is anybody that wants to ride up with me. Just let me know.
Are you bringing the better half ?