• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Angel GT A Spec cold weather performance

chrisd61

Staff member
Good 2019 season to all...

After years of Pilot Road 4 sets, I am going this year for Angel GT A Spec for a change.

My question: anyone have cold weather rating info for those tires? Try as I might, I did not find what the minimum temperature rating for those are.

I have ridden the Michelins down to -5c without any issues, but I wonder what the Pirellis will handle.

We get a lot of colder mornings in early spring nowadays, so I wonder how the tire behaves...

Comments and real world experience appreciated.

Never noticed my GT Angel A Specs having issues in colder weather.  The coldest I have driven is about 0 C. Mind you at that temp I tend to be driving relatively mellow.

I use the Angel GT A spec here in FL.

I pretty much ride year round and here in the Northern part it can get below freezing overnight many times.

I think I've been as low as about 25F in the morning without any issues.

I did a spirited ride in the mountains of NC last fall, where I hit 22degf.

I was probably riding a bit over 60-65% pace, and slid the front end just enough to let me know I was going too fast for the road surface conditions.

Needless to say, I slowed down for the rest of the ride.

Lesson learnt.

I'd say, above freezing, depending on how long the roads have been cold, should be adequate traction on the Angel GT.  Of course, this also depends on the age of your tires, and how many heat cycles you've put them through as well.

I REALLY do love me some Angels though!  :great:

gr

I'm in central IL and I had the non A Spec Angel GTs mounted and rode in 25*F weather and got caught in snow twice.  Also hit rain a couple times in 32-42*F weather and there wasn't even much tread left.  I can say with resounding satisfaction that the cold weather performance of the Angel GTs is comfortingly safe.  I couldn't have been happier and was confident in my traction.  Just mounting up brand new A Spec angel GTs now.  I haven't had a recent set of PIlot Roads to compare but I was extremely happy with the Angel GTs so I decided to stick with em.