• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

27th Annual Hunt for Red October [WI]

MuddyWaters

Bold North AAD
The 27th Annual Hunt for Red October is scheduled for Friday, October 8th through Sunday October 10th. For those that can join us on Friday, we’ll have an impromptu dinner (perhaps pizzas again this year) at the Don Q Inn. We’ll still meet for lunch on Saturday, October 9th at the Sparta Family Restaurant at the intersection of I-90 and Hwy. 27 in Sparta, and then ride a variety of great southwestern Wisconsin roads to Dodgeville as usual

REGISTRATION IS OPEN and on the event calendar.

https://concours.org/event-4092684

The 27th Annual Hunt for Red October is scheduled for Friday, October 8th through Sunday October 10th. For those that can join us on Friday, we’ll have an impromptu dinner (perhaps pizzas again this year) at the Don Q Inn. We’ll still meet for lunch on Saturday, October 9th at the Sparta Family Restaurant at the intersection of I-90 and Hwy. 27 in Sparta, and then ride a variety of great southwestern Wisconsin roads to Dodgeville as usual

REGISTRATION IS OPEN and on the event calendar.

https://concours.org/event-4092684
Seems this event has quietly slipped through the cracks. Need to get some forum chatter going.

The lack of chatter has created a lack of registration, and the reserved room date has slipped by.
There is a minimum for the banquet dinner to occur on Saturday. If the minimum(28+/-) is not met by this Tuesday(9/21) the Saturday meal will be done just like last year, by ordering out. Do not worry if you registered early, you will be reimbursed any registration fees.
Another question is:
Will there be the annual lunch meeting at Big Boar BBQ in West Salem on Friday? In the past, LikesBikes/TundraTom have led excellent rides from West Salem to Dodgeville.

Last edited:
I put my registration in this morning. My room was all ready reserved, but I was waiting for news on delivery of the front cowling for the FJR. No news yet, but there is some time before the Hunt. I really don't want to ride the CBR, but after doing a couple of longer mileage days on the CBR, it might be possible. I'll just need more pain killers and some serious time in the hot tub.

See you at the Hunt.

I was unable to book a room at the Don Q, so if anyone is looking for roommate I would be interested. Let me know here or send me a PM.

Sorry to hear that Randy, I really enjoyed your routes.
I can lead a ride down from West Salem. I will run the C14 in ECO-Mode, so the Yamaha riders can keep up. LMAO!
-Or I can follow someone else.
Meet at BBBQ at 12:00, leave at 1:00 PM +/-?

Last edited:
So I bit the bullet and got the last room they had, the blue room which is a suite that costs a little more than a standard room but should be worth it to maintain my status as one who attended the most HFRO events.
I still have previous route sheets from Minnesota to the Don Q, if anyone is interested I can post a picture here.

I will be riding the FJR, so I might be able to keep up, even if you're not in Eco mode. My front cowling is backordered with no est. delivery date. The vendor said it could be two days, two weeks or much later. Based on that info, I started to patch my broken front cowling back together. Thought I was done, but found two more pieces that needed so serious JB weld fixin'. I'll be cleaning things up tomorrow and hope to start the re-install on Thursday. Put in new LED headlight bulbs today, because it was easy with everything apart.

The FJR won't win any bike show awards, but it should be functional until the new part arrives. It's probably sitting in a container in the harbor of LA or San Diego.

Still need to put the new rear tire on the CBR after the Spider Ride. I wore thing out! Cord is showing and it won't hold air. That will be tomorrow's project.

We could meet up at the Big Boar BBQ at noonish, or for more variety of food we could go to the tried and true Sparta Family Restaurant, a little further to go but worth it.
Minnesota group, does everyone want to do a group ride to lunch. We could meet up at the place from the spring ride, Holiday station at 15 and I94 or the Holiday in Prescott. Cast your vote.
My plan is to take most of the ride on the Wisconsin River road to T after the Black River and ride the Mindoro cut.

We are heading out Friday morning from the Holiday station on the northeast corner of I94 and 15, kickstands up at 9:00 Lunch will be at the he Big Boar BBQ in West Salem at 12:00 - 12:30

Minnesota riders, the River road can be a nice long ride but to mix it up I do have an alternate route to get on the back roads after Alma that won’t take a lot of time to make it to lunch. Gonna be a great ride.

I hate to even mention this, but the weather is looking awesome for Saturday and Sunday. I don't think anybody riding north on Sunday will have to worry about snow this year. It has been a bit dry down here this summer, plus it has not frosted yet. So the colors are probably gonna be about as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Snow? OMG!! :eek:
I forget the difference's in climate we see in the club.
We're still dodging Hurricanes and it's finally cool enough to ride again. Only about 90.. 🤠
ZG/ZN is my "Yankee Buddy". (y)
Wish I was there with ya.

Ride safe, Ted

The HFRO event description in the COG Event Calendar now includes download links for the GPX/GPS files for three popular route options between the Sparta Family Restaurant and the Don Q Inn.

TCARS!

Mark

HFRO Route Options.jpg

Last edited:
Road Construction Alert - I rode the Mississippi RIver Route on Friday and just wanted to alert everyone to a road closure at the beginning of the route. Just after leaving Sparta you take I-90 west to HWY 162. The exit from I-90 to Hwy 162 is closed for construction. To avoid having to backtrack, I would recommend taking hwy 16 when you leave Sparta to Hwy 162 in Bangor. Hwy 16 runs parallel to I-90.

Mark

Randy and Dave, Thanks for putting together a most wonderful Hunt!!! 80' and sunny is hard to beat in October!

Randy, Thanks for a great ride down and back ... even doing twisties in the rain.

Kim, Thanks for helping me find a place to rest on Saturday... help patch Brian's tire ... and take Keith home with you to get a used tire!

Gary and Jane, Thanks for coming from afar and helping bring some new life into the old Hunt!!! VIP's from out of town are great to see!

I know it's a little too sweet .. but my wife calls this ' An attitude of Gratitude' . Thanks to all who came!

Roger beat me to the punch....

I haven't been to a COG event for a while, but certainly glad I made it to the Hunt! I rode some fun twisties, got wet, dried off, got fed, won a hat, found a tire, lost a glove, and overall had a great time!

Thanks to everyone who organized the event.

Special thanks to Kim for getting me set up with enough rear rubber to get home!

Keith

This year’s Hunt was a memorable one, it’s been awhile since the weather was as warm as it was, even going up on Friday with some rain it was tolerable. And thanks Roger, Keith and everyone else for being competent riders keeping the worries low even when it took awhile to be able to account for the headlights that should be behind me.
It’s heartening to see this ride that I put together at a planning session almost 28 years ago still going strong.
A great event to wind down the riding season.