• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Advanced Rider Course?

beaucephus

Scooter
Anyone have experience with a Central Florida Advanced Riding Course?  I'm having trouble finding who actually offers it due to limitations in websites being focused on basics.  I've ridden about 30k miles on 5 different bikes, and want to increase my skills without getting bored.  Is an MSF-based course even the right thing for me?

The MSF Advanced Rider Course (formerly called the Sport Rider Course) was developed originally for the military to provide training to members returning from Afghanistan who were purchasing sport bikes and then getting killed or seriously injured due to lack of skills.

It was modified slightly to better fit the civilian market and re-named.

The course concentrates on cornering, braking, and emergency maneuvers. IMO, as a former MSF RiderCoach, it is an excellent follow-on course to the Basic Rider Course and Basic Rider Course 2.

It's hard to find someplace where it is offered as most schools concentrate more on the BRC as that's the one that gets new riders their motorcycle endorsement.  Here in SC, you can't enroll in the ARC without having over 1000 miles after getting your endorsement (I don't know how they check that).  My experience is that the vast majority of riders don't believe they need more training and are unwilling to pay for it.

I cannot answer your question about is an MSF based course right for you.  IMO, you might be genuinely surprised at what you will learn in a BRC (presuming you've never been through one) IF you approach it with an open mind. When I would try to encourage an "experienced" rider to take the course the usual response was, "Why? What are they gonna teach ME?  I've been riding X years. I know what I'm doing." My usual response was, "How many close calls have you had this month? Do you REALLY know how to do emergency maneuvers? Do you REALLY have X years experience or do you have one year's experience X times?"

I'd been riding for over 40 years before I became a RiderCoach in 2005. I thought I was a pretty good rider.  I was humbled by how much I learned and I'm a much better rider now.

One aspect the independent schools consider for financials, they will not have  pre scheduled an advanced rider course that is only one day, that would prevent the scheduling of the basic rider course (2 days, more dollars) which is their bread and butter.
However, they will usually do them on demand if there is enough interest. With the school I work at, you have to reach out to the school directly to request an advanced class, they may already have one setup for a local dealer, rider group or something they could slide you in to.

beaucephus said:
Anyone have experience with a Central Florida Advanced Riding Course?  I'm having trouble finding who actually offers it due to limitations in websites being focused on basics.  I've ridden about 30k miles on 5 different bikes, and want to increase my skills without getting bored.  Is an MSF-based course even the right thing for me?

Thanks for the replies.  I should have mentioned I took the BRC before buying a bike, even though I've had the endorsement for decades.  The road test was a pretty low bar to stumble over.  Everyone should do the BRC that got their endorsement before it was mandatory. 

I remember seeing pictures from a previous Jennings event, and I was not aware it occurred annually.  If I have an appropriate bike then, I'd consider it for sure.  I think the Ultra-classic I'm currently riding would be less than appropriate. 

I don't know about that... my wife is planning to ride her Vulcan-S. I think it may have a little more ground clearance than the H-D, but might be close. You guys can compete with each other  :beerchug:

Don't know about Florida, but here in Vegas we have the Basic Rider Course (BRC) in which students get their own bikes, and the Basic Rider Course TWO (BRC2), wherein students bring their own bikes. The BRC2 is a single day vs 3 days, and a lot quicker paced (as one would expect). They also work on different and more complex skills.

And like Jim said there's the ARC, which is even more advanced. In Vegas the ARC is only offered at Nellis Air Force base, but the BRC and BRC2 to everyone.

Vic hit the nail on the head. The company I work for has advanced courses when enough names have been collected and confirmed. Ranges are at a premium. It is getting harder and harder for schools to find suitable locations due to liability and insurance.

Contact the Safety Council in Orlando - see if they are taking names for an upcoming course. You might also try the Harley dealer in Melbourne where they have a range on their property. HTH

Beaucephus, even if you don't ride, consider coming to Jennings with us.
You could learn from setting in on the classes and watching..
Check with Doug to see if that is ok...

Ride safe, Ted

The Jennings course is not about speed.  It is about becoming a more
proficient rider, by being able to practice riding techniques in a safe
environment.  Yes you may get a little faster, which ain't a bad thing,
but you gain that through improved technique.

It's a great weekend.  :beerchug: