• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

320 MM rotors for 17" wheels

airmonger

After installing 2Fast's brake upgrade on my previous C10, the one thing I missed about my new to me 06, were the AWESOME brakes. I can't say enough about Brian's efforts to provide modern brakes for the mid evil, I mean pre 93 bikes. With that in mind, I set out to recapture the feel of the old set up. I secured a set of Racer Boy Chinese ZZR1200 rotors and two different sets of calipers.  First pic is the rotors installed along with the six piston calipers that I really wanted to install. Way too much juggling and the caliper would have to be positioned lower than need be. I settled on the four pot Tokico. Since I already know how well they work I was not really disappointed, I simply liked the visual appeal of the six pots. The second pick is the four pots mounted to the hand fabricated bracket. A simple block of 3/8 flat bar shaped to position the calipers where they need to be. Because of the diameter of the rotors I could not use the SV Racing mounts. No big deal as these are pretty easy to fab using a piece of scrap plastic for a template. These are the pads that came with the calipers and appear to be OEM. They were in excellent shape and I did not . I have a pair of Caltric sintered pads ordered but these are doing a stand up job for now. I installed a set of braided lines at the same time and am very pleased with the end result. The weather was beautiful on Saturday and I was able to get in a good ride although I stayed within the confines of Corpus Christi to take advantage of the stop and go situation to help with run in. Happy, happy, happy.

Attachments

• 17 inch brake upgrade number 1.jpg
    17 inch brake upgrade number 1.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 17 inch brake upgrade 2.jpg
    17 inch brake upgrade 2.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 238
No Ted.  The ZZR bolt number and pattern are different.  I think they'll fit many of the ZX wheels though.  I've been running stock ZZR1200 rotors for about 7 years on my ZX14 forks/ZZR1200 front wheel combo.  They do give you more whoa than you can effectively use.  I can lock the wheel at any speed.  :-[

But the best part is one finger braking too.

Rev Ryder said:
No Ted.  The ZZR bolt number and pattern are different. 

Actually, the ZZR1200 rotors will bolt right on the stock late model C10 wheel.  Airmonger is using the 17" conversion wheel that has the same bolt pattern as the late model C10, which is a 5 bolt pattern.  The ZZR rotors are the same as the ZX7, ZX9 and ZX11 rotors that are used for the 320 mm rotor upgrade.

Looks great Airmonger  :great:

BTW, I think you're better off with the 4 pots over the 6 pots.  The Tokicos you have actually have slightly more total piston area than the 6 pots, and the 6 pots are known to have more issues with uneven pad wear than the 4 pots.  Some of the ZRX owners switch out their OEM 6 pots in favor of Tokico 4 pots.

Air Monger, looking at your photo it appears that you installed your brake brackets inboard of the Fork and Caliper Tabs.
I like your install, as it gives the wheel a cleaner appearance than installing Outboard Brackets.
Well done!!!!!

But I have a question.
I measured the 4 pot calipers pretty carefully and I think (to center the calipers on the rotor) you need the calipers to be .030" closer to the Rotors than a flat bracket allows.
Can you look at yours and see if the calipers are centered on your hub?
(Look for the seam line on the calipers to find center)...
Thanks in advance.

NOTE: since your using a 17" wheel, your (Rotor location)  may not be the same as a (STOCK) 18" wheel.

Ride safe, Ted

.030" probably won't make a big diference as the opposing pistons will locate at the rotor (wherever it is).

I asked because I was checking the Dimensions I used when I machined mine.
(Since I machined the surface, it was no big deal to cut off that .030" and center it exactly).
Was hoping I didn't goof....

Ride safe, Ted

Any one know if there's a list of bikes with 320mm rotors that will bolt on to 94 - 06 connie rims?

I've got a 17" ZR7 front wheel I'll be installing some time this spring and am now thinking of up-grading to 320mm front rotors.

Thanks Gary, Air Monger.
  (AM,, I'll gage mine and see if I goofed).
I'm trying to work out dimensions so that I can have 10 sets of the Brackets machined for others.
(Need dimensions to be exact before I spend the $$).

