• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Alaska Adventure - 10,000 miles in 25 days

DCLXX

Seven days ago my buddy and I left Atlanta on our Kawasaki Concours 14's, and headed off to Alaska. Our plan is to visit multiple National Parks and Monuments as we traverse both the U.S. and Canada getting to Hyder, AK. If you'd like to follow us along the way you can click on my blog where I give daily updates, and photos. I've found it too difficult to try and update each forum/site individually, and that is much easier to just do it this way. So, if you have the time, please visit and follow along. Thanks.

https://thekrashsite.wordpress.com

Great write up! I will be reading as you carry on. Hope you get out of the rain, but you arguing to Alaska. expect more.

Kris - We (my riding buddies and me) are planning a road trip to Alaska for July 2019. Loved your write-up and especially your photos. I'm considering upgrading my camera for this trip and wonder what setup you used - specifically, what lenses did you find most useful for the photos that you posted?
Thanks! Jeff

Wow fantastic trip and write-up! Sorry I missed this earlier, would've loved to join you on the trip around PacNW! Definitely on my bucket list to do a trip like this on the C14. Thanks for sharing!!!  :beerchug:

I loved reading about your adventure.  The pictures are wonderful.  I most definitely want to do this.  I've always loved our country's national parks.  There is so much beauty and you really captured it.

Irene

Always Dirty C14 said:
Kris - We (my riding buddies and me) are planning a road trip to Alaska for July 2019. Loved your write-up and especially your photos. I'm considering upgrading my camera for this trip and wonder what setup you used - specifically, what lenses did you find most useful for the photos that you posted?
Thanks! Jeff

Sorry, been off the page for quite a while. I actually only used my phone (Samsung Galaxy S-9 Plus). I used a Nikon SLR on my cross-country trip from FL to CA a couple of years ago. I found that to be just too cumbersome, and that it was just much easier to use a phone. I specifically went out and purchased the S-9 just prior to the trip to AK for just this purpose. I didn't use any special filters or features. That stuff just confuses me. K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid.That's my motto when deciding what to use. Good luck on your trip. I wish you great success, and I hope you don't run into the wild fires like we did. It's a trip of a lifetime. 

Ah .... this would be a super trip; thanks for sharing your adventure. Now, if time and $$$$s were on my side, then I might consider doing the same.

I just got back from a fast run from Redding, California, up the coast to Olympia, Washington, then across the border into British Columbia. Did the North to Alaska trip,Anchorage, Fairbanks, Top-of-the-World Highway to Dawson Creek, and back to Redding. About 6400 miles in 13 days, on my C10. Adventure bikes were the norm up there, and a ride that will soak up the long miles and rough roads is a necessity. I hope you didn’t hit any of those unmarked dips in the road at any kind of speed, as they tended to try to buck a rider off. And how about those cool metal-decked bridges that felt like you were riding on marbles? Animals that I saw on grazing on the side of the road included elk, moose, deer, bighorn sheep, herds of bison, wild horses, and black bears. Lots of black bears. I saw enough on my fast run to know I need to take a whole summer fishing British Columbia and Alaska. So many lakes and rivers teeming with fish, and then there is saltwater fishing to die for as well. I would encourage anyone with an adventurous spirit to get a passport and make the North to Alaska ride.

Kinda curious....what prevented you from completing the BLOG about your trip? 
I find myself to be somewhat "distracted" at work from time to time and managed to read through your adventure, in awe of the spirit you and many other touring folks have. 

I hope to have the gumption to try a journey like this....someday....

Rubber side down!!