• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adding Conspicuity

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
A friend of mine use to hang a mirror covered disco ball on top of his hang glider to make him more visible to approaching aircraft. It was very effective as it would reflect the sun in all directions.

I got to thinking, what would happen if I hung one of them on my bike?
Would I get pulled over for distracting cage drivers?

I might try it out. I could always claim it's a lucky charm to keep me safe.

iu

Harry Martin said:
...I got to thinking, what would happen if I hung one of them on my bike?...
I think the words you're looking for are "target fixation"...

Per Wikipedia...
Target fixation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Target fixation is an attentional phenomenon observed in humans in which an individual becomes so focused on an observed object (be it a target or hazard) that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object. It is associated with scenarios in which the observer is in control of a high-speed vehicle or other mode of transportation, such as race-car drivers and motorcyclists.[1] In such cases, the observer may fixate so intently on the target that they steer in the direction of their gaze, which is often the ultimate cause of a collision.

Chris

Instead of disco ball you can hang this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_nuts
It is very conspicuous  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

But crude, lewd and socially unacceptable.  ;)

I thought COG members had class...

Chris

Daboo said:
Harry Martin said:
...I got to thinking, what would happen if I hung one of them on my bike?...
I think the words you're looking for are "target fixation"...

Per Wikipedia...
Target fixation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Target fixation is an attentional phenomenon observed in humans in which an individual becomes so focused on an observed object (be it a target or hazard) that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object. It is associated with scenarios in which the observer is in control of a high-speed vehicle or other mode of transportation, such as race-car drivers and motorcyclists.[1] In such cases, the observer may fixate so intently on the target that they steer in the direction of their gaze, which is often the ultimate cause of a collision.

Chris

...which leads to a slight modification. Mount it on a pole so that it swings out during stops so that it is behind the driver stopped next to you. Yea, that would work, kinda like a fish lure. Have them crash into the vehicle next to you.

And yet, another wonderful cartoon idea. >:D

This thread is not what I expected , but too funny  :rotflmao:

Daboo said:
Sort of like this?

b18812442155408598b289958d27b887.png

Chris

Hey, that even looks like Harry!!
  :)

just-a-thought;
Harry, instead of hanging the little Christmas ball on the front of your bike, how about gluing it to the top of your helmet,,
          or (better yet) buy a helmet with the little shiny squares all over it.  :great:
                      Could be seen from all sides!!   :great:

"Ohh ohh", I can sense another Road Rash cartoon in the making...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=AQtamJVJ&id=35E6C73573EC24C6D18CC33EFF8DC470315040CD&thid=OIP.AQtamJVJBf5dDp-qfe0O1QHaFA&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.plungeproductions.com%2fwp-content%2fgallery%2fdisco-ball-costume%2fdisco-ball-helmet.jpg&exph=474&expw=700&q=disco+ball+motorcycle+helmet&simid=608054134659419528&selectedIndex=20&qpvt=disco+ball+motorcycle+helmet&ajaxhist=0

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Daboo said:
Sort of like this?

b18812442155408598b289958d27b887.png

Chris

Hey, that even looks like Harry!!
  :)

just-a-thought;
Harry, instead of hanging the little Christmas ball on the front of your bike, how about gluing it to the top of your helmet,,
          or (better yet) buy a helmet with the little shiny squares all over it.  :great:
                      Could be seen from all sides!!   :great:

"Ohh ohh", I can sense another Road Rash cartoon in the making...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=AQtamJVJ&id=35E6C73573EC24C6D18CC33EFF8DC470315040CD&thid=OIP.AQtamJVJBf5dDp-qfe0O1QHaFA&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.plungeproductions.com%2fwp-content%2fgallery%2fdisco-ball-costume%2fdisco-ball-helmet.jpg&exph=474&expw=700&q=disco+ball+motorcycle+helmet&simid=608054134659419528&selectedIndex=20&qpvt=disco+ball+motorcycle+helmet&ajaxhist=0

Ride safe, Ted

I'm gonna test my idea while parked next to my good buddy...Ted.  >:D

Ted won't be able to take his eyes off of you. You know how he's attracted to shiny objects. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Maybe Harry's "is" onto something?

