• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Air Chuck Rear Shock

croach1776

Tonto
Any suggestions on what to use to safely fill rear shock with air. I have a bicycle air pump but the chuck is too deep to latch onto the
air valve on the rear shock. I have a compressor but worried it could damage shock due to excessive pressure

I always used a small 12 volt compressor for just a quick bump. It is controllable. Does not take much air - very quick on/off hit, measure with your gauge / adjust, repeat.

I am certain others use more sophisticated tools but this worked well for me for years with no damage.

Wayne

When I had a Harley Road King there was a hand-held pump used specifically for this purpose. I imagine there is something similar for metric bikes.

Use a separate air tank. Fill to the pressure you want and then fill the shock.
I have an old Freon tank with hose and chuck. I fill it to what ever pressure I
want then fill the shock from the tank.

Progressive Suspension makes a hand pump for adjusting front (on early models) or rear air pressure.
Can do 0 to 100psi

Thanks. I got a small air compressor for xmas. I can set pressure on that to desired pressure.
Connie Chalkdust says rear pressure 7 to 50 PSI any suggestions. Not real aggressive rider more into long rides. 190 lbs no two up. Thanks

I run 25-28 psi typically. I also have a small bicycle pump with a shallow chuck, so it might pay to shop around for a different pump. Check the depth with a toothpick or similar.

I use the regulator on my compressor set at about 45 psi, mostly 2 up riding. The volume of air in the shock is so small that checking it with a tire gauge will drop it a large amount. Only check it once and if it leaks at all while doing it, service it again.
A correct suspension service pump would be best,but I don't have one.

Seems like its holding air okay. Each time i have checked it under 10 psi. Thanks for all the advice. Will start looking for suitable hand pump. I think they make them were disconnects dont cause air lose. Hope they arent expensive.

Thanks I found an air chuck for my compressor that I think will fit on the
rear shock schrader valve. Its a square faced quick release. I need one anyway and
cheaper than the air pumps I have seen.