• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2andBlue Acquires CDA - Right Of Passage

2andblue

COG Executive Director
On 4-Dec, 2021 I COG member 13295 dropped our C14.

The feeling of dropping your motorcycle can only be truly understood looking backward but first you have to live through it forward.

NEVER have I dropped a Connie (C10 or C14) or any machine out riding; won't happen to me - right...? Only time, before this weekend, I dropped a machine was winter of 2008 repositioning a 1979 KZ750 in the garage. So here goes....

Sitting in the pilot's chair, machine idling / warming up, I reached with both hands to the left plugging in my heated gear when I let the machine rest to the left. After the machine 'rested' to a certain point I recognized the kickstand was not down and I was in big trouble, momentum built rapidly.

Crossed my mind 🤔 "I can save this" but then thought wiser move was to slow the drop to a gentle landing instead of trying to save, possibly hurting myself with the already established momentum or cause more damage by almost saving then falling with or atop the machine... I managed to slow the drop to a gentle landing.

My wife thankfully hadn't saddled up yet and was a few feet behind me taking in a last look at the scenery. Since machine was running (in neutral) when I grabbed the bars to slow the drop I twisted the throttle and scared the heck out of her. We were @ Calvert Cliff State Park in Delaware, very quiet place, she thought I was trying to wake the fossils as the full exhaust barked a rev-bomb like no other!!! She turned around shocked, then immediately asked if I was ok, realizing I was not being a hoodlum but rather something went very wrong.

I was fearful there would be significant plastic or saddle bag damage. Just two minor underbelly scratches that unless one knew where to look would not see.

Looking back now I/We got very lucky ➡️ First and foremost my wife had not saddled up yet, secondly I did not get injured (other than ego-which I don't take very seriously anyway...) and only damage to the machine is equivalent to road debris scratches.

Lesson Learned: Length in the saddle can lead to complacencies and nowhere is your guard down as sitting in a deserted parking lot... Always doublecheck the kickstand is down before removing your hands from the handlebars and 'resting' a machine.

Welcome to the club....

Ive dropped.mine twice in 6 years, both on the right side. 1st time Canyon cage protected the body work, BUT being frugal i op-ed not to get the saddle bag protectors and scratched a bottom corner. Fast forward 4 years and oops i did it again (sorry Britney) scratched the bag in the same dam place. Learned my lesson and installed the trex bag guards.... IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!

As the event is happening, many a COGger has thought and believed, "I can save this." And sometimes it's even true, but for the rest...

Glad your damage was so minor.

Jump on over to this link and enter your specifics as you want them listed and we'll get you a number of honor.
CDA# Sub Form

Last edited by a moderator: