• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

4th Annual 2020 COG Sport-touring School

Douglasjre

4th Annual Concours Owners Group Sport-touring School:

When:
JenningsGP, Jennings, FL, February 7-9, 2020. This annual event is designed to be educational and fun. The training is individual enough that newer riders can learn new skills, while seasoned riders capitalize upon their existing skill-sets. Must be 12 y/o to enroll in this event. You will find that true to rumor young people do learn faster than us older guys. No Motorcycle Endorsement needed to enroll, participate, attend. This is not a public roadway. This is a school. Racing will not take place at any time during this event.

Theory:
JenningsGP is a training facility that was designed with large safe runoffs, void of cars, intersections, trees and guardrails. You will be able to implement new concepts from the classroom with the safety of a purpose built beginners track. On track you will practice the theories taught in the classroom. This format enables practicing new concepts like trail braking, late apex cornering, and hanging off. These are the theories books are written about. And these are things you should have a safe environment to attempt for the first time. Jennings affords this.

What this is:
An advanced rider training course for those looking to learn more than public roadways can safely permit.

What this is not:
Track/Racing School. While this does take place at a racetrack, this is not race school and racing will not take place at this event.  :truce:

Purpose:
Ever notice how effortlessly a motoGP rider seems to carve around a course? Not struggling with the bike, no sudden jerky movements? All seems calm as they turn the fast laps. Take Home Point: You have to slow down if you want to be fast. You can't learn new skills at full speed. Slow down. Going fast only reverts you back to your usual bad habits. Skill comes first, speed comes later. Hence, you have to slow down if you want to be fast.

Who should attend:
If you have more fun in the turns than you do on the straights….If you get a thrill out of precisely carving the corners….If you get that Zen feeling when you’ve mastered your favorite road…or if you have ever scared yourself... Then this event is for you. Also, this is a great opportunity for parents to break bad behaviors in their sons/daughters. Sometimes teens want to hear it from someone other than Dad. This course is not a lecture. It is a comprehensive change of mindset. We discuss the fundamentals of WHY we will change what we are doing. Then, after everyone agrees, we practice changing our habits on the track, where there are large runoff areas so errors are forgiven. No cliffs, trees, guardrails. And as we know it is much easier to make a good habit than it is to break a bad one. So yes, this is very appropriate for new riders. But I assure you, this is not a Basic Rider Course. This course teaches higher level skills that even our seasoned riders have probably only heard of but never practiced.

Organization:
There will be three designated groups. Novice is for those who have never been to a track (probably everyone in our group) or have attended my school once in the past. Intermediate is for seasoned track guys, and there is an Expert group. These are the racers looking to have a fun day at the track without racing. You will have a former CCS/WERA licensed racer teaching in the classroom, and there will rider coaches in Novice and Intermediate. They are there to help you. The riders who learn the most stay close to the instructors and ask lots of questions. They have mastered the concepts you will be learning in this controlled and welcoming environment.

Last year:
We had 27 COGgers, a few BMW members, a few COG friends, and a half dozen spectators/family. This event will fill up fast and latecomers will be dismayed to find this event fills up just after the holidays. You are welcome to come and observe without the school/track time and pay only for entry to the track compound. The $10 entry price includes camping, payable at the gate.

Price:
Jennings approved us for a discounted rate of $140 per person. Did I mention I'm making no money doing this? Early signups are recommended since we will fill this event in January. (I do not have the authority to issue refunds.)

"But I don't need to learn more. I'm already faster than anyone I know:"
Despite how fast you are compared to your friends, trust me, you're novice for this course. You will get the most help here and no questions are considered stupid. This is where we all start. Having a few track days under your belt still makes you novice I assure you. Being the fastest guy you've ever ridden with still makes you novice I assure you. Ask anyone from prior years...

THESE RULES ARE STRICT:
(Please do not contact me requesting exceptions as it will not help) Full-face helmets are mandatory. Modular are not permitted, ever. Do not badger me as it won't help. You WILL remove all saddle bags, CB cords, tank bags and loose accessories. Leather suits/gloves/boots are mandatory and available the day-of at the Track Shop for a discounted rate of $50/$10/$20. In the past we did have an incident where so many of our members wore the same size. For this reason I ask that you send me your chest size to reserve a reserve a suit. PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA ANY MEANS YOU WISH TO RESERVE A SUIT IN YOUR SIZE.Your suit size is your chest size. Have a helper wrap a paper tape measure around your chest at the nipple line, then again at the stomach. YOU SHOULD GIVE ME BOTH MEASUREMENTS TO ASSURE I GET YOUR SIZE. Length is not considered as boots cover the gap at the bottom. Measure in inches. Both of my suits are spoken for.

Bike:
Your tires should be 75% new and less than 4 years old. All glass and lights must be covered with blue painters tape by you(available at Home Depot/Lowes/Amazon/Ebay/WalMart) and there must be no leaks. You can bring whatever bike you want. A C14 or a C10 makes the best trainer if that’s your usual ride. Something with poor ground clearance and floorboards however does not. Please choose to bring a bike you regularly ride. It would be a travesty if you borrowed a track bike, only to leave the event thinking that the new skills you learned is possible only on a special bike. That said, you may fly in and rent a track bike, but I don't encourage locals to drive in and rent one thinking they're getting the ultimate experience. Doing this will result in you reverting back to your old bad habits when you get back on your bike. Consider the rental bike the last resort, like if you must fly in for this.

Camping/Lodging:
Camping for the weekend is included with your gate price of only $10 payable when you get there. Not breaking the bank here…. Keep in mind that if the track raises their prices $0.01 I apologize, but they make the rules. We plan to have a modest fire  :campfire: in the evenings. What better than camping with a fire with your bike and friends at the track you’re riding on?  :beerchug: The track gates lock each night at 9:45pm sharp. If you get there at 9:46 you will be delighted by the Jennings discounted rate at Days Inn, Lake Park, GA. RV’ers will have hookups and there are indoor bathrooms/showers for everybody that are open 24 hrs. Call the track directly for RV spot reservations.

Photos:
There will be a professional photographer at the track who will have track photos of you available for your purchase at the end of the day. We also have food concessions for breakfast and lunch available and Dennis makes a great burger.  :103: His prices are reasonable and his american fare is excellent. You may also bring your own snacks/meals/BBQ/coffee/portable kitchen (Roman). 1 gallon of drinking water/rider/day is recommended. Don't forget adult beverages for the evenings. Would we forget that  :-[

Arrival:
You need to get to the track Friday evening, Feb 7th, 2020 early enough to set up your bike/pit/camping area. We will then do the well know "track walk" 45min before sunset (time determined by Google). Riders meeting is Saturday morning at 8:30am. First group will be in class at 9am, followed by track time. Each hour will consist of a 20 minute debriefings in pit row, followed by 20 minutes in class, then 20 minutes on track. You will have 7 debriefings, 7 class sessions, and 7 track sessions. There are 7 new concepts you will practice. The last session is where you combine all 7 new skills into one smooth operation. Trust me, you will get a workout mentally and physically. Come with no ego and be prepared to be enlightened, and work hard. Also, do not ask your buddies questions. Ask me. Likewise, do not let them profess their knowledge to you. They are students as well. Again, come to me. Don't walk, run. This is not a spectator type thing. You will practice each concept taught in class at designated areas on track. Likewise, don't think you can come attend class without signing up, get the knowledge for fee, then go practice it on a public road. That's just dangerous. Guardrails and trees are not forgiving to mistakes. If you come just to hang out in class, keep in mind what you see there is not to be practiced on public roads for the first time. Tat said, the skills you learn here as a student, will change how you ride on the road. So yes, you will then later do these things on a public road, just not for the first time.

More Food:
Saturday night dinner: At these low prices please understand that COG won't buy you dinner. However, many of us really enjoy going to dinner together at Exit 5 Lake Park, GA Saturday evening. We will choose a new restaurant this year that can accommodate our whole group easier than last year. Our gathering has grown  :)

Nightlife:
Plan on camping trackside Friday and Saturday evening. After all, a campfire and adult beverages taste better at the track you were on!

