• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2nd Fall Ride for South Central

If a second fall ride other than Jack's was planned, where should it be?

• Big Bend / Davis Mountains

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Write in candidate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kv5e

South Central Area Director - COG 5063
Staff member
Let's get some symmetry to our rally schedules and try to add a second ride in the fall, perhaps a month before Jack's up in Mountain View.

Please participate in the poll and help out on some decision making for the SC Area.

My thanks in advance for your thoughts with discussion to follow.

Craig

I voted Hill Country but not because it is close to me and not the sisters area.  I was thinking more eastern hill country like Blanco or Marble Falls.  Maybe even staying in far west Austin area like Lakeway or Dripping Springs.  There are lots of roads in the area we/you never see at the Wildflower rides because of the sisters attraction.

Not trying to start a heated debate but I'm going to throw in my opinion. Even though it may not be well received, but that's okay.

I don't think there should be another one added. Jack's has been on the decline since 2011, I think more effort should be put in to it. Get it built back up or it will most likely just die. Or just start another fall ride & dump Jack's. The number of forum views & attendance says a lot about interest in a event.

Jack's past attendance:                        Forum views:
            2011 - 26                                          5072
            2012 - 20                                          4746
            2013 - 20                                          1797
            2014 -18                                            1208

This pretty much says it all!

I think our s/c events should be more structured. As they are now, there nothing more than extended meet & greets. A common hotel is picked & you just show up do what you want. This is the very reason the 5 or 6 COG events I attended this year besides the National's were in other areas.
They are structured, which is more fun. No I don't mind riding 500 - 1,000 miles for a weekend event. After all that's what we do, is ride.

Bob Smith took a poll on this very subject on Dec. 6, 2010. It was not well received then either. Only 17 voted & less structured won out.

Some will say a structured event is to much work. It is a lot of work but well worth it, to see everyone else enjoy themselves. I know because I did it this year with the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous. My whole family pitched in & anxious to do it again. It was well attended & will be even more so next year (I think).

50% that attended traveled 500 - 1,000 miles to attend. Are we seeing a pattern here?

Bottom line is someone needs to step up adopt each one of these events, put some effort in to it. Make it more than an extended meet & greet before anymore are added.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Cliff,

I think Jack's has held its own in the last three years and the only reason it was not the same this year as last is because Pamela and I used our vacation time for something else we had never done before - OFF ROAD 4x4 in Big Bend with Troy guarding our six.

Also, forum views are an indication of forum activity and in the SC there are many folks who regularly have attended the rides for years and have infrequently posted on the forums. Frankly, a lot of the threads I have seen with many posts have a poor signal to noise ratio at times. Forum views do not always equate to observable activity at rides, at least as a directly correlating function and particularly in the SC.

Houston/San Antonio to AR is a long haul for many riders, so i think a second ride in the central Texas area would have as many if not more participants. I would likely go to both in the fall.

More options is better in my book, and the whole point of this exercise to GET FOLKS TO ATTEND AN EVENT THEY WOULD LIKELY COME TO!!!!!

Considering the population centers, it has the seeds of promise if the right leader will step up
. My intent here is to elicit feedback from the members about what they would like to do.

I have directly or indirectly hosted an annual ride now for 12+ years, so I speak with some experience in these matters. Attendance at Big Bend has picked up a lot and I have published a pretty nice ride guide. There's a great venue to stay, a great dinner venue all to COG members only, nightly campfires, great restaurants, nearby camping for those who wish to camp in Alpine. There's not a lot more to do except outgrow the venue which would be a great problem!

Thank you for stepping up and having a spring ride in AR. In particular your ride appeals to a lot of folks who like to camp and using your spread as a "base of operations" has been a valued endeavor on your part. I wish you continued success and lots of forum views.

The real need here is for folks WHO LIVE IN THE HILL COUNTRY AREAS to take the lead here and host a fall ride. I am just trying to be the catalyst along with Fred.

I myself steer away from rides that are over structured for the sake of structuring. There's a balance needed and I can ride with Pamela and couple of other folks I know and have the greatest time without someone telling me to or posting on a forum for that matter.  ;D

De oppresso liber,

Craig

Leslie and I both did not attend Jacks this year for personal reasons.  We also have not ridden the bike more then 50 miles since the last Nationals, also for the same personal reasons.  In fact my involvement in COG has dropped to an occasional glance at the forum at lunch from work.  There is a fair chance my involvement with COG will drop to zero at some point.  That is why I am not jumping up to host rides or to be AAD.  My life is changing and who knows where it will lead.

