• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another Avon Storm 3DXM delaminates.

dcreiner

I know this isn't anything new to everybody that has researched tires, but I just joined the group of people that have had an Avon 3DXM delaminate.  My bike developed a very noticeable wobble. First it was just while accelerating turning a corner from a stop. Eventually, it did it while driving straight.  The rear tire was squared off but still had some tread on it.  The front was cupped and in need of replacement.  A new front tire did not correct the wobble, so I dug a little deeper.  With the bike on the center stand, the rear tire had about 3/8 of an inch of axial run out. The pictures are what the inside of the tire looked like when I pulled it off.  A short 20 mile ride today indicated all is fixed with a new Avon AM26 Road Rider on the back.  The Avon 3DXMs that came off did have 7200 miles on them for what that's worth.

Attachments

• Avon Storm 3D 1a.jpg
    Avon Storm 3D 1a.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Avon Storm 3D 2a.jpg
    Avon Storm 3D 2a.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 132
You will be amazed at how well the AM-26's will handle. I rode on them for several years on my
C-10 before doing the 17" conversion.

Jim, reading one of your earlier posts about the AM26s is what convinced me to try them.  Thanks again to everybody here that posts and shares information.  It's actually pretty incredible what I have learned over the years with a little time spent on the forum. :)

I've had two Azaros come apart on me, and possibly a third (the first), but nothing showed on it; just developed a weird wobble. That turned out to be an issue with the front AND rear. The last two rears split down in-between a sipe. The latter left me stranded up in Scranton.

I really liked the tires, but I hesitate to put anything on the bike again with the Avon name attached to it.

connieklr said:
I've had two Azaros come apart on me, and possibly a third (the first), but nothing showed on it; just developed a weird wobble. That turned out to be an issue with the front AND rear. The last two rears split down in-between a sipe. The latter left me stranded up in Scranton.

I really liked the tires, but I hesitate to put anything on the bike again with the Avon name attached to it.

I had the same issue with the Avon radials. But I ran Avon bias ply tires (AM-26's) for several years with no issues, and they handled great.

I replaced the last rear Avon that failed with a Dunlop D404...... leaving the Avon Storm 2 on the front. That was 5500, or so, miles ago. Yeah I know, bias and radial combo. Have done it before, and since all my stoopid riding is over with, I wasn't worried.

The Storm 2 was making me nervous so I replaced it with a 130/70 Shinko 773 last week. Probably have a little over 300 miles on it now. So far so good, and I'm a relaxed, happy camper now.

The Storm 2 still had some life in it, but just wasn't worth the risk. Have a brand new one in the wings, but the both of them will hit the County's Tire Amnesty Day next w/e.

My C-1400 has developed a wobble.

Never did this before I installed the Avon Storm 3DXM's.
As it happens a Buddie's (who also installed the Storm's) also developed a wobble.

We initially thought the problem was caused by rubber (or cupping) on the tires from the COG track day.

After reading this, I wonder if this problem is also occurring on the 17" (C-14) tires?

Ride safe, Ted

Rideezdale said:
Jim, keep us updated on the new Avon, I've been considering those myself.

Will do. I really hope they do well. I turned down a great offer on the Metzler Z8's ($170 for the pair) for the new Avon ST's
($245 for the pair). These are going on my FJR.

connie_rider said:

As it happens a Buddie's (who also installed the Storm's) also developed a wobble.

We initially thought the problem was caused by rubber (or cupping) on the tires from the COG track day.

After reading this, I wonder if this problem is also occurring on the 17" (C-14) tires?

Ride safe, Ted

Little more on this.
On my bike, I have a head shake I can feel at low speeds and can see if I remove my hands from the bars.
Is this the wobble your talking about?

Ride safe, Ted

Jim Snyder said:
I hope you guys haven't jinxed me, I just bought a set of the new Avon Spirit ST's.

I purchased a set and installed them on my '95 project Connie.  Unfortunately it still isn't running so I don't know how they perform (yet).  They sure do look nice on the bike, however.

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

My first Avon issues developed a wobble. When slowing, felt like riding a bike whose wheels had loose spokes. This turned out to be an issue in both the front AND the rear. I found one set of D205s at the time and ran them until they were gone. Since the D205s were no longer available, decided to try another set of the Avons, hoping they'd corrected the issue. They did, but then this problem:

2013%20Fall%20Foliage%20Rally%20043a-L.jpg

This was the second one, the one that left me high and dry coming back from the '13 Fall Foliage Rally. The first one had a similar issue, but I just happened to notice it when looking over the bike to go to the rally.

Like I've said, no more Avons on any of my bikes.

Ride safe, Ted

Little more on this.
On my bike, I have a head shake I can feel at low speeds and can see if I remove my hands from the bars.

Ride safe, Ted

No, the wobble I felt was not like the head shake you are describing. It was more like the whole bike. Check your tire run out if you can.  With the tire off the ground, I just put the end of a metal bar supported by two jack stands up against the side of the tire and turned the wheel slowly.  The tire hit in some spots and was 3/8 of an inch away in others. It was kind of crude, but told me something was wrong with the tire, since the rim itself ran true against the end of the bar.  You can do the same on the front wheel, but it is a little harder than the rear. I am not saying that head shake can't be caused by a faulty tire, just that's not the wobble I felt.

connie_rider said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Little more on this.

Ride safe, Ted

Another update; I contacted Avon, who then had me work thru my supplier "Riders Domain".
They had me send in the tires for them to appraise for possible replacement.
After about 3 weeks, the new tires arrived today.  :great:
    {NOTE: For the replacement, I opted for the Spirits over the 3D-XM's}

Avon did me right, so "mucho thanks" to them.
  NOTE: They never actually said if there was a problem with tire delamination or not.
                Just ok'd that Riders Domain send me replacements after they reviewed my tires.
                    Really wish I knew what they found out..

Can't say enough about how Riders Domain kept me apprised of what was happening on their end.
  I recommend them if your ordering tires.
  Good folks! Good prices. Prompt delivery..

Ride safe, Ted

Rideezdale said:
Jim, keep us updated on the new Avon, I've been considering those myself.

Ok installed the new Avon Spirit ST's before going to the national in Kerrville. So far I like them. Very smooth ride and they handle great in the corners. Will really get to test them when we make our fall pilgrimage to Arkansas. Push Mountain road is the best road for tire testing in my opinion.

Didn't see this topic before ...

I've been favoring the Avon Storms for a decade; first in FJR and now the C-14.  Found that on the C-14 I preferred the handling with the tires pumped up hard, ~ 2 psi over sidewall maximum of 42.  So 44 front, 42+ rear.  These pressures till allow me to get close to ending the rear chicken strip on C-14 with no slippery feeling.

Since I've been using this brand model tire for a long time with good reliable service, I've got to ask: what tire pressure was the original poster running during tire life leading up to the delamination?  In my guess, that pressure information is more important than the tire used mileage in judging its reliability of the brand. 

In my case we were right at the weight capacity (440 lbs) when the 3DXM started bulging. Probably with less weight the tire would give satisfactory service.

So, how do you sort out the weight vs. the weigh ratings?  Add up the total weight of the bike, rider, and gear and then divide by 2?  Assign 60% to the rear and 40% to the front?

Brand new set developed bad front wheel wobble in first 100 miles
checked everything. bearings, head bearing, etc etc. all OK
Took to dealer. All ok.
Tire split inside.
Taking off bike now.
putting on new Michelin Road Pilot 4 instead of avon on front.
will send pics
see how my refund goes.
prob S.O.L.
might as well bite the bullet for the rear too
Its brand new too, but
$200 wont matter when I'm in the ditch

Just put the storms on  Love Love this tire  running it and P4s in the past    I will keep an extra eye out for anything unusual

I used to be one of the biggest supporters of Avons. Ran a number of sets on my C10, never had an issue. Got good mileage out of them, and they were so responsive.
Fast forward to my C14. It had almost new PR4 GTs when I bought it. When they wore out, I replaced them with 3D X-M. I loved how they handled.
A few thousand miles later, very little wear, I started gettign a vibration at speed, and a wobble at low speeds. Could not figure out what it was.
I put it on the center stand, hung weights off the rear to lift the front tire and when I spun it, it had two high spots on each side... like the tire was not mounted straight, but it was. Basically, it had four lumps on the tread area.
I replaced it with a Pirelli. Handles just as well.
Sorry to SISF that I didn't really believe him.