• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

26th Annual Hunt for Red October [WI]

MotoWojo

COG #465
REGISTRATION IS OPEN and on the event calendar.

https://concours.org/event-3970563

Please mark your calendars and plan on joining us in southwest Wisconsin for the 26th annual Hunt for Red October ride, scheduled October 9-11th in Dodgeville, WI. For those coming down on Friday, we will meet at the Don Q Inn in Dodgeville, WI for dinner and a social. On Saturday we will meet around noon on Saturday, October 10th at the Sparta Family Restaurant in Sparta, WI. After lunch, route sheets will be handed out and you will have your choice of several routes through some great southwestern Wisconsin roads, with our final destination being the Don Q Inn in Dodgeville, WI and a banquet dinner Saturday night.

Lets' give this a little bump to the top.
Who in MN is going? Are you going on Friday or Saturday?
Is anyone interested in meeting in Stillwater like previous years?

What’s up? Only 8 registered so far, is it because of the COVID-19. Truth be told I’m not fully committed to the Hunt yet, only missed two out of twenty five of attending this event.

Event Update: Due to COVID concerns, the dinner on Friday night and the banquet dinner Saturday night (which were both scheduled to be indoors) have been cancelled. However, the Hunt will go on. The ride on Saturday will proceed as planned. Participants will be responsible for their own meals, and there are numerous restaurant options in Dodgeville within 1-2 miles of the Don Q Inn, including a few who will deliver.

Because there is no banquet dinner to plan for this year, there will be no registration fees, however, we’re still asking that you RSVP so we have an idea of how many riders to prepare for.

Individuals who have already paid a registration fee will be issued refunds.

On Friday(10/9) I will ride up to West Salem(Big Boar BBQ) or some other location to ride down to Dodgeville as a group.
I need to know if there will be a group, and where we want to meet. Normally met at noon-1:00 PM.
There are some nice roads between West Salem and Dodgeville. I also think the colors are going to be the best in years.
Just post post up a plan/idea.
I can also swing over to Dodgeville, to pick up anyone interested in this ride.

I plan on attending. It's too bad about the dinners being cancelled.

Kim, As of now, Stronie will be attending, too. We'll plan on meeting you at Big Boar in West Salem. Not sure how my riding will be. I'm having a lot of severe muscle and joint pain in my legs. My doctors think it's from the new cancer treatment. It's tough to walk, let alone throw a leg over the bike. The pain locations keep moving, but as of now, my right knee and hip are the hot areas. Things appear to be getting somewhat better, and I have another week before the Hunt. Let's hope for the best.

Good to hear Jim. I don't put much credence into extended weather forecasts, but late next week is looking awesome. I am trying to talk "MuddyWaters"(BH) to come down Friday.
Also I would suggest bringing your camping chair, because the weather is going to be nice enough to sit outside. Might be the best colors/weather in many years. Beer tastes better outside anyway.
LikesBikes needs to come down too. We can start talking about the 50th HFRO t-shirt!

Hey Kim, Gary H. here. I would like to meet up with you on Friday, (what time works, 1200 hours ?). Big Boar BBQ is fantastic! I will be solo this year as Judy decided not to ride this time. Too much riding at the Spider and Colorado and Montana. I have a room reserved and would like a roommate if you or anyone else would like to share. Any one ???

Hey Kim, I like your optimism for thinking about a 50th HFRO, alas I’m going to sit this one out. Covid and the extra expense of lodging plus a treadless front tire factor in staying closer to home, as long as it doesn’t rain I’ll be doing a little day ride. The Hunt is due for some well deserved nice weather, have fun and don’t forget to take a picture or two.

Hey Kim, Planning on coming down Friday also for bbq. I am going to call for a room tomorrow. Let me know if you want to split a room if they are still available.

Sure Jeff, I will bunk with you. Make sure you bring a camping chair. I really don't want to spend much time inside the Don Q "socializing".

Unfortunately I tried to get a room today and they were sold out. Not sure if there is other lodging in the area? I am on a list in case any rooms open up.

Thanks for trying, but that is OK, didn't really want to stay there anyway. Don't worry about me, I might go camping or just go back home.

If anyone is interested, I'll be leaving from the Freedom gas station in downtown Prescott, WI at 8:30 AM for the ride to Big Boar BBQ in West Salem. So far there's four of us in the group. If anyone else wants to join us, let me know.

It will be a bit of a slower ride from the normal pace of the Hunt, but it will be fun. Sounds like the weather will be perfect for riding.

The Hunt was great. A small crowd of dedicated riders attended. The weather was perfect, better than most of the 14 years I've been there. It was a bit brisk on Sunday morning, but no rain or snow. The fall colors were outstanding. No photos. I was too busy riding and enjoying the wonderful Wisconsin Alphabet roads.

The COG group managed to have a great time. We did order in food both nights and ate around campfires. Maybe even consumed a few adult beverages after the kickstands were down and the bikes were parked.

Even though we had a small crowd, the Don Q was sold out. Seems like many others, not from our group, had the courage to leave their fear bubbles and enjoy life. For those of us that ride, we got the celebrate life and enjoy the company of our friends.

Thanks for the report Jim, I didn’t know the Don Q was set up for bonfires, now I’m kicking myself a little more for missing it this year. Instead of going to the Hunt I spent a week up at the shack, had a couple nice days. Saw the trees go from peak color to no leaves at all, got out of there yesterday before the snow started. Got a job for a couple days that replenished the beer fund, had a good farewell to the end summer.

Actually, the Don Q is not set up for bonfires. Friday night we took over the NE corner of the parking lot. That corner was littered with junk BBQs and trash. We moved a picnic table over to the corner and started a small fire in the corner. The trash and junk came from a Spanish speaking work crew staying at the Don Q. One of the BBQs was a gas grill with an empty tank, still connected, but in a trash bag with empty beer cans. They turned it into a charcoal grill instead of refilling the tank.

By Saturday afternoon, the Mexicans reclaimed that corner, so we moved to the site of the burned out restaurant. It seemed fitting to have a small fire over there. It worked out well. The Mexicans even got blamed for our Friday night fire. I sure hope they cleaned up the trash before they left the Don Q. I'd hate to think our group would be accused of making the Don Q trashy.