See if I have this right??

Will bolt on the 1994-2006 C10 front wheel and can be adapted to forks.

4 Piston Tokico Calipers;
Kawasaki:
  ZX-7            91-95      x4 - 10 mm bolts
  ZX-9            94-97      x4 - 10 mm bolts
  ZX-11          93-01      x4 - 10 mm bolts
  ZZR-1200    02-05        x2 - 8 mm & x2 - 10 mm bolts
Suzuki:
GSXR 600      00-04        x2 - 8 mm & x2 - 10 mm bolts
GSXR 750      00-04        x2 - 8 mm & x2 - 10 mm bolts

320 mm Rotors;
Kawasaki:
  ZX-7              91-03
  ZX-9              94-97
  ZX-11            93-01
  ZZR-1200      02-05
  Mean Streak  02-08

Suzuki:
  VZ1600 Marauder  ??

310 mm Rotors;
ZX 750 H1/H2 (ZX7) 89-90
ZX 9R (ZX 900 E1/E2) 00-01
ZR 1100 A1-A4 Zephyr 92-95
ZR 1100 B1 Zephyr 96
ZX 1100 C1-C4 (ZX11) Ninja 90-93
ZRX 1100/ 1200  any year

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Thanks Gary, Air Monger.
  (AM,, I'll gage mine and see if I goofed).
I'm trying to work out dimensions so that I can have 10 sets of the Brackets machined for others.
(Need dimensions to be exact before I spend the $$).

See if I have this right??

4 Piston Tokico Calipers;
  ZX-7    91-95
  ZX-9    94-97
  ZX-11  93-01
  Others? (ZZR-1100)?
(And some Suzuki's)?

320 Rotors;
  ZX-7              91-03
  ZX-9              94-97
  ZX-11            93-01
  ZZR-1200      02-05
  Mean Streak  02-08
(And some Suzuki's)?

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, the calipers on my list that you show will work, but they use larger mounting bolts, so there will be more clearance with the bolts that you are using on your brackets.  They use a 10 mm bolt vs. your 8 mm bolt.  The calipers you show in your pictures are a later design Tokicos that were used on the Kawasaki ZZR1200 and 2000 to 2004 Suzuki GSXR 600 and 750, among others.  Also, the only Suzuki that I know of that used the same 320 mm rotors was the VZ1600 Marauder, which was just a re-branded Mean Streak.

HTH,

Thanks Gary.    I corrected my list. (See if I got it right this time.)

Like many others, the endless combinations confuse me.
Some have asked, so I was trying to get a complete list.
I'll add to it if anyone else knows of others?

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, will your brackets accept 10 mm bolts for the caliper?  If I remember correctly, your brackets have the caliper bolts going through the caliper into threaded holes in the rear bracket.  If that's true, it seems like any  of the calipers would require 2 8 mm bolst and 2 10 mm bolts.  Am I correct?

Ted, will your brackets accept 10 mm bolts for the caliper?
No,,,, hole thru the Caliper and brackets would have to be 2 mm (.08") larger.

If I remember correctly, your brackets have the caliper bolts going through the caliper into threaded holes in the rear bracket.
8 MM Threaded holes in the Caliper were drilled out to 8 mm (.316") as I had to rotate the bole because the Inboard Bracket is threaded..

If that's true, it seems like any  of the calipers would require 2 - 8 mm bolts and 2 - 10 mm bolts.  Am I correct?
That is what I had assumed prior to your note earlier.
I'd like to see a caliper with 10 mm bolts as I assume they have larger tabs to accept the 10 mm bolts. I don't think the brackets I built would work with 10 mm bolts as there is not sufficient material for the larger hole.