The good news is you can see what is going on in the SE area of COG.  Given the right leadership and member interest you can grow an area to be very strong and adding loads of new members.  I tried for a few years but my time was up.  Fred is trying but is hitting the same walls as I did.

I do agree that more structured events is better for some and worse for others.  I come to an event to ride.  Even at the Nationals you usually see us hanging in the bar or whatever while events are going on.  Others come to socialize more then ride because they can ride any day. 

I think the more we get our members active the more active it will get.  The more members we solicit the more active it will get.  That is why Fred and I continually beg for the membership to get more involved.  Make an event and grab every Concours rider you see and get them in the club.

Robert.

I agree and I want to see more members and a few more events in SC.  More local rides in each major metro area and being engaged with local riders is what builds grassroots membership.

I have had been a member since 2001 and i notice that there are a lot of loyal folks to COG that I have met over the years who still come to the CORE EVENTS. I also met new faces on the RTE last month who are interested.

This is the time to speak up folks......you have our attention. :beerchug:

Craig

I have read a couple of times where some have mentioned wanting more members...  I moved to the SC area almost 2 years ago now, and went to the first 2 or 3 RTE's that I could make and heard nothing more than complaining during our breakfast or lunch of the day about how some helped, some didn't, some don't like camping, etc...  Very little positive talk of the group at all!  I made the Wildflower Ride last year and with the exception of probably 2 people or so, never had anyone else say more than excuse me as we walked by each other at the Dinner that Saturday night for the most part.  Probably not a good way to gain members...  I wanted to bring something to the area as I have been in 2 different areas prior to here and have enjoyed them.  I was looking forward to bringing some of that to the SC, but no longer have any interest in doing so due to the way this area does things in general...  I hate it, but will continue to pay my dues and support this group in other ways!  Just a thought, but I would try something different on gaining new members.

First thing 'organized' would probably be a better word than structured. I think I picked that up from Bob's 2010 post.

Just because you & Pamela didn't show, it's not the same? Really!

If this ride is completely dependent on a few regulars showing up, it's failing. It's simply not attracting any new interest. If declining by just over a 1/3 in 3 years means it's holding it's own, I guess I have increase, decrease & level confused.
At least I can look at my stock portfolio in a whole new light now, I'm really making money. I just didn't know it  :-[.

As far as forum views go, I disagree with you & I never mentioned posting. I know many long time members never post. But they still VEIW. If no one is reading about an event, that translates into no interest. If you're have a bike for sale & no one is viewing the ad, there's no interest. It want sell. Same basic concept.

Views on this thread have by increased 50% in just 13 hours. I guess all that noise is a bad thing though, maybe they'll quit looking.

I've only been around COG a few years, so no I don't have the wealth of experience you have. I based my first try at hosting a ride on experience's I've had in other area's, it even worked imagine that. There just more fun, a whole different atmosphere & camaraderie. Honestly, if it wasn't for me venturing off to experience another area's event. I would not still be around COG.

Just because it's organized, doesn't mean you're being told when & were to ride or who to ride with. Just means things are provided to you, for your convenience. Someone else is working for your enjoyment. I guess giving you a set dinner time is being rude & pushy.

I also know Bob tried & Fred's trying never said they weren't. That's partly why I mentioned Bob's 2010 post, this is an on going problem.
I commend both of them for stepping up & putting forth the effort. There taking on a job I for one do not want.

Bottom line is more effort needs to be put into the rides we have. Maybe even attract members from other area's.

I want to let the members know I am aware of this thread and I am reading every post. 

I am withholding making any comments because I think it is a good discussion, and I would like it to run its course before I make any comments or statements.

They leveled the Queen Wilhelmena lodge, building it from ground up, should be ready "early 2015," might make the OK/Talimena option a nice choice

Just Cliff said:
First thing 'organized' would probably be a better word than structured. I think I picked that up from Bob's 2010 post.

Just because you & Pamela didn't show, it's not the same? Really!

If this ride is completely dependent on a few regulars showing up, it's failing. It's simply not attracting any new interest. If declining by just over a 1/3 in 3 years means it's holding it's own, I guess I have increase, decrease & level confused.
At least I can look at my stock portfolio in a whole new light now, I'm really making money. I just didn't know it  :-[.

As far as forum views go, I disagree with you & I never mentioned posting. I know many long time members never post. But they still VEIW. If no one is reading about an event, that translates into no interest. If you're have a bike for sale & no one is viewing the ad, there's no interest. It want sell. Same basic concept.

Views on this thread have by increased 50% in just 13 hours. I guess all that noise is a bad thing though, maybe they'll quit looking.

I've only been around COG a few years, so no I don't have the wealth of experience you have. I based my first try at hosting a ride on experience's I've had in other area's, it even worked imagine that. There just more fun, a whole different atmosphere & camaraderie. Honestly, if it wasn't for me venturing off to experience another area's event. I would not still be around COG.

Just because it's organized, doesn't mean you're being told when & were to ride or who to ride with. Just means things are provided to you, for your convenience. Someone else is working for your enjoyment. I guess giving you a set dinner time is being rude & pushy.

I also know Bob tried & Fred's trying never said they weren't. That's partly why I mentioned Bob's 2010 post, this is an on going problem.
I commend both of them for stepping up & putting forth the effort. There taking on a job I for one do not want.

Bottom line is more effort needs to be put into the rides we have. Maybe even attract members from other area's.

I was discussing statistics on the Jack's numbers not personal worthiness of attendees.....not sure of your tone here, but if we had attended the rider numbers have not have been in a "linear regression to zero" and that refutes the assertion that the ride is dying.

There is always room from improvement! Now.....I am all for increasing numbers at the ride at Jack's and other rides....we are certainly in agreement there! :beerchug:

There's no contention *whatsoever* between us on that issue and insofar as experience or structuring/organization, I certainly did not intend to come off with hubris or division. I am for forum views but I am careful not to be blinded by forum view statistics, but rather observable metrics of rider/member/leadership participation in posted events.

There are some real efforts being made to improve the SC participation in their own events and others that you are not yet aware of, so I would ask your patience. You will see some significant improvements, so I assure you and others in the SC that there shall be:

1. Increased activities for member participation in events (both forum and COG members)
2. Much improved communications with the SC members with a polished monthly newsletter
3. Polished webpage presence for SC
4. Socialization at events is the priority now for both new members and first time attendees,
5. We will welcome all riders whether they are on stratospheric cost imports or a Cushman scooter!!!! It's about the ride and having fun in COG......join for the bike....stay for the people.
6. The list will grow......

Now I want to thank you for the spring AR ride you host. You are in a unique geographical and demographic position to attract riders from all over the NC,SC, and SE regions due to the road choices/your venue. Additionally, there is a segment of riders who enjoy camping out and riding and the MORE THE MERRIER. I for one would like to see more non-camping participates join in next year for your ride and I hope they see the value that your COG event offers.

I think we are on the same page on organized rides, we had a semantic disagreement on what the polarizing word *structured* meant. Posts are like emails.....sometimes the emotive meaning is mashed in the bits and perceptions of the senders/recipients.

What is more important that structure right now is just the existence of an event on the calendar from a leader or member in the SC and that's what is being catalyzed as we speak. We need Mark Burns up there on his HD dresser to ring the school bell on all of these "hot shot" riders on C10/C14/FJR bikes. The point is "it's not the bike, it's the people" and that is where the laser like focus is now aimed.

In summary,

1. We agree we need more events
2. We agree we should provide organization for events so the "managed tasks" (of which there are many) are checked off and ready for smooth riding and a great time for all.
3. We agree that better communications is a positive, both forum and Area and National published newsletters
4. We agree that folks should feel welcomed and have a great time again in events
5. We agree that there needs to be more *seed corn* cast so COG can harvest more members who enjoy the resources offered.
6. We agree that even old members coming is OK, but lots of new folks is even BETTER!!!!

I am not sure where the disagreement exists!!!! :beerchug:

No one person can succeed, it takes a committed team of folks who share a common vision and set observable goals that can be measured and improved upon.

I hope to see you in AR in April, if the time off is available! :great: :motonoises:

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria,

Craig

copdocpvd said:
They leveled the Queen Wilhelmena lodge, building it from ground up, should be ready "early 2015," might make the OK/Talimena option a nice choice

Thanks! I like Talimena so a three day ride in May is a great option here. One challenge is the lead time to stay at the lodge. There's a good motel in Mena "Sun Country" that I have stayed in so that is another option for the roads.

Pretty easy to get to Mt. Magazine for lunch from Mena and it is an under 5 hour ride from DFW. I like it as it is another option to discuss.

Let's see what other folks think!

Thanks again for your thoughts, they are valued!

Craig

Craig,

I not trying to start a confrontation nor do I want one. My picking finger does not translate my thoughts into words very well. It's only a few feet between my head & the tip of my finger. But a lot gets lost in that distance.

You & Pamela weren't there nor was Bob & Leslie or myself. I understand what you're saying about the numbers, but it's still seems dependent on regulars showing up. At least for the numbers to be there. Jack's is in the same unique geographical area that I'm in.
So it has the same opportunity to attract riders from several areas, but it doesn't. Except the 2 n/c regulars.

