• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

90 degree stems Why?

strum

I been seeing guys talk about putting in these things or adding extensions to the existing straight one. I just dont get it.
  Why is it so hard to put air in or check pressure ?  It just looks like a solution to a non problem. even still it looks like an added hazard to a non hazard. Just saying .
  Flame me  :D

I had them on my cruisers -- fat tires and brake rotors made it challenging to corkscrew my fat-fingers in there... not sure they did all that much, but that's what i told myself at the time -- aired up the C14 on Sunday just fine with straight stems, so maybe my fingers have gotten more slender (really ? not likely... :-[) 

I always wondered the same thing.  Never had an issue.  I have used the my knuckles as a lever against the rotor to apply more pressure if needed.  Just leaves a mark for a a few hours if you don't break the skin.  ::)

If you have the older style tpms (2008~ 2012) you can take the valve stem off and replace it with the Honda part #42755-MCA-R31.  Amazon has them for around $15 bucks each.

strum said:
  I been seeing guys talk about putting in these things or adding extensions to the existing straight one. I just dont get it.
  Why is it so hard to put air in or check pressure ?  It just looks like a solution to a non problem. even still it looks like an added hazard to a non hazard. Just saying .

Easy to say when you have a good floor/shop/bike pump at home to do this. :) But when you're on the road and need to stop at a gas station, many of those air stations' nozzles make it quite difficult to pump for most motorcycles due to the wheel type & brake rotors. Personally I don't have 90 degree stems installed, the bike floor pump I use at home works well. And the MotoPump I bought and carry for flats has a screw on nozzle which makes it easy to access and inflate.

YMMV...

robertv said:
strum said:

Easy to say when you have a good floor/shop/bike pump at home to do this. :) But when you're on the road and need to stop at a gas station, many of those air stations' nozzles make it quite difficult to pump for most motorcycles due to the wheel type & brake rotors. Personally I don't have 90 degree stems installed, the bike floor pump I use at home works well. And the MotoPump I bought and carry for flats has a screw on nozzle which makes it easy to access and inflate.

YMMV...
Exactly.....easy to do when one has the short chuck air fitting.  Try it with a 10" chuck when that  is all that's available.  BMW has the slickest valves on their cast wheels. 

I can see where it would be good to carry one of those extensions for an emergency pump up at some off the wall station. I get that.
:beerchug:

My C-14 is not a problem at home, but at QT or somewhere,  not so easy. My Wing has the 90 degree stems and it's a piece of cake. I've got a screw on, 90 degree extension that I sometimes use on the C-14.

I have a small chuck on my home compressor.. and check before leaving usually..
top up at home when needed.. On the road, I have a pump in my bag, for on road repaires, it's old school 90* lever clip on, so no issue with it...

If I need to top up air on the road, it's clear there is a bigger problem than trying to use a gas station pump.. i.e., why did I loose air...

I carry a plug kit also. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Wow . I figured everyone had a small pump in their bags at all times . Thats whats great about having bags . Plenty of space for nessacary tools etc .

The 90 degree valve stems only help me on the road where I do not know what type of chuck I may encounter. There is no difference in my shop as I always have the right equipment to air up. It is always easy to forget things like low profile chucks and the 90 degree valve stems make it possible to easily use whatever tools you have at hand.