Extra track time:
Some enthusiastic COGgers enjoy signing up for Sunday as well. Heck, I've even seen some COGgers stay into Monday, however, the COG event officially starts Friday at sunset, and ends Sunday at whatever time you desire.

Homework:
Everybody attending should memorize the track map prior to arrival. Doing so enables you to learn the skills rather than waste time learning the track. Bring your track map and pens to the track walk AND the classroom. You will be adding to it as you learn. I still have my track map for every track I've ever been on.

Spectators/Family:
As always, you are welcome to attend this event even if you don't sign up for the school, but you will be a spectator and you can not change your mind the day-of. Spectators need only pay the gate fee $10 and feed themselves. Showers are still advised.  :rotflmao: If you wish to glean some knowledge by spectating you may, but keep in mind that attempting these things on a public roadway without coaching is like entering the ring w Mike Tyson after watching a televised boxing match. Don't try this on your own. Your results may vary. Always wear clean underwear...

Track location:
Location: Jennings GP 4960 NW Co Rd 152, Jennings, FL 32053 (Last exit in North FL )

Motto1:
If you ‘go where you look' and and ‘turning your head turns the bike,’ imagine what your shoulders and hips can do…  ;)

Motto2:
You have to slow down to go fast.

Motto3:
Wanna learn something? Find a smart person to argue with.

Video the of last years event:
https://youtu.be/BRBnXJdfDtc

In our usual fashion the comradery is as much the event as the event itself.

Doug; I'm interested in both the track day and 1 of your suits.
            ie; the same one I wore last year.

To ANYONE that has a chance to go to this. DO IT!!!

Ride safe, Ted

I attended/participated last year. I'm the guy on the Kawi-green Versys with the yellow ADV helmet. ;)  FWIW, I'd been riding for over 50 years, had 10 years of experience as a MSF RiderCoach, spent 4 years as the COG Safety Officer so I was not a "noob." 

Did I learn anything I didn't already know?  The short answer is, "No."  However ... .

Is it worth the time/money?  ABSOLUTELY!  I got to PRACTICE things I already had been exposed to and perfect skills that I knew how to do but, riding on the street tend not to do; trail braking, body shift, etc.

The great thing about how Doug runs this school is you get to go out and practice ONE skill for several laps over the same terrain. There's no traffic coming at you. There's no gravel in the corners.  There are no surprises in the roadway. This means you can put your full concentration on THAT ONE SKILL. Then you go to the next skill and the next until the last session where you put them all together.

If you want to raise your skill set. Here's a great opportunity PLUS you'll enjoy the company/camaraderie of hanging out with the group.

I have edited the original post to state: NOTIFY ME OF YOUR SUIT SIZE SO I CAN RESERVE YOUR SUIT FOR YOU

Doug, got your text yesterday morning. Looking forward to attending again this year and helping out wherever you need me. One of these days maybe they'll let me run my Spyder around the track and show you what it can do.  >:D  Always a great time attending even  if I can't do the track.  :mad:  For anyone one else out there, this is an opportunity that you don't want to miss out on. The smiles and confidence I've seen people come away with are awe inspiring. The camp fire at night is a hoot as well.  :beerchug:

I just got you guys a $10 discount off rental suits. They're now $50. I'm still negotiating a discounted rate for you all....

also: I picked up a load of firewood today but it's not split or seasoned. Can someone here help out with split cut seasoned firewood and an elevated fire ring?

One thing: The track asks that you zip tie your passenger footpegs in place. They've let us get away with not doing it but it is respectfully requested.

Douglas said:
One thing: The track asks that you zip tie your passenger footpegs in place. They've let us get away with not doing it but it is respectfully requested.

Good idea, I lost one off my Guzzi in 2017  :(

Douglas said:
I just got you guys a $10 discount off rental suits. They're now $50. I'm still negotiating a discounted rate for you all....

also: I picked up a load of firewood today but it's not split or seasoned. Can someone here help out with split cut seasoned firewood and an elevated fire ring?