As for more non campers participating in my ride, I'm working on more alternatives. My spare bedroom's will be open to non camping couples as they were last year. I'll have my 2 tents available for anyone that wants to try camping without buying a tent.

The common goal is to improve the s/c participation which is the root of the problem. Which I think we agree on.

copdocpvd said:

I have leveled my disgust with the state of Arkansas over their poor planning on this construction job. That job should/could have been finished in 6 months if done by a good construction company rather than the state.  Queen Wilhelmina is one of Arkansas's most popular motorcycle areas. They have lost ALOT of business to the m/c community. I have wanted to plan a ride to the area but have been waiting for them to finish this project. A fall ride to the Queen Wilhelmina/Mt. Magazine would be a great option. Another good ride is Mena up to Hwy 23 to Eureka Springs (another good overnight ride option).   

Jim Snyder said:
copdocpvd said:

I have leveled my disgust with the state of Arkansas over their poor planning on this construction job. That job should/could have been finished in 6 months if done by a good construction company rather than the state.  Queen Wilhelmina is one of Arkansas's most popular motorcycle areas. They have lost ALOT of business to the m/c community. I have wanted to plan a ride to the area but have been waiting for them to finish this project. A fall ride to the Queen Wilhelmina/Mt. Magazine would be a great option. Another good ride is Mena up to Hwy 23 to Eureka Springs (another good overnight ride option). 

So many great road options in AR!!!! It is hard to pick a single place to please all but staying in Mena or Russellville are nice choices. Mena has the Sun Country Inn http://suncountryinn.com/ and reservations there would likely be easier. There's also the Skyline Cafe, Branding Iron, and other good places to eat in Mena.

Eureka Springs is also a great venue as most of us know.

Russellville might be one of the better road option choices as roads S and N of I 40 will all be in reach of extended day rides from there.

Maybe we move it every year and keep it fresh? The more rural roads are better in the fall if the colors are out as AR 7 gets clogged with cages.

There's nothing wrong with Jack's location, but some fresh venues might get additional attendance.

One advantage of Eureka Springs are the maps/GPS routes from 2012 that new riders could leverage.

Two days in Russellville puts just about any great road in reach and the permutations of routes are downright tantalizing! :motonoises: :72:

We have some folks who come in campers/toy haulers so wherever it is that needs to be considered.

Craig

Craig,
  I love the idea of moving the fall ride to a different location every year. You can never run out of good roads in Arkansas (hence the name of the 2012 national "No Bad Roads rally".)

Jim Snyder said:
Craig,
  I love the idea of moving the fall ride to a different location every year. You can never run out of good roads in Arkansas (hence the name of the 2012 national "No Bad Roads rally".)

I do too!!!!!

This requires more work as new venues have to have the managed tasks for the ride completed.....base location, campers' place, eats/dinner location, no bed bugs, etc. There's lots of choices locked up in heads of the SC members, we just need to get busy and start working on it now.

Mena, Russellville, Eureka Springs, Mountain View, Harrison, and the list goes on. Also, a "rolling rally" is not out of the question either.

AR mandates two rides a year IMHO, best roads in the SC from a quantity/quality perspective and also gets folks from the NC and  the SE to join in.

Cliff has a lock on April with the Horseshoe Mountain event. Fall rally can have some variety and after the shakeout perhaps be rotated around every year. I could even see a three day ride in Mena in May.  This year the National is Mid June, but some years it is much later. I have gone to Talimena in May and had a blast with the  Skyway and a ride up to Mt. Magazine.

So some new locales for the fall AR ride, what about a second ride in the fall?

1. Hill country base camp a little further east or not right in Kerrville (Dripping Springs, Lago Vista, Devil's Backbone?)
2. East Texas - lots of roads out there to enjoy (Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Alto, Weches area) and that gives the Houstink folks some love.
3. Rev Chuck's garage
4. WRITE IN CANDIDATE in a forum post

I might even go to AR twice in the fall!

Craig

Craig

I have really enjoyed the breakfast and lunch meets that I have been able to attend. I work 70 hours most weeks on night-shift so if I show up for a meet on Saturday it is with very little sleep. Personally I have never liked structured events and much prefer to ride as much as possible with maybe 2 other riders that ride in a similar style. While I wish that there were more opportunities here in Houston I do not know the area well enough to create my own ride and depend on fellow Coggers to allow me to tag along. Work obligations have kept me from making any meets this year. I much prefer to ride on Sunday because there is less traffic and our group seems to meet up on Saturday so I ride solo most of the time. The out of state rides will not fit in with my current responsibilities.

