• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Am I killing my batteries?

nickrides

Gents
For those in the know of the finer points....
On my 2014 C-14 I know there is a light parasitic power draw when the key is off. I've been leaving a Battery Tender Jr, 750 ma., hooked up to it.
When it's hooked up the voltage reads 13.2 V. Is this Ok long term? When I fully charge the battery and disconnect the ground lead the battery settles down at 12.8 for about a month and then goes to 12.7.
I've noticed that when I disconnect my batteries for the winter lay up and charge them once a month they seem to last much longer.
On another bike I left this charger on for the winter and the battery, a flooded lead acid, ran dry and ruined it.
Then this spring on another bike I left this charger on, for the winter, a sealed lead acid battery and it failed at the 24 month point.
Am I killing my batteries by leaving them hooked up at 13.2V all winter?
When my C-14 is running, FWIW, the voltage is 14.4V which is normal I believe.
Thanks in advance!
Nick
2014 C-14

I used a Battery Tender on my 2009 Concours, bought new in 2010, and I finally replaced the battery last year. It was on the original battery until then. I also was having no issues with the battery, but I thought after ten years, it was time. No, you aren't killing your battery, you are maintaining it. I started using a Battery Tender after the battery died too soon on my RC51. That battery cost about $260 back in 2007. I decided to use a Battery Tender from then on. If you have an actual Battery Tender, and not just a battery charger, it will be fine. I use the Battery Tender Jr. on my bikes.

It does
Its solid red when charging
Blinking red when near full charge
Solid green when full charge, this light comes on at 13.2V
Nick
2014 C-14

It does
Its solid red when charging
Blinking red when near full charge
Solid green when full charge, this light comes on at 13.2V
Nick
2014 C-14
Then the charger is working properly. as for the small drain over a month. that is just the electronics on the bike. DO you have any sort of chargers for phone or GPS?
Have you cleaned all the contact points on the ground cables at the battery location?

Nothing extra hooked up
Cables have been cleaned
Back to my original question:
Is it OK to put 13.2 V on the Battery long term? Months at a time?
C-14 weighs in saying it is Ok.
Or is it better to disconnect them and just charge them for a few hours once a month?
Then they sits at its natural level of 12.8-12.7V....
I've got a flooded lead acid battery that's been in my BMW 633 Csi for 11 years now and its fine, I'm getting tired of buying batteries for my bikes! I drive the 633 often even in the winter and never put a tender on it.

Nick
2014 C-14

I’ve had several Battery Tenders go bad...overcharge, quit charging....etc. I have had a Battery Minder Plus for 2.5 yrs, and it’s worked great. It has charger, float, and desulfate modes. Picked it up on sale for $25 at Northern Tool. I keep my ‘08 plugged in if the engine is not running.

I also have a Battery Tender go bad. To answer your question is it Ok at 13.2 volts.
13.2 is the rest voltage, where it should be, very little current will flow. It
will replace the battery leakage current and what other items draw a keep alive
current.

MOdern chargers/maintainers all have discreet circuitry with charging algorithms.
These are designed to cope with extended periods of non-running, and adjust their charge phasing accordingly.
Should be plug-in and forget!
I bought an optimate3 for my Aprilia (bikes with known heavy parasitic draw and BIG pistons to crank) and it maintained a standard lead-acid sealed Yuasa battery for 10 years without a single failure. I too, simply replaced the battery at the 10 year mark out of sheer prudence rather than necessity.
I have a newer more advanced Optimate on the C14 now, with the original (2014) battery.
I intend to replace it eventually, but it's not faltered yet - and so it soldiers on!

gr

I've used a lot of tenders. Bikes, mowers, boats, parents cars that sit all winter.
Most time they work perfectly. Some times they have "boiled" the batteries dry.
My understanding is 12.6 volts is the resting voltage. 13.2 sounds too high for a "continuous" state.

It's possible your tender could be defective / overcharging.

Chargers marketed as "battery tender" are designed to remain connected for extended periods. They should go into float state once the battery has reached full capacity to avoid overcharging. I feel that motorcycle [and other small] batteries tend to go end of life faster than some automotive batteries.

nickrides,

I have left my "other" bike on a tender for a year with good results. I use a gell battery and they like to be on a tender when not in use. FWIW.