Doug, I can bring some split wood and I have two fire rings that I can bring.

Doug,

If you will be at the Last Blast, I'll set aside some time for you to talk about the school. Thanks for doing this event.

Douglas said:
Both of my suits were spoken for in the first day  :-\

I don't need your suit.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Just bring an extra wood because  I will be camping for 10 bucks.  :campfire: :campfire: :campfire:

P.S. Don't forget to bring Wendy.    :06: :06: :06:

TicTac said:
Douglas said:

Just bring an extra wood because  I will be camping for 10 bucks.  :campfire: :campfire: :campfire:

Tic Tac ... who?? It’s been so long don’t remember who you are.

MotoCommuter said:
TicTac said:
Douglas said:

I am the one with the BRITISH accent.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao:

TicTac said:
MotoCommuter said:
TicTac said:
Douglas said:

I am the one with the BRITISH accent.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Who's that guy I hear with the funny voice?

MotoCommuter said:
Douglas said:
Kurt you rock man. BIG TIME  :beerchug:

Glad to help. If every could bring a few sticks of fire wood, it will add up quickly, just sayin.

I can stop at a convenience store & get 1 of those little bundles of wood to strap on top of my camping gear.  :)

I do plan to attend again, just don't know if I'll ride or not. Might be nice just to hang out & watch. Now if the weather will just be better for my ride down than in the past.  :motonoises:

For those that have never done it, it's worth doing doing.

connie_rider said:
Oh yeah, that note made me remember.  :-[
"Cliff's" the one with the funny accent.  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted
Yep. :great:
I've been to Arkansas too. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I plan on being there as a spectator/helper

With a new hip, new neck and now needing something done to my low back I take enough chances just riding on the street

See y'all in February  :great:

Signed up today...really looking forward to it.  I will be camping in the trailer.  This is my first time at the track so other than standard camping equipment, please share you knowledge of things us first timers need to bring.

As far as camping goes it's just like any other camping event. We'll have a bonfire. You should bring adult beverages for the evening and bring lunch items that you can make or you can buy food from Dennis. He has a food truck and makes top-notch American fare. Burgers and pulled pork and the like. I recommend a gallon of water for your school day Saturday. I'm serious about the gallon. You're going to be working hard. You'll even be sweating in the classroom because your brain will be working so hard lol

The first post for this thread has a whole lot of detail. You might want to read it a few times.

I'm sincere about doing the track map. You should have blank paper from your computer printer. Use a pencil or pen. Open up the map on your computer and try to draw it.then refrain from looking at the map and try and draw it from memory. Then draw it again and again and again. Then draw in features. Then watch YouTube videos of people on the track. The goal is to memorize the track. The more homework you do learning the map the more relaxed you'll be at the school. Anyone who doesn't learn the map will be wasting time at the school trying to learn the track.I hope that you'll be able to learn the lessons while there. Learning the track map makes things so much easier. we are also going to do a track walk Friday about 45 minutes before sunset. Sunset is determined by Google. The track walk really helps curb a lot of the nervousness you will probably have when going there.

If you are timid about asking questions on the forum shoot me a pm w your number

From the Jennings site; Designed by Ed Bargy, Jennings GP is the only “Motorcycle Only” Road Racing circuit in the United States. The course is two / "2" miles long and contains 14 turns. This track is about 40 miles north of Lake City, FL. The track can be run clockwise and counterclockwise. The “standard” configuration to run is counter clockwise.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
From the Jennings site; Designed by Ed Bargy, Jennings GP is the only “Motorcycle Only” Road Racing circuit in the United States. The course is two / "2" miles long and contains 14 turns. This track is about 40 miles north of Lake City, FL. The track can be run clockwise and counterclockwise. The “standard” configuration to run is counter clockwise.

