• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

3rd Annual Sport-touring school at Jennings GP

I just want to say thank you to Doug Re for making Jennings possible.  The last two years I was not able to participate because of health reasons, but I was bound and determined to make it this year.  I am ever so glad I got to be there.  First, it's always wonderful being around family.  Even though we don't get to see each other as often as we would like, maybe that is a good thing!  We can pick right back up like as if no time has passed.  I learned so much at Jennings as to how to be a better rider.  My fear of curves has reduced itself even more.  The encouragement that I got from the COG members that were there was very helpful.  The more I rode the track, the more confident I got.  I'll be practicing some more of the trailblazing.  Thanks again Doug for doing this.

Irene

Thanks to everyone who came out to this event. I hope all of you who participated were able to gain some skills and take what Doug and the folks at Jennings were able to teach you. It was great to see everyone be able to apply the tools you were given in the classroom and string them together throughout the day while you gained confidence and became smoother and more consistent around the track. It was also great to share meals and the traditional quality S.E. region COG fireside theatrics. Love all of you guys and ladies, Until next time :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I just want to thank Douglas & Wendy, and anyone else responsible, for sacrificing their time and energy to make this happen. It was my first COG event and everyone I met was great people. I felt right at home. We learned a lot and my son is already looking forward to more riding time with our new COG family.

As for the class itself, we were blown away. We learned so much, and it gave us a lot to practice. Jennings is a great facility and Douglas is a great instructor - and a great guy. If you're on the fence about doing this, you won't regret it.

Swampcat said:
Photos!

As of posting time, these are still uploading and should be done by about 9 p.m. Eastern time. These have had nothing more than a basic treatment and some need to be cropped. I thought it best to get them up as soon as possible since the latest Concourier is also in the works and I need to get back to working on that.

It was a great day and it appears that everyone developed new skills — photographer included! Enjoy!

https://gallery.edpalmer.me/COG/Sport-Touring-School-2019/

Those are great pictures!

Irene

Home again; safe and also sound!
Want to thank Doug and Wendy for putting on another good GREAT event..
Had a blast. Learned a lot.

To Ed and Jorge; Great photo's. {particularly the ones of "ME"}..  :85:

To the ones that thought about going but didn't.. ya shoulda been there!

Ride safe, Ted

Had a blast attending my first ever track day.  Was definitely worth traveling 1000 miles from San Antonio to attend.  Thanks to Doug for hosting the event and serving as our instructor.  I now have a lot more appreciation for Moto GP riders.

And please, no one should listen to Ted's claim that I ran him off the track.  :motonoises: :motonoises:  He should have known better than to try and pass me.

Steve

Doug and Wendy - thanks for putting on another great track weekend, I was able to build upon last year's instruction, but still slow as chit. :rotflmao:  That was a messy ride down the FL TP, got real wet.

Chris M - thanks for being Doug's right-hand man again in the classroom.

Ed and Jorge - thanks for all the great pics, since you guys took the time, I took the time to look at all of them. :great:

Irene - glad you (finally) made your first track day.

Chris and son - glad you guys got to your first COG event, it truly is a family that you guys seemed to fit right in with.

Steve - nice meeting you and thanks for coming all the way from San Antone...even though you had to ride with Ted. :nananana:  Speaking of getting run off the track...Ted almost ran me off the track and claimed it was something about a blown tire, but now it all makes sense...he must have thought I was you. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ted - thanks for almost running me off the track. :pokestick:

Matt and son - it was good to see ya Matt.  I hope your son isn't too sore a couple days later.  If he's still bummed, tell him to check out the pics...he looked like he knew what he was doing for his first track day.

Everyone else - it always great to hang out with COGgers, everyone has something to contribute, it was great to see you all! :beerchug:

PS - TED could run circles around me all day long, so I trust something didn't feel right at all with the bike while we were a little bunched up there.  Love ya Ted.

SATXRIDER said:
Had a blast attending my first ever track day.  Was definitely worth traveling 1000 miles from San Antonio to attend.  Thanks to Doug for hosting the event and serving as our instructor.  I now have a lot more appreciation for Moto GP riders.

And please, no one should listen to Ted's claim that I ran him off the track.  :motonoises: :motonoises:  He should have known better than to try and pass me.

Steve

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  :-X

SATXRIDER said:

Steve

We know all about Ted's antics but we still love him.  ;)

Irene

This clarification is sent in fun as I had a GREAT time!
But, I guess I need to clarify some things as "some" seem to be trying to be-smirch my (almost) perfect image...
  ;)

1} Shawn; I didn't almost run you off the track. {I just passed you "very" closely as I was exiting the track to check my tire}.
                    {If I thought you were Steve, I would have run you off the track}. :rotflmao:

2} Steve;  You did run me off the track. {I have a witness}  :nananana:
                I didn't "try" to pass you. "I did pass you". {In the dirt}
                I agree; we were doing a carefully planned maneuver (as Doug had trained us) and moving over to "near" the white line.
                    {I just didn't know your interpretation was; it was ok for you to be on the track side and me on the dirt side of that white line}.  ::)

3} All;        At the time of this carefully planned maneuver, we were being timed.
                  I fully admit Steve beat me by 2 seconds.
                    {Even though I was in the dirt and had to "unpucker" myself from the bike's seat before continuing}  :( 

4} Bruce:  While riding a C-10 behind us, you watched/laughed at our carefully planned maneuver and attempted to pass us as we (err) adjusted our line.
                I was amazed by your riding skills, and impressed with the patience you demonstrated when Steve got in your way.  :great:
                  {I want to thank you for being my witness}. {refer to line 2}

6} Doug;    Thank you! I learned a lot!!
                  Your excellent training allowed me to survive our carefully planned maneuver,
                                            {and pass Steve several other times during the day}.  :great:
                  If you teach us to pass in the turns next year it will be an even better learning experience.
                                            "and" {I'll pass Steve many times instead of just several}...  :motonoises:

7} Funsize;  Those were learning experiences/carefully planned maneuvers, not "antics"..
                  You did good!!  :allhail:
                      Please help me be-smirch Steve's image whenever possible. ( I have $$)   :dance:

8} Ed/Jorge; Thank you for all the great photo's!  :great: :great: :great:
                      {a) How much did Steve pay you to remove the photo of him running me off the track?
                      {b) Why didn't you get a photo of Shawn getting in my way when I exited the track to check my tire?
                      {c) Why were there more photo's of Funsize than me?   :-[
                      {d) I'll get you the $$ I promised to remove the photo's of Bruce showing us all up.

Ride safe, Ted {Clarification complete}   :))

I want to add my voice to those thanking Douglas and all who had any involvement in putting this event on. I'm still grinning from ear to ear and telling people I had a blast just doesn't seem to do the weekend justice! I was able to come away a more confident rider and got everything I had hoped for from the weekend and then some. Thanks to those who took pictures, I am in plenty of them and appreciate your sharing them freely. One of my favorites is one I took myself, and something I thought I would never see on a bike that I was the owner/operator of...

Attachments

• Blistered tire.jpg
    Blistered tire.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 139
connie_rider said:
I guess I need to clarify some things as "some" seem to be trying to be-smirch my perfect image...  ;)

1} Shawn; I didn't almost run you off the track. {I just passed you "very" closely as I was exiting the track to check my tire}.
                    {If I thought you were Steve, I would have run you off the track}. :rotflmao:

2} Steve;  You did run me off the track. {I have a witness}  :nananana:
                I didn't "try" to pass you. "I did pass you". {In the dirt}
                I agree; we were doing a carefully planned maneuver (as Doug had trained us) and moving over to "near" the white line.
                    {I just didn't know your interpretation was; it was ok for you to be on the track side and me on the dirt side of that white line}.  ::)

3} All;        At the time of this carefully planned maneuver, we were being timed.
                  I fully admit Steve beat me by 2 seconds.
                    {Even though I was in the dirt and had to "unpucker" myself from the bike's seat before continuing}  :( 

4} Bruce:  While riding a C-10 behind us, you watched/laughed at our carefully planned maneuver and attempted to pass us as we (err) adjusted our line.
                I was amazed by your riding skills, and impressed with the patience you demonstrated when Steve got in your way.  :great:
                  {I want to thank you for being my witness}. {refer to line 2}

6} Doug;    Thank you! I learned a lot!!
                  Your excellent training allowed me to survive our carefully planned maneuver,
                                            {and pass Steve several other times during the day}.  :great:
                  If you teach us to pass in the turns next year it will be an even better learning experience.
                                            "and" {I'll pass Steve many times instead of just several}...  :motonoises:

7} Funsize;  Those were learning experiences/carefully planned maneuvers, not "antics"..
                  You did good!!  :allhail:
                      Please help me be-smirch Steve's image whenever possible. ( I have $$)   :dance:

8} Ed/Jorge; Thank you for all the great photo's!  :great: :great: :great:
                      {a) How much did Steve pay you to remove the photo of him running me off the track?
                      {b) Why didn't you get a photo of Shawn getting in my way when I exited the track to check my tire?
                      {c) Why were there more photo's of Funsize than me?   :-[
                      {d) I'll get you the $$ I promised to remove the photo's of Bruce showing us all up.