{COG Band at recent Jam session}
      Some drinking, "WAS" involved!

https://scoop-cms.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/551122a847a155693a8b4568/DiscoBallHeads-20.jpg 

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Maybe Harry's "is" onto something?

https://scoop-cms.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/551122a847a155693a8b4568/DiscoBallHeads-20.jpg

Ride safe, Ted

A helmet like that would be awesomeness. But heavy as hell.  :(

DiscoBallHeads-20.jpg

A helmet like that would be awesomeness. But heavy as hell.  :(

welcome to 1975....
what we thought back then, as ridiculously funny (yes, I did make one.. and even wore it a couple times racing MX...) comes full circle...

now its fashionable...

disco.jpg

also had a "fully chromed" one, I got at a garage sale in '78,

so, 40 years later, you guys think yer cool for coming up with it????

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

next thing you will probably "invent" the cool "Fiber optic" helmet... you know, the one where you drill like 1000 tiny holes in the shell, and glue all those little strands from the inside thru the holes...

10687_fiber_centerpiece_frontv4_600_1.1412023869.gif

yep, did that one to, real waste of a good buzz back in 78...
:)) :)) :)) :)) :))  "dude, that is soooooo coool..."

why stop there tho, because if you are really freaking old...(like Ted)
these were the BOMB...

star%2Btrek%2Bspock%2Bhelmet.jpg

helmet2.jpg

so cool, the cops copied it...

UTQTON2UBV5.jpg

but remember, as always "batteries NOT included"...
and back then, carbon batteries lasted about 20 minutes... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

10687_fiber_centerpiece_frontv4_600_1.1412023869.gif

Hey, that "Would" look good on Harry.    He wouldn't even need a battery to light them up!
  "The way I figure it"  He wouldn't need no stinkin' helmet.
        {We could drill holes in his head}...  :great:
                At night, he would be Conspicuous as heck!!         

Ride safe, Ted

Dam you guys  ow I actually  want one of those mohawk helmet tops in fiberoptic  LOL

{Hmmm, maybe Harry has a catchy idea?}  :rotflmao:

Just so you know. We're total Angels, and not trying to hurt the others that might want to try this..  O:)

We're trying to help our Buddy "Harry" with his Adding Conspicuity plans...…..  :D
  {As you know, were always there for another Cogger.. (even harry)}  :great:

Hmm, you gave me an idea..
    Maybe we can drill the holes in his head, so that he has a fiberoptic "Mohawk".

What do ya think Harry?

Ride safe, Ted

Harry Martin said:
Grant said:
Is it DOT compliant...LOL

At the end of each fiber is a bright DOT. So yes, it is DOT compliant.
Next question.

As you would expect; I do have a "next question" or 2.

#1  Did you buy/make your Disco helmet?  ::)
#2  When do you plan to drill the holes in your head for the Mohawk?  :sign0151:
#3  After inserting the fiber optics into the head/holes,,, will the fiber optic's flash?  :pDT_Armataz_01_37:

Yer Buddy, Ted  :s_bye2:

connie_rider said:
As you would expect; I do have a "next question" or 2.

#1  Did you buy/make your Disco helmet?  ::)
#2  When do you plan to drill the holes in your head for the Mohawk?  :sign0151:
#3  After inserting the fiber optics into the head/holes,,, will the fiber optic's flash?  :pDT_Armataz_01_37:

Yer Buddy, Ted  :s_bye2:

Answer #1. No, I borrowed yours.
Answer #2. After I return your Disco helmet.
Answer #3. Yes.

:p TED :s_laugh:

Good plan.
  "Cheap" {as usual}, but effective.....  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Pls return my Disco helmet with "and" the $$ you owe me..  :rotflmao:

It would be really cool if those fibers could project Harry's cartoons straight from his brain  :D  :))  :rotflmao:

You should get the disco balls blessed by the COG director then you could sell them to people who think the Gremlin Bells are superstitious nonsense.