• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Aftermarket Non-locking Gas Cap

Easy13

Scooter
The lock mechanism on my OEM gas cap was dodgy at best and no amount of lube/tweaking of it made me feel anything other than dread when it came time to fill'r up.  Found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-2006-Kawasaki-Black-Billet-Gas-Fuel-Cap-Lid-Ninja-GTR1000-ZG1000-CONCOURS-/370871420264?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5659a8c568&vxp=mtr

It mounted right up, opens and closes easily with no leaks or issues.  2000 miles on it so far and the key stays in the ignition.

Y'all didn't really think you were done farkling yet, didja?

Thanks for that easy, I just bought 2. Gave one of my kids an old resto job, and he promptly busted the key off in the gas cap. this is just what he needs, and I figure I'll try one too - Steve

The cap's threaded on, takes about 1.5 full turns to tighten.  There's an O-ring that snugs it up well without making it too tight.  It took a little practice to get it on, but it's never come close to trying to crossthread.  Overall, I love the thing.  :great:

Aint heard it whistle yet, but after a long hot day of riding, I doubt I'd care if it started singing opera (or Ozzy, for that matter).  ;)

Hey, now you have my attention. I think I like that. I almost broke my key off on a trip once. Does the cap vent properly?

Got mine. That's a nice piece of machining for the money! It does have a vent system under the cap, a couple spring loaded ball bearings. I don't quite get how it vents exactly, but it appears to vent out the area where the tank overflow hose originates. I'll know more when I try to mount one up. Thanks for the heads up Easy13  :great:  Steve

wild man said:
Wonder how it does in the rain as some aftermarket caps tend to leak, Snarf?

There's a big rubber piece under the flange and an O ring on the cap.  I got caught in a major downpour/hailstorm and had no fear of the flood contaminating the fuel.

Freakin hail HURTS!

This is interesting to me as my current cap leaks out of the keyhole like mad if the tank is too full and I go over some bumps.  All other tank venting is open and clear so I can assume seals within the lock have just disintegrated over time.

Might need to put this on my list...

Mettler1 said:
  I'm in if it vents properly. Keep us updated. Thanks. :)

Venting - there's 2 tiny holes with a ball bearing / spring / setscrews to act as vents. One side for pressure, one for vacuum. My stepson told me his tank was still "whooshing" when he opened the tank, so I pulled one of the valves. it could leak some if the bike falls over, so don't fall over and the problem is solved  :D  Steve

I know this thread is very old but I was looking at getting one of these caps but had some concerns. Since some of you have had this cap for several years maybe you could help me out. I've read where the cap discoloration is really bad after only a few months. I've also read where the threading doesn't line up really well. Any of you have either of these problems???

Daryl said:
I know this thread is very old but I was looking at getting one of these caps but had some concerns. Since some of you have had this cap for several years maybe you could help me out. I've read where the cap discoloration is really bad after only a few months. I've also read where the threading doesn't line up really well. Any of you have either of these problems???
Update. This cap quit venting for me.Modifying the vent this weekend to try and resolve my problem.

Pbfoot said:
Update. This cap quit venting for me.Modifying the vent this weekend to try and resolve my problem.
Pb- did you resolve the issue?  Got the same cap, took the vents out just to see and mine had only 1 spring but did have a ball bearing under each set screw.

GKreamer said:
Pbfoot said:
Pb- did you resolve the issue?  Got the same cap, took the vents out just to see and mine had only 1 spring but did have a ball bearing under each set screw.
Yeah. I douched it out with some carb cleaner and all is well.

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Venting - there's 2 tiny holes with a ball bearing / spring / setscrews to act as vents. One side for pressure, one for vacuum. My stepson told me his tank was still "whooshing" when he opened the tank, so I pulled one of the valves. it could leak some if the bike falls over, so don't fall over and the problem is solved  :D  Steve

Hey SiSF! I know this thread is OLD but I found only one side of the vent had a spring, but both have ball bearings.  I'm going to pull the side missing the spring, just wanted to get any thoughts you might have?

I never had a problem with two different C10s opening the gas cap. I always pressed down on the cap slightly while turning the key. Worked every time.  :great:

But this seems like a nice farkle...      :)