Have not been on the forum in awhile so I missed the poll. I like the hill country but not Kerrville . Rode with another group in October and we stayed in Marble Falls and rode the hill country north and south of I10. I use to put on a motorcycle event every spring and it was not structured and had good turnout each year in the beginning . After about 5 years attendance started to level off and then drop. By year 10 I decided the work and the other ******** and whining from folks was not worth the enjoyment.
And Fred thank you for the thankless job you are doing .

Dave and Cliff may have picked up on a point. Maybe we should move the Events periodically.
                                                                    Maybe we should do different events.
                                                                    Maybe we should have new events with NEW organizers..

When I was involved in doing the Big bend Ride we initially did a different Hotel or town every year.
Over time, we ended up doing the same motel/town every year after that. (was easier to do)
(It is still held in the same town but another Motel)...
If memory serves me, participation was growing each year, stabilized, and has now apparently dropped off.

I personally stopped going to Big Bend (partially) because I've rode the same Roads so many times.
Starting to feel he same about Wildflower. (If the wife didn't love the Motel we may have stopped going there as well)...

Perhaps, it's time to do the same events, but change the locations a bit??
Perhaps, it's time that someone NEW step up and put on these events.
  (No complaints, but I know the Regulars are getting a bit tired)... We need some new folks...

I'll close with: putting on a successful event is dependent on successfully spreading the word about that event...
                    My method was to spend hours each day, talking on the Forum etc. (Not the best way, but it was mine)
                    Lately we announce the event in various places and wait to see who shows up.
                    For an event to grow, people have to get excited about it.
                    Discussing the event is a VERY good way to share that excitement..

Spreading the Word, is NOT the sole problem of the guy putting on the event, or the AD and AAD's..
                    The word has to be spread "by everyone" in order to excite others about an event...

Ride safe, Ted

I totally agree with the end of Ted's post and do think we have to really talk up any event we are having in COG to get the best turnout and most interest in an event.  I am confused and would like to hear what people think is or refer to so much as a "structured" event/rally.  The big turn out rides I have been to only normally have a good meal put together for everyone and a good campfire of an evening!  Any and all just get up and ride each day as they please with whomever they probably decided to ride along with the night before.  There is a lot of work put into them by the organizers but all good events will require this!

I was reading back on this discussion and want to reply to a couple of things that caught my attention.

First of all: The Topic of the discussion: 2nd Fall Ride for South Central
                I'm for it Craig. Let me know if I can help...

Next Confrontation: I don't think so. Was just miss-understood. But, if it was confrontational,,, it was put there to stir discussion.
                              So, let's continue to discuss!

Moto2wheelin mentioned not being greeted/invited at the Wildflower ride; That one confuses mea bit. The Wildflower is one event that we meet more with people than others. We set around the campfire and swap lies to the late hours. A favorite meeting place is in the parking lot, working on Rev's bike...    Everyone can join in and usually does. (both lie swapping and working on rev's bike)    (I think I recall it was rainy 2 years ago) perhaps they group's didn't form (Or Rev's bike may not  have broken that '1' time) ..       
Regardless, Moto/others,, "be there next year" and join in with us. Wildflower is a favorite of the wife's. So, BRING YOUR WIFE!

Lastly: I'm supposed to be the AAD in Houston Area, but haven't been very busy. Work, surgery, "life",,, slowed me down.

Well, I retired, got a new knee, and bought a new bike... I'll be doing more.
      If anyone has an idea for a gathering, let me know! Let's ride!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS:
Recently, I talked to a COG friend in Louisiana, and brought up the possibility of doing a Natchez Trace ride.
Thinking perhaps we could do it when the Eastern Group rides down the Trace from Nashville.
"Maybe"; We could leave Natchez and meet them somewhere on the Trace?

Is anyone interested?? Thoughts?

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, you forgot to mention our parking lot maintenance sessions we seem to get into every year. We have made alot of contacts there by jumping in and working on someones bike. Most everyone of those encounters was usually with someone I had never met before.

Jim Snyder said:
Ted, you forgot to mention our parking lot maintenance sessions we seem to get into every year. We have made alot of contacts there by jumping in and working on someones bike. Most everyone of those encounters was usually with someone I had never met before.

Yes Sir!  It is NOT a Wildflower Rally unless there is tupperware laying in the parking lot and wrenching/tweaking/fixing going on! :great:

Craig

Oh, contraire..

