• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Alaska trips

mjsrmiller9825

In 2015 I had a chance to transport a Harley Road King from Long Beach to Anchorage. I flew from Portland Oregon, (I live rurally, not in Portland, I an happy to say). I picked the bike up and left Long Beach in evening rush hour, not something I would recommend. After that a night in route north and then a couple of days at home in coast range of Oregon before heading North. I found it a really enjoyable ride though the Canadian border checkpoint officials seemed in awe and told me I should have a KLR. Had a nice trip and saw a lot of wildlife and no problems with the Road King even on some long miles of gravel roads and repairs. It was late May and early June. I'm guessing some of you have done this on your Concourse. If you are so inclined don't let the naysayers tell you how hard it is. I had long wanted a Concours but just finally got one last fall. Wish I had pulled the trigger years ago. I was also lucky enough to take a solo trip around Argentina/Chile in 2008-2009 for almost 2 months on a rented Honda Trans Alp. Both of these were after a quad bypass in 2007. I still don't have a gps for my bike. I turned 59 in 2009 so you can do the math about the Alaska trip. Anyway, don't let a few little physical problems close down your horizons. I am happy to have found COG at a ripe old 70 and may have a few adventures left. Maybe a Honda 90 trail to Alaska.