Ride safe, Ted

Thx

I can't go this year. So I stole this from previous year.
Was made by Doug...

checklist:

helmet
suit
boots
gloves
blue tape
gas can
bike
canopy chairs
water
cooler
fan
hat
change of clothes
toiletries
sleeping gear
pillow
power cord
power strip
phone charger
food
cash for food at track/sat night dinner/$10 admission
tire gauge
earplugs
drawn track map
go-pro
dog/food/leash/bowls
glasses incase i lose a contact
flip flops
shoes
shorts for lunchtime so I can get out of suit
bungee cord as a belt for suit to lower half-down in paddock
tire warmers
track stands
toolbox
willingness to learn cause this is gonna rock!

Darn, going to miss this again, this year. We saving $s for an end-of-March CA coast trek (from San Francisco to San Diego). We'll trek from Seattle, WA to San Fran another year. Maybe next year on this "school." Have fun and be safe/careful.

RubberSideDown said:
one-piece Roadcrafter acceptable, or only true racing "leathers"?

-RubberSideDown

Trip: "Leather suits/gloves/boots are mandatory and available the day-of at the Track Shop for a discounted rate of $50/$10/$20" I got us a discount this year. I rented a suit the first time I did this. I started buying seats thereafter. I think a suit is a smart investment and there are some really good deals at cycle gear. Many of their suits have 5 or 10 year warranties. January is a great time to buy a suit. I use it on the street as well. It keeps me warm in the winter and it keeps me safe all the time. Leather suit is mandatory. it can be a two-piece that zips all the way around or it can be a one piece. You can also give me a call because I know sometimes text is not carrying as much value as a spoken conversation.

Ryan: I have a favorite end of the paddock that I really think is best for us. The end that is closest to the bleachers near turn one is my favorite for sure. It gives us more room for our group. When you get there you will notice that we back up on the lawn to the paddock. I'll try to get there before you. this is just the detail don't worry too much about it.

Hey you guys. THis is coming up soon and we have 2 slots still available. Sign up! Contact Doug for more info.

Ron

Hi ya folks,

I know this is late in the game, but due to life status changing events, I will not be able to attend this time.  :( :(
So my paid for spot is available to someone else?

That's not good. Maybe Doug's got a candidate. Good luck with your "stuff."  :(

Awesome weather report for our event is predicted: https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/6f139251d6acba114c0a0e0a5b39f117a83f568961af7a89d9a633428e357900

Track opens at 2pm Friday for us. Remember to stop at the gate booth when you get there.  :welcome:  Then go to the near end of the paddock where there are bleachers, by Turn 1.

How is your track map looking? Wanna post it up here? Remember to bring it with you. Also bring a pen for the track walk and class the next day.

The new building is now finished with classrooms  :)

I have a suggestion for those lucky folks that are attending the event.
Before you go, "take some time to learn the various flags that they use at the track".

Explanation;
Last year, we were flagged because of an incident on the track.
Apparently no one knew what the flag meant because everyone slowed, but {kinda} kept riding around the track.
                                    :stupid:
  {I think we were supposed to pull over or exit the track}.  :loco:

{Rightfully so} The guy in charge was upset and pulled us all off the track.
    Where he chewed us out pretty good, and almost threw us out for the day for being unsafe.  :angry: :angry: :angry:
      Luckily, he recognized our confusion "stupid looks" and allowed us to continue.  :c017:  :13: :dance:

Don't get in that position.
  Learn the flags and what your supposed to do if they flag you.
    Then (if you see a flag) don't follow the guy** in front of you.
          Do what your supposed to do!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: ** I was following Cliff and he thought we were supposed to keep riding...  ;)

Unfortunately it doesn't appear I'm gonna make down this year. I was really looking forward to just hanging out with friends & skipping the track this year.  :'( To make it even worse my departure temperature was going to be above freezing with no rain for the 1st time & Doug had to post that awesome weather report.

I'm kinda with Cliff. Our forecast in N.Ga is for Thursday monsoons, followed by clearing and rising temps from the 30's on Friday, then heading up to nice for the w/e. If I see I can make it the first 200 miles, I think I'll come down and camp. Waiting on the weather.

Good weather, great track, Ron's going, {Cliff isn't  :great:}, Victor's spot is open, and I can't go...  arghhhh!!!!!    :mad:

Ride safe, Ted

No problem Ted. Just a little "teasing" (and envy..). See you somewhere soon.
Ron

I'll be there with the camera and the big lens again. Won't be able to camp (back's bugging me) and I have to leave Saturday afternoon, but I want to hang out, watch the festivities, and enjoy seeing those who can make it while I can be there.

Ted, 8:30AM Saturday morning riders meeting teaches the flags.

Ed, You're awesome. your pictures are the best. The ones I really love the most are the ones of what's going on in pit row. I really like that picture of Randy Gardner doing a tire change after dark in the pits. Everyone was gathering around and helping. Good times  :)

Douglas said:
Ed, You're awesome. your pictures are the best. The ones I really love the most are the ones of what's going on in pit row. I really like that picture of Randy Gardner doing a tire change after dark in the pits. Everyone was gathering around and helping. Good times  :)

That pic was taken by Irene or Jorge. Pretty sure it was Irene, as she has the touch with capturing the moment and emotions. I'll try to fill in as best I can, but I seem to do better with the big glass capturing the track. I'm bringing a 200-500 zoom this year. It doesn't quite have the reach of the 150-600 I used last year, but is supposed to be faster focusing and sharper at the extreme end of the zoom.

Douglas said:
Ted, 8:30AM Saturday morning riders meeting teaches the flags.

I agree. Just offering a heads up.
I mention it only because we didn't do as were supposed to when the flags were shown.
Don't want this years class to make the same mistake.

NOTE: We all had attended the flag discussion and still didn't react correctly.

Ya'll have fun!!
Ride safe, Ted

Only about half the field reacted correctly to the RED flag. :-[  Unfortunately, EVERYONE got chewed out.

Great weekend at the 4th annual COG Sport Touring track day!! A huge thank you to Doug Re for taking the time to instruct us on riding techniques and having a safe venue to practice them. Doug, THANK YOU!! Apparently this years group was much better behaved as we did not get yelled at.
I learned many new riding techniques and feel that I have improved my riding skill. Looking forward to doing it again next year.

Thanks for everything Doug and Kurt...great event with lots of learning and as always, just great people.  Hope all made it back home safe.

My pics are coming soon. I took more photos Saturday than ever before. Last year the number was about 900 (and after editing I ended up with just under 500 between Jorge's, Irene's, and mine). This year I shot 2800, which I got down to 600 in the first cull (no bike in shot, half a bike, rider's head chopped, out of focus, "he's not in our group!???", etc.). I'll lightly edit the remaining ones and do a second pass to get out the ones that have other technical issues, then put them in my Smugmug folio and post the link. I'll try to get that done within the next day.

I had an awesome time, and even though I didn't ride this year I still learned some things just by hanging out. Doug, as always, you do a great job of breaking it all down for us, not to mention the hours or organization, phone calls, emails, and so forth that you put in getting this set up for us. Major kudos.  :beerchug: :beerchug:

The photos are up now. See https://gallery.edpalmer.me/COG/Sport-Touring-School-2020/. These are free for private use; use the download button that will appear in the lower right corner when you hover over the photo with a mouse. If shared, I would appreciate being given credit. Note that I do retain copyright on these and the others I have posted along the way.

I had a great time with everyone this weekend, and thanks for letting me stick a lens in your faces!

Thanks!!  I saw some of the pictures on FB.  Looks like a fantastic event, I will have to start planning for 2021!

Swampcat said:
The photos are up now. See https://gallery.edpalmer.me/COG/Sport-Touring-School-2020/. These are free for private use; use the download button that will appear in the lower right corner when you hover over the photo with a mouse. If shared, I would appreciate being given credit. Note that I do retain copyright on these and the others I have posted along the way.

I had a great time with everyone this weekend, and thanks for letting me stick a lens in your faces!

Thanks for pics. Hopefully I'll make it one of these years ... if they continue to be offered.

Wow... looks like another great event at Jennings!
Ed, great photos, as always.

Really missed being there.