I did mention the parking lot antics.
hmmmm, Maybe I should make the parking lot antics more specific?    How's this??    See below:

A favorite meeting place is in the parking lot, working on Rev's bike  :nananana:...  
Everyone can join in and usually does. (both lie swapping and working on Rev's bike  :rotflmao:)   
(I think I recall it was rainy 2 years ago) perhaps they group's didn't form (Or Rev's bike may not  have broken that '1' time  :-\) ..

Oh, and (if we're not worn out from Rev's bike) occasionally we work on someone else's bike that needs sum wrenchin'...   

Ride safe, Ted      :)

Moto2wheelin said:
I totally agree with the end of Ted's post and do think we have to really talk up any event we are having in COG to get the best turnout and most interest in an event.  I am confused and would like to hear what people think is or refer to so much as a "structured" event/rally.  The big turn out rides I have been to only normally have a good meal put together for everyone and a good campfire of an evening!  Any and all just get up and ride each day as they please with whomever they probably decided to ride along with the night before.  There is a lot of work put into them by the organizers but all good events will require this!

All events are structured to a certain degree. 

Since I have been a member of COG and the South Central Area Director it was apparent that most of the members that attend the South Central Area events liked to keep their events simple and not bother with T-Shirts, name tags, seminars, and so on.  Our membership is changing though, and with our new and younger members, there may come a time where some things may need to change. 

I guess that is why it is important when members and guest attend our events, if they have any suggestions please pass them on to me, or any AAD.  Matter of fact, even if you haven't attended one of our events and have some suggestions, we are happy to hear them.  We want to make our events enjoyable to all, so we are always open to any and all suggestions.

Moto2wheelin said:

I agree!

First off, lets get the word "structured" out of here. That was picked up by me from Bob's Dec. 2010, while reading back thru many old threads. Trying to get a handle on what's going on here. Bad choice of words, from now on lets go with "organized".

My definition of organized is, basically a convenience package provided to all participants for your enjoyment. This is not the military, you're not being marched around & told what to do. The only timetable to follow is meal time. That's even your choice to show up & eat.

Meals cooked or provided at night. Everyone eats together.
Ice & ice chest, water/soft drinks provided.
Supplies firewood & pit for nightly fire.
Chairs or whatever else maybe needed.

It does take work, planning & effort from the host. Which is only there to provide a good time for everyone else.

The host of this type of thing, typically does not get to ride. Because he's busy making sure you're taken care of.

Brian, my definition of organized is the type ride your accustomed too. Nothing more.

Ted, you nailed it. It was confrontational, but in an effort to stir things up & get a discussion started. Nothing intended negative towards Craig.

Maybe this cleared things up somewhat.

I just got my issue of the Concourier. The article about the Spider Ride pretty much sums everything I was trying to say.

First, apologies, I volunteered for the AAD position, hosted one day ride, then got SWAMPED at work for the latter part of the Summer and most of this Fall. I am kind of free now and looking forward to the Spring rides and to Nationals!!!!!

For me, with work and family, I have to pick and choose when/where I can attend, i.e. Jack's one year, Wildflower the next, Cliff's I hope this year (+national), etc. I greatly enjoy the trip to Jack's, but it is almost a game time decision whether I can make it or not based on schedules. I guess what I am trying to say, adding another ride would give me (and probably others an option), but it would need to be somewhere that doesn't detract from the existing rides. AND, maybe something close enough to the population centers that attracts NEW attendees.

We are doing West Texas. We are doing the Hill Country. We are doing NW Arkansas, and as a bonus there is now a camping option for NW Arkansas. So, in my very linear thinking, that opens up the questions of where are the good roads, and when can we add a ride without hurting something else.

SW Arkansas is great, but using the Lodge to me is a non-starter. Too much lead time necessary to book, which them eliminates folks like me that have to wait until closer to make decisions. But there are options - there is a great State Park (Beaver's Bend) in Broken Bow with a Lodge and Cabins. It is easy to get into, provides access to far SE Oklahoma, and SW Arkansas. It is just a couple of hours from DFW, maybe 3 from OKC, 2.5 to Tulsa, and maybe 3 or 4 depending on where in Arkansas you are. It is harder/further for the folks in central and south Texas (Austin/SA/Houston), but that area of Texas is (somewhat) represented by the Wildflower.

Unfortunately, outside of NW AR, the Hill Country, and Big Bend, there simply aren't a ton of great roads in the region, but in my experience, the next best is that area from Hot Springs down to Broken Bow, followed by East Texas. If at Beaver's Bend, I think for it to be feasible, it would need to be as early in September as possible, but after Labor Day when the parks are going to be full. That would give us a pretty good spread of overnight type rides throughout the year, give us representation in each of the States in the Region, and pretty well cover every twist road from border to border.

Just my .02.

