• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

99 fork seals

Pete

Big Wheel
I've seen all the tech articles regarding fork seal replacement, but they all seem to only go as far as 94, with the proviso that post 94 is a little different. How different? Other than no drain plug, are there any differences in the make up of the seals? Anything major that i should be aaware of?

Pete; There is not a lot of difference in the process of replacing the seals on a 94- 06 Connie other than (this is off the top of my head) 1) The later models don't use air to adjust the pre-load, there is a turn screw at the top of each leg. So there is no air transfer collar/pipe on the later models 2) The oil level is different and its measured differently one is measured with the forks compressed the other with them fully extended. 3) draining the oil is different as you observed. (I use a mity-vac) 4) The wipers and seals are different part numbers so buy the correct onces from Murphs! http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=54 5) There is a sort of brace on the early models, but generally the later models front end is better due in part to the difference in wheel width/tire profile 110/80 vs 120/70 Hope that helps CP
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg