• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A Thank you shout out to Steve Mustoe

mitchvon

Mini Bike
During the bad weather of this year’s Bun Cooler, I was talking to Bob Rainey about a ride I was planning down the Oregon and Northern California Coasts through the Redwoods and Big Sur. Bob suggested I should take in California’s Lost Coast.  As he pulled out his maps and described the ride and scenery I became intrigued.

I set out in July on a solo journey to the Lost Coast and Beyond.  My first stop would be Coos Bay, OR.  As I headed west on Hwy 126 between Eugene and Florence I came to a red light in Veneta.  The light changed and I proceeded into the intersection at the same time an emergency vehicle entered from my left.  I foolishly hit my brakes and swerved to my right to avoid the EV.  I found myself on the pavement in a loving embrace with fully fueled C-10.  No speed was involved and feeling stupid, I crawled out from under the bike to lift it up. It was then I found that my left ankle was no working properly.

The Emergency Vehicle witnessed my accident and quickly rendered help. He administered and IV to ensure I felt no pain. Fortunately by throwing myself between the pavement and the bike, it was mostly unharmed.  I was asked if I wanted it towed to a yard.  Thinking that was better than leaving it on the corner I said yes. My bike was taken to a tow yard while I was taken the hospital. The Doctor congratulated me on doing a splendid job on shattering the fibula of my left my ankle.  The post operative X-ray revealed what had become of my old erector set.  Without getting graphic, I now that the ability to set off metal detectors with TSA.

I said I was on a Solo ride but that is not quite accurate, as membersof COG non of us never ride SOLO. 

I called local COGer Steve Mustoe who lived in nearby Eugene OR.  As soon as I told Steve of my accident he asked how he could help.  He agreed to keep my bike in his garage till I could ride it home or make other arrangements.  My next call was to my wife on a Saturday night to ask if she could make a 6 hour drive from Seattle to Eugene to give her horse’s ass of a husband a ride home. She agreed.

Back in Seattle I received an email from Steve offering to bring my bike in his truck when he came to Seattle to celebrate his brother’s birthday. When Steve arrived with my bike  I thanked him again for his good support.

I've read of other COGers in need and how members came to their rescue.  I hadn't planned on this but it was mighty comforting to know you have someone out there for support when things go bad.

I want to thank Steve again for his great support.  I was hours from home and he came through when I need help. 
I went to our webpage and under my information made sure that in the directory I'm listed as able to provide assistance to other members and made sure my phone number is visible in the directory.

Steve probably won't read this for a while as he was off volunteering at an orphanage in Nepal.  Steve is a great person but then aren't all COGers?  Thanks Steve for the good help and support. 

Join for the Bike Stay for the People is certainly true.  When you join COG you never ride alone.

As you become more involved in this club the cost of the dues diminish. Great story Mitch. :beerchug: Good on ya Steve. If you need help in So Nevada call.