• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

And they wonder why some are called $tealerships...

Jonesin

Dealership #1, in Edmonton AB:

aOInNV4.png

Dealership #2 in Ottawa ON:

3c2nKYG.png

First one ghosted me after I gave them the correct part number for the second time. I even went so far as to point out it was the far less expensive one.
Second one quoted me exactly what I asked them for. Who do you think will be getting my business and shout out?

So a dealer quotes you the correct price for the FOB, mistakingly believing that is what you want, and you complain about their price? Sorry, this is simply a miscommunication. If you look at other sites like Partzilla, they also call the FOB, a FOB key. As for ghosting you, they probably didn't respond because you said you would get the part elsewhere since the bike was in Ottawa, and therefor not available for programming.

So a dealer quotes you the correct price for the FOB, mistakingly believing that is what you want, and you complain about their price? Sorry, this is simply a miscommunication. If you look at other sites like Partzilla, they also call the FOB, a FOB key. As for ghosting you, they probably didn't respond because you said you would get the part elsewhere since the bike was in Ottawa, and therefor not available for programming.

I asked for the specific part number, clarified which FOB I was looking for, stated that it was by far the less expensive one, verified the part number I had originally asked for, then they didn't answer after that.

As for saying I'd get it elsewhere, I said "If the bike is required then I'll get (the programming) done elsewhere".

It is no miscommunication, it is failing to read a part number, then quoting something else entirely.

No, in your follow-up email, you asked how much they charge for the FOB and programming. That is what they quoted you. Regardless, they quoted you the price for an actual FOB, not the smaller passive FOB key. If they did that erroneously, it still doesn't qualify as "Steelership." They quoted you a fair price for the FOB and programming. Failing to read the correct part number, of that is what they did, is not the definition of a steelership.

No, in your follow-up email, you asked how much they charge for the FOB and programming. That is what they quoted you. Regardless, they quoted you the price for an actual FOB, not the smaller passive FOB key. If they did that erroneously, it still doesn't qualify as "Steelership." They quoted you a fair price for the FOB and programming. Failing to read the correct part number, of that is what they did, is not the definition of a steelership.

So, which $tealership do you work for?

$314 is a ridiculous price to pay for the small passive fob w/programming. I believe that Partzilla was abt $35 for that and a competent mechanic should be able to program that in a half hour.

There is another option, and that is if you have your original small passive fob you can go to a locksmith that is familiar with programming automotive keys and have the passive FOB cloned. I had one done for abt $25.00 They should also be able to do that from your larger fob if they know what they are doing.

Don't be intimidated by knuckle heads-lol.

$314 is a ridiculous price to pay for the small passive fob w/programming. I believe that Partzilla was abt $35 for that and a competent mechanic should be able to program that in a half hour.

There is another option, and that is if you have your original small passive fob you can go to a locksmith that is familiar with programming automotive keys and have the passive FOB cloned. I had one done for abt $25.00 They should also be able to do that from your larger fob if they know what they are doing.

Firstly, I appreciate the actual advice. I just bought this bike, and it only came with the original FOB, no spare. I was just letting others (especially Canadians) know the crap some places try to pull. We have far less choice than the Yanks have to choose from. For example, my Triumph, I realistically have 2 dealers in the province that deal with new bike sales. And the closest of those is 5 hours south of where I live.

Secondly, I'm far from new to forums, and there are trolls everywhere. I've broad shoulders. :ROFLMAO:

Firstly, I appreciate the actual advice. I just bought this bike, and it only came with the original FOB, no spare. I was just letting others (especially Canadians) know the crap some places try to pull. We have far less choice than the Yanks have to choose from. For example, my Triumph, I realistically have 2 dealers in the province that deal with new bike sales. And the closest of those is 5 hours south of where I live.

Secondly, I'm far from new to forums, and there are trolls everywhere. I've broad shoulders. :ROFLMAO:
I’m no puck stop

I agree that $314 is a ridiculous amount to pay for the small passive FOB. If that is what they quoted then I agree. I do not think that is what they quoted though, it sounds like they quoted, mistakenly, the price of the regular active FOB.

Good advice on the cloning.

As others have stated, clearly the dealership is quoting the price for the large fob and not the small passive fob...

The OP has a 2008 c-14 which did NOT come from the factory with a small passive fob. That MY came with two full sized fobs. The full sized fob contains both the passive function of the small fob as well as the active functionality.

As others have stated, clearly the dealership is quoting the price for the large fob and not the small passive fob...

The OP has a 2008 c-14 which did NOT come from the factory with a small passive fob. That MY came with two full sized fobs. The full sized fob contains both the passive function of the small fob as well as the active functionality.
Le sigh. Evidently there are a number of folks on this forum who choose to read part of the info provided.

I acknowledged to the first dealer that it was the Spare FOB I was looking for. Provided to them the part number and the fact it was the far less expensive option of the two.
They chose to ignore all that much like your three are.

My point was that one dealer was a hassle, replied with the wrong part pricing, then ignored me when I corrected them and never did respond with the part price I had asked for.

The second dealer provided me immediately with exactly the info I asked for.

The second dealer is the one that got my business and will continue to.

Reading anything else into this is a case of folks failing to read, failing to comprehend, or being deliberately obtuse.

Now can those who this is CLEARLY too complex for, please return to your regularly scheduled programming?

Last edited:
Le sigh. Evidently there are a number of folks on this forum who choose to read part of the info provided.

I acknowledged to the first dealer that it was the Spare FOB I was looking for. Provided to them the part number and the fact it was the far less expensive option of the two.
They chose to ignore all that much like your three are.

My point was that one dealer was a hassle, replied with the wrong part pricing, then ignored me when I corrected them and never did respond with the part price I had asked for.

The second dealer provided me immediately with exactly the info I asked for.

The second dealer is the one that got my business and will continue to.

Reading anything else into this is a case of folks failing to read, failing to comprehend, or being deliberately obtuse.

Now can those who this is CLEARLY too complex for, please return to your regularly scheduled programming?

Deliberately obtuse? Damn man, you sound like my wife!

I picked up on what you were saying the first time I read your post, thank you.

My point is, why are you making such a big deal out of what CLEARLY is a mistake in communication? So what!

Buy your fob where ever you want but it's not a good idea coming on here with your first issue and then your attitude. You want help here? Lose that attitude.

YMMV

Bottom line folks: In business, the customer is always right.

Even if someone is new here, posting the background info wasn't an attempt to offend anyone in particular. And yes, it's possible the first dealership misinterpreted the info provided, despite the explicit inquiry. Nevertheless, the second dealership proved that it's possible to fulfill a clear request and earn future business.

Therefore, setting egos aside, for the benefit of our members, it's good to know which dealership can provide honest and accurate information and service. Ain't that what we're after? Learning from each other?

And once again: The customer is ALWAYS right!

Carry on!

Deliberately obtuse? Damn man, you sound like my wife!

I picked up on what you were saying the first time I read your post, thank you.

My point is, why are you making such a big deal out of what CLEARLY is a mistake in communication? So what!

Buy your fob where ever you want but it's not a good idea coming on here with your first issue and then your attitude. You want help here? Lose that attitude.

YMMV

You appear to have been a forum member for a little while. I'll go with the assumption that you know there are different types of threads.

Some are meant to ask for advice, or to ask for physical help. Others are for entertainment, yet others still are DIY threads. This one was simply to pass on information. Take it howsoever you wish.

If you do business with the first dealer mentioned, and Jordan above was simply spaced out that day, so be it. Doesn't mean that I will do business with them in the future, as I expect some degree of customer service. Especially when first approached by a new potential customer with a specific question. Maybe that makes me a 'Karen', maybe I merely believe in capitalism, and vote with my wallet. Regardless, I was letting others here this may affect (specifically other Canadians as I mentioned above) and demonstrating the difference to an initial request from 2 of our few dealerships.

My 'Big Deal' was more with the immediate replies form other forum members such as:

Just very recently joined and already obnoxious... IGNORED!

I’m no puck stop

Talk about an overreaction!

I've been around forums for quite some time. I'm not here trying to be an ass in any way. Yet the first post I make gets nothing but grief (with the sole exception of Fred_wa2gzw who appeared to agree with my sentiment of the 'Knuckleheads'.

So: Hello, how do you do? read or don't. Thanks for coming out either way.

TL;DR:

I'm new here, I made a post to inform people of my particular experience and how I made a decision as to which dealers I will spend my money at. Some people evidently were offended. New guy will defend his wording, but at the end of the day, does not particularly care.

Thanks,

Ed.

Sounds frustrating Ed -- but good to see you finally got what you needed.

Just my guess here, but some of the forum drama may be the way you tee'd up this epic tale with a subject line referencing "$tealerships." Reads a bit exaggerated.

Maybe a better subject line would have been: "And they wonder why they call them dealers-where-they-don't-understand-what-you-want-and-then-get-confused-and-then-you-don't-get-your-part-and-then-you-get-all-butt-hurt-and-then-have-to-go-somewhere-else-to-get-your-part" ... That would have been more clear -- but maybe it wouldn't have fit??? :p

Bottom line folks: In business, the customer is always right.

Even if someone is new here, posting the background info wasn't an attempt to offend anyone in particular. And yes, it's possible the first dealership misinterpreted the info provided, despite the explicit inquiry. Nevertheless, the second dealership proved that it's possible to fulfill a clear request and earn future business.

Therefore, setting egos aside, for the benefit of our members, it's good to know which dealership can provide honest and accurate information and service. Ain't that what we're after? Learning from each other?

And once again: The customer is ALWAYS right!

Carry on!

Sounds frustrating Ed -- but good to see you finally got what you needed.

Just my guess here, but some of the forum drama may be the way you tee'd up this epic tale with a subject line referencing "$tealerships." Reads a bit exaggerated.

Maybe a better subject line would have been: "And they wonder why they call them dealers-where-they-don't-understand-what-you-want-and-then-get-confused-and-then-you-don't-get-your-part-and-then-you-get-all-butt-hurt-and-then-have-to-go-somewhere-else-to-get-your-part" ... That would have been more clear -- but maybe it wouldn't have fit??? :p
ROFL.

I can appreciate that I am far from the ingenue here. (Not least because I'm male), I honestly found folks prickly as my initial impression.

Has $tealership become some taboo word? Or is that merely this forum?

I can say for certain that in BMW, Triumph, Yamaha, Infiniti, Jeep, and hell, Photocopier forums it is a completely common term in situations like this.

Either way, a sincere appreciation for the laugh! Let us all move forward!

You appear to have been a forum member for a little while. I'll go with the assumption that you know there are different types of threads.

I'm new here, I made a post to inform people of my particular experience and how I made a decision as to which dealers I will spend my money at. Some people evidently were offended. New guy will defend his wording, but at the end of the day, does not particularly care.

Thanks,

Ed.

I understand your frustration, and I am sorry I added to that. I did take issue to your approach though, because I helped run a dealership for three years. I am no longer in the business, but still have many friends in the business.

Their first response to you simply asked if you had the existing FOB. In your response to that, you did state you needed the cheaper key fob, but then you asked how much for the FOB and programming. A parts guy hearing that, or reading that, thinks you mean the main active FOB. They then quoted you the price for the actual FOB, not the key FOB. They made a mistake, they did not try to cheat you, that is why I took issue with the stealership name calling. That's all. Whether or not I would ever do business with them is another issue. I might call them to clarify their response though. Many parts guys read what part you want, and look it up, disregarding what the customer has stated in their request, and they are wrong to do that. They did not try to rip you off though.

Now, if the dealer doesn't give you good support, then I agree, don't patronize them. But please do not make claims of someone trying to rip you off when they really didn't. It was a miscommunication. Remember, these people actually need business in order to feed their families, pay their bills, etc., and we need them to supply us with parts for our machines. Calling them stealerships may cause others to not do business with them, and if unfounded, as in this case, it simply isn't right. As a result, they may go out of business, or lose enough that they have to scale down their operation, and we lose a resource. Now, of someone chooses to not do business with them because of bad communication, or rather listening/reading comprehension skills on their part, then so be it, that is on their employee, and it is deserved.

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, but I thought it needed to be said. It isn't personal against you.

Enjoy this forum, it is made up of some incredibly great people with a wealth of knowledge about the Concours. I have had mine since 2010, buying my 2009 as a leftover. I love it, but am still learning from others here.

Phil

Thank you Phil.

I've been in the service industry for several decades. Here in Canada dealers are far fewer and further apart than in the US. This makes it way too easy for people to support poor service, and personally, I try to vote with my wallet. This entire thread was intended more to show how painless it was to deal with Ottawa Goodtime Centre, than to highlight the other dealer negatively.

Have yourself a phenomenal weekend, and take some life off your tires!

Ed

ROFL.

I can appreciate that I am far from the ingenue here. (Not least because I'm male), I honestly found folks prickly as my initial impression.

Has $tealership become some taboo word? Or is that merely this forum?

I can say for certain that in BMW, Triumph, Yamaha, Infiniti, Jeep, and hell, Photocopier forums it is a completely common term in situations like this.

Either way, a sincere appreciation for the laugh! Let us all move forward!
I always call them stealerships . Even if somehow they manage to to do something right I still feel robbed...lol .

Heck, call 'em crack houses for 2 wheel enthusiasts. As long as you found one to satisfy your needs it's all good.

All the MC dealerships in my county have gone out of business, including in the last 10 years a new Ducati dealership; Harley-Davidson; and the combo Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki. I bought my old C10 from a former/retired owner of the Kawasaki dealership who had had it since a customer bought it new, wrecked it and then traded it in.

Closest dealership is now in Hollister and their service department is tragic. I took in a Honda turbo thrill craft for a gas tank recall and it took them more than 18 months and three visits to get the job done and get the motor running even close to right. Spoiled at least one family trip to Lake Tahoe (towing a ski we expected to run) and another year of no use. It never did run properly again and I sold it at a steep discount.

If I had to do it over again, I would have ignored the recall and took my chances with the gas tank. And guess where I'm not EVER going to go to buy anything?

Another take.....

The customer asked for the price on a specific part number. The parts guy should have given him said price, and then asked if the customer was sure he didn’t need the other part. After the first go-round, the parts guy should never have ghosted the customer. If pg didn’t want to pursue the sale, he could have put it off on Mama Kaw and said he couldn’t get a passive fob, but then we all know better.

I’ve run parts depts in a Kaw dealership, Monkey Wards, and an O’Reilly store. Most counter help these days just can’t be bothered to provide service. The are just order-takers.

Thank you Phil.

I've been in the service industry for several decades. Here in Canada dealers are far fewer and further apart than in the US. This makes it way too easy for people to support poor service, and personally, I try to vote with my wallet. This entire thread was intended more to show how painless it was to deal with Ottawa Goodtime Centre, than to highlight the other dealer negatively.

Have yourself a phenomenal weekend, and take some life off your tires!

Ed

Always vote with you wallet. Glad you found a good dealer to patronize. A good dealer is worth their weight in gold.

Cheers,
Phil