• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

28th Annual Hunt for Red October [WI] - October 14-16

MotoWojo

COG #465
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 6.26.45 PM.png

The 28th Annual Hunt for Red October is scheduled for Friday, October 14th through Sunday October 16th. For those that can join us Friday night at the Don Q Inn in Dodgeville, we’ll probably order some pizzas again this year and pass the hat to cover the cost.

If you can't make it to Dodgeville on Friday, don't worry, you can meet up with the group on Saturday between Noon - 12:30 PM at the Sparta Family Restaurant at the intersection of I-90 and Hwy. 27 in Sparta, WI (see map).

Following lunch, riders typically break into smaller groups and plan a route through a variety of great roads in the heart of the driftless area in southwestern Wisconsin, with the final destination being the Don Q Inn in Dodgeville, WI.

If you can't make the banquet Saturday night, but you have time for a day ride, or you just want to meet the group, kick some tires, share tall tales, etc., consider meeting us at the Sparta Family Restaurant around Noon on Saturday to say hello and maybe ride some of the roads after lunch.

REGISTRATION IS OPEN and on the event calendar. Don't forget to make your reservations at the Don Q Inn!

https://concours.org/event-4709232

Those attending from MInnesota and Northwest WI, post your plans here if you know them.

Who is going on Friday? Is there interest in meeting at the Big Boar BBQ in West Salem for lunch??

Last edited:
Brian, I plan on going down Friday morning. Do we have a group going or ???

I also invited a friend from Chicago ... JR... and he is going to meet us in Dodgeville Friday pm.

I'm heading for Dodgeville Friday AM. Not sure if there's a group going, but I might be open to that. I plan on having a relaxed ride, probably a similar route as prior years. I think Stronie will be joining me.

If you plan on riding hard and fast, you should probably with someone else. I will slow some of you down. Yes, I'm getting old and riding slower, but with the meds I'm on, caution is required. I don't want to bleed out from missing a corner because I was riding too fast. Living life on the edge is one thing but going over the edge is stupid and possibly fatal for me. I've already exceeded my quota of "stupid things I've done in my life".

I'm in favor of meeting for lunch at Big Boar BBQ.

Roger, I am not aware of an organized ride from our neck of the woods.

Cookie, I would be interested in tagging along on Friday to Dodgeville. Let me kow your plans.

I can lead a ride to the Don Q Friday morning starting about 8:30 from the Holiday station on Manning and I94 and follow the tried and true route from past HFRO rides with a lunch stop at the Big Boar BBQ around 12:30.

I've been planning to go on Friday. Happy to tag along with the group leaving from Lake Elmo Holiday.

Who's remembering to bring along the weather like last year?

I will also tag along on Friday from the Lake Elmo Holiday. At this point the weather looks to be dry, but it may be a bit chilly

If anyone is looking for a room, I have a reservation for both nights and have a spare bed.

Last edited:
I'll meet the group at Lake Elmo Holiday Friday AM. Randy can lead the faster group. I can lead anyone who wants to ride at a more relaxed rate. It probably the same route, but behind the lead group.

We can ride together until after the break in Pepin, there after I will lead a reasonable and prudent ride on to the alphabet roads of Wisconsin. Another option is doing it the elephant way, putting the slow and decrepit in the front and letting them set the pace.

Thanks for the offer of the elephant way. I thought about leading a slower group and leaving a half hour earlier but ruled it out. It would just create a log jam further down the road. Nothing worse than a slow log jam preventing others from having a fun ride or having to take unnecessary chances to get around it. I've been stuck behind groups like that and didn't like it. I don't want to do that to anyone else.

Many of this group want and expect a spirited HFRO ride. I used to be in that group. I've had to think about my medical realities and my comfort levels and make some tough decisions. I have a number of doctors that don't think I should be riding or downhill skiing ever. The risk for me is far too great. In my case, any mishap can result in bleeding out. There are only three locations in Minnesota that has a reversal agent for my blood thinner, so the chance of getting it in time is close to zero. Hence, I need to slow my pace down. I may be stupid for still doing these things, but I can justify it by altering how I do it. I'm not ready to give this stuff up yet.

The last thing I want is to do dictate my pace and riding comfort level onto others. Please, feel free to ride fast and spirited. I don't want to slow anyone down or make them wait for me. Have fun. Go fast and take chances. We all should ride our own ride.

Stronie and I are going to ride together. We will meet everyone in Lake Elmo and will ride at the back of the pack. Please don't wait for us. Others can join us if you want. If not, that's cool. Yes, we may alter the route depending on our progress. We will get to Dodgeville and have plenty of time for beverages and parking lot fellowship. I hope they will let us have an inside fire around the barber chairs. Let's keep this fun for everyone.

All y'all have fun up there. I'm currently "camping" off of the 421 highway south of Bristol, TN just for two weeks of fun. It's s'posed to get down in the twenties down here early next week. I was "enjoying" the low nineties yesterday, thankfully the A/C in the "camper" handles all that with aplomb. And the furnace works well, also, and the electric blanket. Yes, I've turned into a Flowriduh wimp.

Again, have fun and ride focused. Hopefully see a bunch of y'all at the Spider next year.

30 folks (+/-) braved the snow and cold to see the Red October!

Many thanks to Dave and Gary for hosting the event! Thanks to Randy for leading the MN group down (in the snow) and back to MN!