• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

after tire change, battery low, low front tire

redline

I just got my front tire changed and now I keep getting a low front tire pressure , low battery message, almost non stop. I checked the tire pressure this morning and it had gone down from 43 to 33 psi. filled it up again and lasted all day. Do I have a broken tire sensor for the front or is it really a battery issue. I also have had that issue since I had this bike that if she sits for a week , low battery but does charge fairly quickly. Ted Proud to be American! (since 2005) Lost and found in 1991 2008 C14 "Freebird"

Ted You say "got the ....tire changed" and "gone down from 43 to 33." Some clarification is requested. A: Was the wheel mounted and dismounted by a dealer/bike shop or did you do it yourself? B: Was the tire changed by a dealer/bike shop or did you do it yourself. C: Upon remounting the tire, did you verify the pressure was at 43 psi or are you assuming the pressure was at 43 psi. D: Are you saying the tire is now holding steady and the low pressure warning is off? Or is the pressure steady and the warning is still on? Without any of the facts above, it SOUNDS like the dealer/shop filled the tire to what he felt was OK (33 PSI) and then never reset the TP low warning. Maybe. Unfortunately I am not that cognizant (pun intended) on C13 TP Sensors, but I know on my Vette that you need to go through this little drill every time the the tires are changed else you'll get teh low TP warning. So, I assume Kawasaki has the same kind of drill. The Original Rich Reed COG #7 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R 1977 Yamaha XS650 Standard 2004 Little Blue Chevy "Over the hill it's five bucks. Here in Idaho it's a hundred and eighty."

good point about the restting except i wouldn't know. I have to admit i have my tires changed at the dealer.I have never done it myself and maybe should learn how to do it. when i first left the dealer after they changed the front tire, the gauge showed the correct pressure, i never put a tire gauge on it at that time. the next morning as I went for my saturday ride the gauge read that 33 psi. when i verified it , it really was that low.I filled it up and it stayed at the correct psi setting since but still getting the low front tire waning / low battery anyway.I think I'll stop by the dealer and see if they might have to reset it. I need to get a battery anyway. mine has always had that issue after a week of not driving that it gives me the low battery warning. someone hear mentioned that there were a number of bikes that had that issue out of the box. never had any issues getting her started but also don't want to wait until that happens. Ted Proud to be American! (since 2005) Lost and found in 1991 2008 C14 "Freebird"

I seem to recall reading other C14 owners reports (on the other forum) of bad behavior of the TPS. In some cases it was a bad TPS and was replaced under warranty. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

The tire pressure sensors in the C14 are powered by a small lithium ion coin type battery. Lithium batteries are subject to a problem that causes the initial voltage on them to be low, due to a passivation layer that builds up on the anode of the battery when they are at rest. As current is drawn from the battery, this passivation layer breaks down, and the voltage begins to rise back to normal. In colder temps, the passivation layer breaks down at a slower rate, thus causing low battery warning messages. If the message goes away after a couple minutes of riding, this is most likely what is occurring, but if it stays on, then you could have a bad battery in your tire pressure sensor. FYI, I have taken a sensor apart, and it would be possible to replace the battery in one, though they aren't really designed to have that done. You have to split open the case, and then buy a coin battery with tabs spot welded on it, and you would have to solder it onto the circuit board. Since the tire pressure sensors are covered under the 3 year warranty, if you have a bad battery in one, I would suggest getting your dealer to replace it. He will also have to program it into the KIPASS ECU with the Kawasaki KDS3 diagnostic tool. When bikes start going out of warranty, owners might want to start trying to change out batteries on their own, since the sensors are about $135 each, and then you would have to also pay the dealer labor to reprogram the KIPASS for the new sensor. As for the low pressure warning, it is designed to come on when the tires reach 32 psi (or 220 KPA). This is normal operation The photos below show a sensor opened up, and are provided for your entertainment only. http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tiresensor
large.jpg