Hey Dalroo,
  My interest in using the Lodge at Queen Wilhelmina was mainly as a lunch stop on a day ride, that is if they ever get finished remodeling it. You are correct that it would not be a good choice for lodging due to the reservation mess, especially after they have been closed for what seems like a decade (yes Arkansas that is a direct slap at you for dragging your feet and taking 3+ years to complete a project that should have taken 6 months). The ride I would like to plan would be a day ride as follows. Meeting in New Boston Tx and kickstands up at 8am, traveling Hwy 8 & 41 to DeQueen. Then up Hwy 70 to Glenwood, Hwy 27/8 to Mt. Ida, then 270/88 around to Mena. Go up the mountain on Hwy 88 to the lodge for a lunch stop, then across Talihina drive and then back to Hwy 259 and take it back to east Texas thru Broken Bow/Idabel. Any thoughts on that route or suggestions?
The two day ride I was thinking about would be the trip to Eureka Springs leaving on Saturday morning early from say DeQueen and traveling up Hwy 59/71 to Mena, then thru Y-City and then talking Hwy 23 thru the nation park all the way to Eureka Springs. Then spending the night in Eureka Springs and riding back on Sunday. Any thoughts on that idea also would be appreciated. 

Jim - I think both are great ideas! I haven't ridden all of those roads, but from knowledge of area, bet they could be fun. The day ride would probably still require most to come in night before to be ready for 8 am ride, but that could be fun as well if enough came in around dinner and maybe find a place for some connoraderie!

Actually, I think the day ride with a possible one night stay might even be the better place to start and see how it grows. Those that wanted to stay second night can do so if they choose.

Let's make it happen!

Count me in!
A 2 day (or even 3 day) "semi"-group ride with a RON somewhere and then return to start point (by a different route) sounds like a "winner" to me!!!

NOTE: COG does not do "Led" Group Rides, but we could all "happen" to ride from one location to another near one another?

Ride safe, Ted

One year when I was doing cheapSTOC we stayed at one location on Friday night then rode Saturday and spent the night at another location . Sunday headed home.

connie_rider said:
NOTE: COG does not do "Led" Group Rides, but we could all "happen" to ride from one location to another near one another?

Ride safe, Ted

Oh sorta like, "I stopped in DeQueen to get gas at the Exxon station at 8am and a bunch of bikers pulled in. Then I left by myself and for some reason they followed me to Mt. Magazine".

So what's the outcome on this? Going by the poll with a whopping 11 votes there will be a second fall ride in south TX. Yea or nay, no decision?

This will be discussed at the rides and conference calls with AD Fred. Rooms are non existent during deer season so the ride needs to be before then.

Craig

I would like to see a second event in the fall.  I would also like to see one in Oklahoma or Louisiana and I do like Bob's idea of possibly having a fall event on the north side of the Hill Country, but then again, how can we rule out Arkansas. 

The first step is for someone to step of and volunteer to host one. 

I read this thread and while I have zero valuable input as a newbie who hasn't even ridden his bike yet, or ever attended an event such as these. I will throw this out, I've been a football coach for almost twenty years and out of all the coaching clinics I've ever attended the one's that were the most fun were the one's where there was "socialtime" penciled in... as in extra long lunch time blocks to encourage socialization, and semi-planned breakout sessions where coaches would breakout into chalktalks.
Now I know these events are about the "ride" and not a coaching clinic. But I do think that as a new member and a complete new guy to a riding meet and greet that I myself would probably be discouraged if I were to attend an event that focused a meet and hi, ride, eat lunch, ride, eat dinner and everyone disperse to their desired bedding down locations venue.  Thus leaving a new guy to either approach regulars who have amassed in their small groups at their desired accommodations to share beers and stories or just retire myself to bed and rinse and repeat the following day.

I've been to many clinics that have done just that and those were no fun regardless of what superstar special guest speaker may have been there.

So for myself I envision a great gathering to include meals and a ride or three! But I for one hope to see some horseshoe pits and or other entertainment in place with semi-organized reasons to attend the entertainment.  And not just a lets meet at joe's bar and talk to the same guys as the last three years!

Just thinking and daydreaming outloud here of the potentials awaiting myself and the wife once I get the bike on the road!
Charlie. 

Charlie, you have a very good point.
I know what you mean about the small groups forming and the new Guy, sometimes feeling left out.
COG does it's best to prevent that.
For instance at the last 4 COG Nationals, we've had a designated Newbie Wrangler that arranges a meeting for the new guys, try's to get them introduced, arranges some rides, etc.
Haven't found the perfect solution yet, but working on it.

At the upcoming SC Rally's; there is a arranged Camp/Fire Pit at night (where most of the group sets around and visits). BBQ pits, (just bring some meat and throw it on the fire). Many late hours are spent lie swapping, picking on one another, telling stories, and abusing Rev. (You'll meet Rev at Wildflower if you come. (Nice Guy, but don't tell him I said that).

Also; Regular gatherings take place in the parking lot, tinkering with someone's bike that has had a problem, (Usually Rev's)  or just looking and talking.

NOTE: The Wildflower Event is my Wife's Favorite because of the Motel we are at and the friendships she has formed.
(In other words; If you come to Wildflower, "bring your wife")!!  HINT/HINT!!!

For the New Guy; what we've learned though is the best way for him to feel included is "be outgoing himself, and join in".
That is meant totally as a positive statement.
If the New Guy sees a group talking, getting ready to ride, etc,,, introduce himself and join in... he'll fit right in!

Ride safe, Ted

I noticed that Fred did make one mention of Louisiana.  I am in Baton Rouge and there are some very interesting roads to ride, but you need to be selective because pavement quality is not always the best.  Other than me, how many members are in Louisiana?  I was not able to get that information from our COG web site.

I am retired and have time, so maybe I should be the one to plan a short easy ride for a weekend this fall or for Louisiana even winter is doable.

I need to get used to riding the C10 bike so making a few trips to check things out might not be too bad.

Rebel Longhorn, if you want to lead a ride in Lousiana,,, "do it"!
We've been wanting someone to do a ride out that way....

Not sure I can get there to ride with you, but I'll help you if I can.

Ride safe, Ted

We do not have very many members in Louisiana.  Brian Depew is the SC AAD for LA and he does posts some day rides, but because of his work it make it difficult for him to schedule one with a lot of advance notice. 

We could always use some help in Louisiana, and would look forward for a multi day event being held there.  I also would like to see a multi day event in Oklahoma.

So if you are interested in hosting an event, just let me or one of AADs know and we will be happy to assist.

Fred is Boss, but I'll add.
If your not ready for arranging a weekend event, and want to do a 1 day gathering,,, that would be great too!

Ride safe, Ted

I sent an e-mail to Brian so we will try to work together since i have some time on my hands to put something together on a regular basis in Louisiana.  There are lots of motorcycles in Louisiana all going somewhere fun.

We do need a ride in the southern Arkansas/Oklahoma/Louisiana area. A meeting gathering location around the southern Arkansas/Louisiana border would be nice. Then say a ride up through Hot Springs on Hwy 7. Then above there almost any road is good there. Then loop around into eastern Oklahoma and back to the house. Any thoughts about that idea?

Just got off the phone with Queen Wilhelmina Lodge in Mena Ark and they said that the lodge should be open by July. So I need to come up with a date for a fall ride if possible. Still wanting to do a two dayer if possible. If anyone has any input or ideas let me know.

I am brand new to the Concours world and would love to meet up and ride with like minded folks.  I would love to see a fall ride wherever it maybe held, as I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but can get just about anywhere in the South Central area within a days ride.  The only thing I cannot do is camp out and sleep on the ground.  I have extremely bad back problems, so I have to sleep in a bed every night.  Other than that I am up for anything just about.  I am also willing to help with anything to put this ride one.

Hello Glen. Welcome to the group..

Help me wind Jim up and we'll arrange something in the fall.
Arkansas sounds good to me Jim.

Yoo hoo,,, Jim, are you there????    ;)

If not Jim,,, anyone else have a ride in mind???

Ride safe, Ted

Glenn, WELCOME TO THE GROUP! :welcome:

I am in DFW as well so we can get together one of these days.

There's an AR ride in July and the details are here in the URL below:

https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=215897&mo=7&tDate={d%20%272015-07-08%27}

There's also a scheduled Ride in Russellville in this thread:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,57115.0.html

This is in October but another ride sooner would be fine with me.

Closer to DFW would be Mena and the Talimena/Mt Magazine area and Jim had discussed doing something in that area.

I have stayed at the Sun Country Inn in Mena and it is a decent place.

http://www.suncountryinn.com/

Craig

I called Queen Wilhelmena (the lodge, not the actual Queen), was told that construction is finished but the lodge won't be open to the public until July 1

connie_rider said:
Hello Glen. Welcome to the group..

Help me wind Jim up and we'll arrange something in the fall.
Arkansas sounds good to me Jim.

Yoo hoo,,, Jim, are you there????    ;)

If not Jim,,, anyone else have a ride in mind???

Ride safe, Ted

Yes I'm here. Ok I will look at the calendar and see what I can come up with.