• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Aftermarket TPMS suggestions

greenie

I'm looking into adding a tire pressure monitoring system - the type that features a valve stem cap that communicates with a mounted display - a preset warning when pressure drops would be best. These look to be priced from $45 - $250. Anyone have any experience with these systems?

greenie, about two years ago I got something very similar to this:

It reads pressure as well as tire temperature...seems to have worked well so far. There are a number from different manufacturers, all seem to be very much alike in terms of function, although there is a good bit of variance in price......

hth,
JA

It does help John. I'll give it a try. It's a PITA and borderline obsessive compulsive to check tire pressure before every ride.
BTW I tried a 90 degree valve stem on the rear tire - it failed in part ( I suspect) to centrifugal force which tended to force the sideways valve body down towards the rim at speed cracking the rubber base and allowing air to escape. The quick fix that allowed me to get home that day was using electrical tape to flex the valve body back and up. Maybe it was poor quality in the valve stem but once bitten twice shy.

Many thanks,
Bill

Can't help with the TMPS, but have a thought.
I know that you travel all over, and it's often difficult to find a air chuck that you can use on your motorcycle.

I bought one of these 90* extensions. I carry it with me for emergencies.
It allows me to air the tire wherever I am.
NOTE: Using this 90* extension puts side load on your valve stem, so support your valve stem as you air the tire.

Ride safe, Ted

It does help John. I'll give it a try. It's a PITA and borderline obsessive compulsive to check tire pressure before every ride.
BTW I tried a 90 degree valve stem on the rear tire - it failed in part ( I suspect) to centrifugal force which tended to force the sideways valve body down towards the rim at speed cracking the rubber base and allowing air to escape. The quick fix that allowed me to get home that day was using electrical tape to flex the valve body back and up. Maybe it was poor quality in the valve stem but once bitten twice shy.

Many thanks,
Bill
Bill, FWIW I find the TPMS to be incredibly handy...not only to keep me from having to crawl around checking tires all the time....it's just one less thing I have to worry about and if I ever were to spring a leak, I would know about it sooner rather than later.

As far as the 90-degree valve stems, my understanding is that there can be some pretty significant variance in the quality. These are one option that were recommended to me by several folks on the Long-Distance Riders list:

HTH,
John