• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adaptiv TPX radar detector visual alert oddity

lather

I have the Adaptiv power harness and visual alert installed on both my 08 Concours 14 and my 13 BMW R1200 RT.
Some background for those unfamiliar with this item: The harness has several wires, positive and negative power supply from bike battery plus outputs for audio and visual alerts. I don't use the audio alerts since I listen to music with wires earbuds. The problem is that the visual alert will only work if earplugs are plugged into the audio output jack. I can't think of any way this should happen unless there is some internal failure in the unit but before I replace it I want to check with the smart guys on here who know a lot more about electrons than I do.

I have absolutely no familiarity with this unit other than what I just learned from their website.

But will that keep me from typing something here??? Nay Nay. :p

Assuming that it isn't designed to operate that way (and I didn't read anything in their support section to indicate that it is)
I would
1) just find a set of cheap head phones ($9.95 or so?) and plug them in and not use them ...wrap them up and tape them under the tupperware somewhere.
2) check the main harness connection for connectivity of the ground wire...it could be that the visual alert only gets a ground connection when the phones are plugged in for some reason.
3) ..of course I guess if I was spending your money instead of mine, I could just go by a new unit and hope the problem mentioned above (see #2 above) doesn't affect the new unit.

So do you have two harnesses and only one unit that you move from bike to bike as needed? If so then that probably would exclude a grounding problem just by probability, but maybe there is bent pin or bad connection at the main connector which gets moved from bike to bike with the unit.

Good Luck with this, hopefully someone with the same problem will come along and tell you what they did to fix it.

I have 2 Adaptiv units and neither of them need anything plugged into the audio jack for the alert light to work. I only use the light, have never used the audio signal.

Have you tried contacting the company?The radar forum I belong to has a section on bikes. I could try there.

I had considered this option but just went with the signal through blue tooth ear buds. Have phone and detector plugged into a transmitter. I would miss not knowing if an alert was k or ka band.

Will try to respond to all replies: I have already plugged in a cheap set of earbuds but I'm not very satified with that solution. I have three harnesses one three different bikes but the visual alert only on the Concours and the RT. I'm going to examine the connector on the unit itself with a magnifying glass soon as I post this, I could not see anything wrong with the naked eye. The TPX is the first generation model. It does have bluetooth but I always listen to music and think my earbuds can only connect to one source.
Since I posted this I discovered something else. The unit has what looks like holes for a speaker on its bottom but no sound is produced. When I have the ear buds plugged in and in my ear I hear beeps. I have not tried contacting the company yet. Faseljd, does yours beep?

Apparently there is a shorted circuit in my detector. I could probably send it off to get it fixed but its easier to just plug a cheap set of ear buds in,

Plugging in a set of earbuds worked for awhile but no longer. I need to check and see it they got pulled loose.

I have nothing plugged into the audio out on my adaptiv, and the visual alert works ok.
Good luck with yours.

Mine is working intermittently with an earbud set plugged in. I feel certain my unit has some internal problem.