Ride safe, Ted {Clarification complete}   :))

Totally messin with ya Ted!

That's ok. I deserve it for the close pass across your front fender.
    I think I missed you by just a few feet.. OOps.  :sorry:

By the way. It turned out that it wasn't my tire.
    I leaned too far and the left foot perch (of my center stand) hit the rumble strips and it turned me across the track.
              Scared the heck out of both of us.....

{err} I mean; I was doing a carefully planned maneuver to see if I could drag the left foot perch {of my Center stand} on the rumble strips of turn #12.

By the way, the test was a total success..
    I "could" lean that far,,
        It did drag,,,
            "and" the contact with the rubble strip pushed me into a right angle across the track..
              "Suddenly"!!
                    {ie; EXIT; Stage right. "Yeeehaaaaa"} 
                                        :41:

PS: Please help me pick on be-smirch Steve {or Irene}...
            They deserve it as they suggested the carefully planned maneuver ... 
                  I never seldom lie... <evil grin>
                            O:)

Ride safe, Ted

A big thanks to Doug, Wendy & everyone else that had a hand in this event. Good times for sure & even met some new people this time.

I just returned home last night after a 810 mile ride yesterday, half in the rain with less than ideal temps.  :motonoises: It was worth it!

Just Cliff said:
A big thanks to Doug, Wendy & everyone else that had a hand in this event. Good times for sure & even met some new people this time.

I just returned home last night after a 810 mile ride yesterday, half in the rain with less than ideal temps.  :motonoises: It was worth it!

Glad to hear you made it home safe.  My ride (although considerably shorter and not nearly as cold) was messy too .  I admire all you guys that ride/trailer more than 500 mi for Jennings, don't think i'd do it.

I had a great weekend, wished I could have been out there in front of all the carnage  :rotflmao:

Great pictures Ed/Jorge thanks for posting those.

It was great to see Al Norcross again.

The fire was interesting for sure.

Doug , thanks for doing this once again. 

Great partying with you guys and met a first time cog event participant with his son. If I had a memory I would remember their names.  Thanks for the extra firewood and getting the fire flaming on Saturday until Doug came along  :D

See y'all down the road.  :great:

COGnosticator said:
Great partying with you guys and met a first time cog event participant with his son. If I had a memory I would remember their names.  Thanks for the extra firewood and getting the fire flaming on Saturday until Doug came along  :D

That was Chris (Cape Fear) from a small town in NC, and I regret that my memory fails me on his son's name.

Swampcat said:
COGnosticator said:

That was Chris (Cape Fear) from a small town in NC, and I regret that my memory fails me on his son's name.

Thanks Ed

Just Cliff said:

I'm glad you made it home safe and sound.  Riding in the rain is no fun and with less ideal temps makes it not good.  It was good seeing you again.

Irene

A belated thank you to Doug for putting this on again.
It was my second track day, and tried to concentrate more on hanging off.  Felt like I was getting better, but the pictures prove that the stiff old muscles only go so far. Felt like I was much smoother through 4/5/6.
And thank you Ted for pretending that you were at max speed while I chased you during the last session.  :nananana:That was a lot of fun. When I saw that you lived in a gold plated tent, I new that you were the COG hired gun. :)
Glad that the weather was cool for the track day, but rain was everywhere for the Sunday after.
Till next time.
Bruce
COG 2045

Late to this party, but wanting to say how great it was to see everyone. The nights around a fire with the COG family are always so special. The track environment is very familiar to me, but this place had a cosy relaxed feeling. Special shout out to good buddies Cliff and Jerry, a couple of stand up guys that I've known for a long time, and to Ted and Jim who put so much effort into the OTP program that makes COG a special club. Doug and I go way back, and he leaves his stamp on these well run events every time. Being on Cape Cod for six months a year has me doing less with COG, but I'll try to make this again next year.