• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Additional Windshield Height...?

CycleRider

Anyone have any insights on either a clip or bolt on windscreen extender...and or a taller windscreen? I'm 6'0 and even with my screen at the full up position I get a good deal of buffeting. I use a full face SHOEI helmet so it's manageable but tucking down just a few inches sure seems to make a huge difference. I'd love to have that quiet of a ride in the full upright position. Anyone know of a good windshield extender?

I'm shorter a use the MRA Vario. It gives you a lot of options on wind flow and works well for many near 6" tall.
At 6", they also offer the MRA X-creen.

Looked at Ebay and found this page that offers many options. The Puig Touring screen might be a good option?

NOTE: If you like to ride at speed, tall shields have caused some windshield frame problems. Read up on that.

You can also try an inexpensive {Clip-on} Windshield extension and see if it helps. Several here.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I'm 5'11" & have a 1 1/2" taller than stock seat, so I sit a little higher. I use the MRA Vario shield with Madstad brackets, the MRA is several inches shorter than stock. I would look into the Madstad brackets, they allow you to tilt the shield forward & backward. The straighter up the shield is the more it throws air over your head. Also lets lots of air under the shield & removes any back pressure.

Anyone have any insights on either a clip or bolt on windscreen extender...and or a taller windscreen? I'm 6'0 and even with my screen at the full up position I get a good deal of buffeting. I use a full face SHOEI helmet so it's manageable but tucking down just a few inches sure seems to make a huge difference. I'd love to have that quiet of a ride in the full upright position. Anyone know of a good windshield extender?
I have a 2013 Concours 14 with V-Stream and just ordered MRA Tour Spoiler and clamp on mount. In about a week I will post my thoughts. I am 6’ 1” with 34 inch inseam so I need some extra height.

I don't like the stock screen at all. I have the same complaint as you. The extender makes it much better. Don't tell anybody, but I took Ted's advice on the MRA vario. I'm a smidge under 6'. With a stock seat and the MRA, the air was smooth but hit me right in my eyes. If I hadn't added madstad brackets, I would have moved on to a different screen. With the madstad brackets, I can ride with my face shield open and be happy. I think the improvement is due to the shield being farther away from the rider and being able to adjust the angle.

V-stream and mra spoiler... im 5'10" with heli bars so i sit more upright then most. I dont need to run it up to full up position. The mra spoilers are adjustable so u can tune it to push more over you...

I'm 6' (34" inseam) and I'm running a Trimmed Down by 3" OEM Shield, added the Cal-Si large lower opening and with the MRA Tour Spoiler bolted to it.

You say ... TRIMMED DOWN!!!!!!?????? yes. There's more to controlling the buffeting than just physically trying to push the air higher.

As air leaves the top edge of the shield, it wants to curl down and fill the Low Air Pressure Pocket between the shield and the rider. To reduce this curling effect, you have to create two or more Air Pathways, with one of them ideally being up the inside (riders side) of the shield, so that as these Streams of Air will want to Merge as they leave the top edge of the shield, which in turn will reduce the curling effect that's causing the buffeting.

Attachments

• 2015-05-17 18.04.46.jpg
    2015-05-17 18.04.46.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 390
  • 20150614_062726.jpg
    20150614_062726.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
I'm shorter a use the MRA Vario. It gives you a lot of options on wind flow and works well for many near 6" tall.
At 6", they also offer the MRA X-creen.

Looked at Ebay and found this page that offers many options. The Puig Touring screen might be a good option?

NOTE: If you like to ride at speed, tall shields have caused some windshield frame problems. Read up on that.

You can also try an inexpensive {Clip-on} Windshield extension and see if it helps. Several here.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks for all the information. Greatly appreciated. Ill update this string once I make decision and have some rides with it.

I use a mra sport shield. they have a touring model too. made in germany. kinda pricey but very adjustable.

Attachments

• IMG_20211010_113614_118.jpg
    IMG_20211010_113614_118.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 163
summer you can flip it down low, winter max elevation. im 6 ft wind goes right over me. stock windscreen (2008)

I have three options for mine:

One (actually have two of them) is the stock '08-'09 windshield. These are run on both bikes in hot, dry weather.

Next is the stock '12 windshield. It's on my '08 at the moment. In temps from the mid 70s down to the mid 50s (which is what Ahia typically experiences in mid September through early November) this one is perfect with regards to air flow and protection. It's also my summertime rain shield.

Colder than that...a 4.5" taller CalSci gets put on the '08, and the '12 gets its original shield back. I may end up getting another Gen2 stock shield, and should I pick up a Gen3 the game will begin anew.

FWIW, I'm 6'4" and have a 34" inseam.

Last edited:
I bought one of those to experiment with. The cheap plastic joints broke 2 miles down the freeway. I sent the remaining parts back for a refund.

I bought one of those to experiment with. The cheap plastic joints broke 2 miles down the freeway. I sent the remaining parts back for a refund.
the mra is expensive but its all metal. has locks on top and bottom. super stable even at a 150;)

I do. I like the low profile 08 windscreen. I bought vstream and 1 ride later I took it right off. sold it to one of the members. the one I have is the sport model. I'm sure the tour is way bigger. it does it job and in the summer, drop it down in front. the adjusters are notched like gears. it's built very tough(german). give it a try.

if you buy the tour model and don't like it, I will buy it off of ya. the smoke tint not ideal for the mountains by the way.

$150 is new windscreen territory. Do you think the MRA has advantages over just buying a taller windscreen?
I think it does. It allows me to put it down and redirect the air on the hot days, then up with air directed over my head on the cool/rainy days.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
putting it together is not fun. you have to build this baby like a erector set. took me 2 hours to figure it out. (I'm demented though)😉

I ended up buying and installing the MRA visor. Definitely a little pricey but id does install easily and work well. It softens the buffeting dramatically. The only criticism / potential negative comment I have is... It does tend to cause the main windshield to bounce and buffet quite a bit a speeds of 60+. There's been a couple times I reached up and grabbed the main shield to hold it from fear it might break. I probably need to try different adjustment angles on the visor.

I ended up buying and installing the MRA visor. Definitely a little pricey but id does install easily and work well. It softens the buffeting dramatically. The only criticism / potential negative comment I have is... It does tend to cause the main windshield to bounce and buffet quite a bit a speeds of 60+. There's been a couple times I reached up and grabbed the main shield to hold it from fear it might break. I probably need to try different adjustment angles on the visor.
I think you need a different angle. The only time I see that is in dirty air such as to close behind my buddies Valkyrie with a barn door for a shield.

I've got one installed and the solution for this airflow phenomenon was to open the vent at least the first click. That stabilizes the air on the inside and immediately the buffeting stopped. Try it and see if it doesn't resolve for you and then let us know. :^ ) AB

I've said it before...... but let me try to explain it again....

Allowing more Air Flow to the back surface of the shield will do way more to eliminating buffeting than having a larger shield.

The reason for buffeting is that there's not enough air flowing up the back surface. This means that the air flowing up the front surface is being allowed to Curl Over the top edge and into the rider. Just add a few large strings to the top edge and hang them over it toward the rider. Then go for a ride and see how they react. If the are curling over and downward, you're getting a lot of buffeting and you don't have enough air flowing up the back surface of the shield.

Try this experiment as judge for yourself. I dare you!

Let me know when you want me to suggest how to get more airflow to the back surface. :cool:

You can get more air to the back surface by either spacing the shield further away from it's current mounting points or make some openings in the lower third of the shield by drilling holes or cutting openings and/or slots.

I'm running a Cut Down (-4") factory shield in which I cut an opening like the Cal-S and added a MRA Visor. See post #8 above for photos.

I'm 6' (34"inseam) and I run this shield configuration year round.