AirMonger, on your set-up do you use 4 - 10 mm bolts on each caliper?
Mine has 2 - 8 mm bolts and 2 - 10 mm bolts.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, I used the stock 10MM bolts on the lowers to bracket and drilled the calipers to accept the 8MM bolts. I used a piece of 3/8 flat stock for the bracket, counting on using hardened 8MM cap bolts. I am very confident in the strength of the set up. Short of doing a stoppie, I am impressed with the increased brake performance. It stops harder than I recall the 18" 2Fast set up, simply because of the increased contact patch, and the 18 stopped plenty hard.  I have double checked the hardware after practically every ride and nothing is amiss. I ordered my Race Tech emulators yesterday, so the quest goes on.........

Thanks AirMonger.
Your set up definitely looks good.
I forgot to ask, what did your Calipers originally come off of?
Mine came of of a ZZR-1200.

Gary thinks some of the Tokico Calipers used 10 mm bolts instead of the 8 mm bolts (that your and mine have)..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Will I see you at Big Bend or Wildflower?

connie_rider said:
Ted, will your brackets accept 10 mm bolts for the caliper?
No,,,, hole thru the Caliper and brackets would have to be 2 mm (.08") larger.

If I remember correctly, your brackets have the caliper bolts going through the caliper into threaded holes in the rear bracket.
8 MM Threaded holes in the Caliper were drilled out to 8 mm (.316") as I had to rotate the bole because the Inboard Bracket is threaded..

If that's true, it seems like any  of the calipers would require 2 - 8 mm bolts and 2 - 10 mm bolts.  Am I correct?
That is what I had assumed prior to your note earlier.
I'd like to see a caliper with 10 mm bolts as I assume they have larger tabs to accept the 10 mm bolts. I don't think the brackets I built would work with 10 mm bolts as there is not sufficient material for the larger hole.

AirMonger, on your set-up do you use 4 - 10 mm bolts on each caliper?
Mine has 2 - 8 mm bolts and 2 - 10 mm bolts.

Ride safe, Ted

OK, that's what I thought.  My point was that I think you want to stick with recommending the GSXR and ZZR calipers for your setup, since that is what you used and the others on the list would not fit as well because of the larger holes.  Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Thanks Gary. I thought you were unsure about the older models having 8 or 10 mm bolts.
When/if I get some built to sell to others, I will make that suggestion.
I assume that my brackets would fit onto a Caliper that uses 10 mm bolts.
(I could easily build bushings to put in the 10 mm holes). I'm just not absolutely sure the hole locations would be the same.

AirMonger I sent you a PM.
I looked at Ebay yesterday. Your bike is making me start considering 17" wheel and 320 rotors.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, the hole locations are the same.  I am using the same calipers as you on my ZX9 forks, which were originally designed for the earlier Tokicos that use 10 mm bolts.  I have bushings in the holes to eliminate the extra clearance and they fit perfectly relative to the diameter of the rotor.  I did have to space them inboard slightly, so I think the earlier models have a slightly different offset, but the hole locations are the same.

HTH,

Good Afternoon All:

I hope this message finds you well...I'm looking to pictures the the 4 pot brake being milled to accept the bracket that will upgrade the front brakes...I'm doing this to an 85 ZL 900....I have one pic, but was wondering if anyone could dig up all the pictures that used to be here....At least point me in the right direction...Thank you in advance and have a great day....

I don't think that the old pictures on the Forum, are accessible anymore. You might be able to access them on the ZGGTR Forum.
As we progressed thru the various brake caliper improvements, Jim Snyder discovered that you could buy and install Radial style Caliper's (bolts installed from the top} easier than the side bolted calipers. The reason was that you could use whatever rotor diameter you wanted by just adding spacers. On the side bolted brackets, you must have the correct bracket for the correct rotor diameter.

NOTE: If you go to the 17" wheel, it will be difficult to put air in the tire, and difficult to install the caliper with the 320 mm rotor.
I suggest you go to the radial style caliper and the OEM rotor for now. The improvement will be obvious, over stock. By using the radial style mount, you could try a 320 mm rotor too.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Just noticed that your doing an 85 ZL-900. I'm not familiar with it, but you need to determine if the forks you have; are like an early style Connie or the later model. The reason for this is; bolt hole locations on the fork and rotor mounting offset are different..

Last edited: