• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Alpinestar Toucan MC Boots

2andblue

COG Executive Director
Anyone else have experience with the Alpinestar Toucan boot?

Tried on a couple dozen boots from all makes and models (e.g. Klim, Dainese, Alipinestars, Sidi to name a few brands and in shorts / talls / mid calf etc.) with the goal being waterproof, good crash protection, all weather capable and comfortable to walk in for short distances. This boot was the only one out that seemed to fit the bill.

First ride I was surprised how far off my shifter was as the boot’s toe box is very tall, got that fixed roadside. I totally missed my advice to everyone / always try out new gear before committing to a ride.

These boots are WAY larger and taller than my old Aplinestar XCR model that is now discontinued. They also seem to be more on the adventure side.

My riding pants fit over them, barely, and never thought about chafing on my shin. The top of the boot is rigid and rubbing directly against my skin for 500 miles and 11 hours was not a good result, will need to find a base layer that covers this part of my leg.

Other than the chaffing on the shins the boots are very comfy, offer awesome support and fatigue prevention.

Anyone else having used these boots please share your experience and any tall base layers preferred over another?

Wayne

Last edited:
I would love to find a new set of boots thats comfy to walk in without the large toe..

Watching this thread closely....let hear from y'all

LOL, not sure why you’re looking at boots that are worn for the Baja 1000 because the C14 isn’t all that good in deep sand. But I hear you, those boots look like serious business.

My choices were more streetable. This first pic is from my tall, all-weather DryStar boots. 7466F586-9700-4D3E-A3AE-C1977073629C.jpeg933E12A4-636F-4ECD-AAE1-372CD9B172A5.jpeg They can get a little muggy in the summer.

So, second pic is from my over-ankle SMX-1R summer bootsB355CCB8-F99B-4B14-ADE4-5BF694087BF4.jpeg .

Both are super comfy to walk around in without being obnoxious. The DryStar took a few shifts to get used to because they’re about 1/4” taller than the summer boots, but the adjustment wasn’t horrible.

Attachments

• 5029EBDD-3802-46FA-BF06-0FF486CD23EC.jpeg
    5029EBDD-3802-46FA-BF06-0FF486CD23EC.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 6CDA8380-5CA2-422C-85A3-5E28DE1E1C45.jpeg
    6CDA8380-5CA2-422C-85A3-5E28DE1E1C45.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Acc ankle.jpgacc implant2.jpg

I wish I would have had great boots when the idjut pulled out in front of me. I bought into the 'walking boot" idea. Now I wear the Forma ADV as I can not afford to have anything mess with what I got left down there. THe other side looks just as bad but this one got a whole new ankle.

As a practicing foot and ankle surgeon I looked for the most comfortable, walkable boots I could find. THe Forma ADV and the Alpinestars were the two that felt the best. THe Alpinestars were a shade too narrow and the Formas walked like a tennis shoe. The ADV guys scoff at the Formas and call them "not a real Adventure Boot" but for what I am doing on the road and walking when I get off the bike they work best for me.

The ADV low is a great option for the road but whatever you end up with I highly suggest good ankle protection and not just the leather sides "touring boots" offer. I also wear knee length compression hose under the boots https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LR42FW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Those will keep your legs fresh and limit swelling that comes with long hours in the saddle.

Just my thoughts.