• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A potential 45 degree tire valve solution.

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
No, it's not 90 degrees, but it beats the straight up stock stems in my humble opinion.

I just finished a battery replacement in the sensor and I'll have the tires installed tomorrow. Then I will have a better idea if it works. My fingers are crossed!

20210416_073835[1].jpg

20210416_073823[1].jpg

Does anyone know what the spring is for?

I applies a measured friction/pressure between the rim and sensor to keep the sensor from dancing around inside the tire.

By design the connector that goes through the sensor actually does not tighten up on the sensor, the spring does that. The connector tightens up on the bottom of the rim inside the tire, then the seal and top portion of the valve on the outside. It also keeps the sensor OFF the rim inside the tire and I suspect helps absorb shock then potholes and other unsavory road hazards attack the tire and rim.

Attached: pictures of the mounted stems before going to the shop

It took longer to get the tires back from the shop. I picked them up last night and mentioned the valve to the tire tech. He said he had never seen an angled stem with a sensor before so he paid more attention to it before and after mounting than he does with normal stems. He said it worked GREAT and passed all the tests. He is sure it will "work fine" and I will have no trouble with it.

I plan to remount the rims by the weekend and I will get photos when.

Attachments

• 20210417_112713[1].jpg
    20210417_112713[1].jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 20210417_113027[1].jpg
    20210417_113027[1].jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 167
Honda sells a 90 degree valve stem (from the Gold Wing) for $20 that is made for these LDL sensors. Murph used to carry them, but I don't think he has anymore.

VALVE ASSY., RIM
42755-MCA-R31

Swinging the sensors on a string is a good way to smack one against something and break it. If you really want to test them that way, I'd attach it to a bicycle rear wheel with a zip tie and/or tape, and then turn the bike upside down next to the motorcycle and crank the rear wheel until you get a reading.

Also, be aware that sudden shocks or jolts (like drops) to a sensor can ruin the accelerometer in it and cause it to fail later.

Attachments

• GoldWingValve.JPG
    GoldWingValve.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Honda sells a 90 degree valve stem (from the Gold Wing) for $20 that is made for these LDL sensors. Murph used to carry them, but I don't think he has anymore.

VALVE ASSY., RIM
42755-MCA-R31

Swinging the sensors on a string is a good way to smack one against something and break it. If you really want to test them that way, I'd attach it to a bicycle rear wheel with a zip tie and/or tape, and then turn the bike upside down next to the motorcycle and crank the rear wheel until you get a reading.

Also, be aware that sudden shocks or jolts (like drops) to a sensor can ruin the accelerometer in it and cause it to fail later.
I like that bike wheel idea.