• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another flat air matress

Uncle Vern

Camped at a stae park recently. Took along my new tent, my 50-degree bag, an old air matress and my trusty 12v air pump.

Matress left me flat on a packed-sand tent site. I have slept worse, but after 6 decades of camping would prefer something softer.

I have a self-inflating Coleman pad, but it is too bulky for bike travel. Options at the local Bass Pro seem limited -- too small and pretty pricey...

...ideas???

Stasch

I had 2 inflatable single mattresses from Walmart but they both ended up leaking at the valve.

Hate waking up a few times in the middle of the night on the hard ground, having to pump the mattress back up.

I now use a Coleman single and it has done well. They are a bit heavy and bulky, plus you have to carry the pump but its worth it to me.

Daboo

Staff member
I picked up a KLYMIT Static V Sleeping Pad at Costco a couple years ago. https://klymit.com/products/static-v-camping-sleeping-pad?variant=31735711105114 You can buy it at a number of places.

It's surprisingly comfortable. Well made. Takes little effort to fill and doesn't require an additional pump to fill it. I just sit down and breathe in with my nose and out with my mouth into the pad. In a couple minutes, it is full.

For motorcycle camping, it packs up small and lightweight. The little bag to the left is the size when packed.

1619896633008.png

Chris

Uncle Vern

Thanks, Daboo!

I was able to quickly find this item on ebay and ordered one for about $42. According to the 'puter, it should be here before my next trip. I get older in a couple weeks and plan to visit Landsford Canal State Park and see the rocky shoal spider lilies in bloom. Hope to check off another couple nearby state parks that same weekend. See my state park thread for more on this ongoing adventure.

ron203

Southeast Area Director
I did something similar. I’ve got several Thermorest brand self inflating mattresses from my backpacking days but they’re too thin anymore for the ground. I bought a cot similar to the one above and throw a thermorest on it for insulation or I get cold from the bottom on cool nights .

C 14

Scooter
Forum Subscriber
I picked up a KLYMIT Static V Sleeping Pad at Costco a couple years ago. https://klymit.com/products/static-v-camping-sleeping-pad?variant=31735711105114 You can buy it at a number of places.

It's surprisingly comfortable. Well made. Takes little effort to fill and doesn't require an additional pump to fill it. I just sit down and breathe in with my nose and out with my mouth into the pad. In a couple minutes, it is full.

For motorcycle camping, it packs up small and lightweight. The little bag to the left is the size when packed.

View attachment 29147

Chris

I will second this. I have been using this pad since 2017. It has seen a lot of use, and still works perfectly. I am planning on getting one of their insulated models as well. This one takes up very little space. I used it on a bicycle tour across Indiana and Ohio, and it took up very little space.

kzz1king

I will second this. I have been using this pad since 2017. It has seen a lot of use, and still works perfectly. I am planning on getting one of their insulated models as well. This one takes up very little space. I used it on a bicycle tour across Indiana and Ohio, and it took up very little space.
I will third it! Been using one for 4 years but I only use it 5 or so nights per year. Compact and comfortable.

Uncle Vern

Hey Nick:

You want what you want; no shame needed. I'm not tough; I just prefer a campfire to a tv. I've been camping my entire life and look forward to sleeping outdoors. I fear bedbugs more than bears and have had some awful nights trying to sleep in hotels. Most campgrounds have hot showers (If not I pack my bag shower and my backpacker stove for heating water) and clean clothes are no problem with Miss Traveller's luggage capacity.

I must admit that packable cot is tempting. I just bought a "backpacker" chair that I like. I sleep on a sturdy steel cot when I camp with my Civil War reenacting unit, but it's often cold and I have a truck to tote stuff, plus a big "A" tent.

I doubt that I can convert you non-camping types; I know many of you equate "roughing it" with "no room service." But consider coming over to the dark side (not the tire thing) or at least sitting by the campfire for a while. If you're lucky there might be s'mores!

If I can get my SC license squared away this summer, I'll see all you former Boy and Girl Scouts at Run With the Wolf in N. Georgia in September! If not, I'll likely be camping at yet another of the Palmetto State's awesome state parks!

Vern

Jpd11958

Both the wife and I enjoy camping, but on the bike not so much. We ride two up and there is just not enough room to pack 2 of everything. Plus the bags MUST be able to be zipped together.(wife's requirement) That mean a double wide pad or air mattress. Camping would put me in the hunt for a trailer and a hitch, or two. We own 2 c-10's.

If you do want to use an air mattress I recommend the Colman brand. They make stuff for camping not for use as an extra bed in the living room.

connie_rider

I'm not a camper, but I found something that helps make your pack up smaller.
(I used these for a 3 week ride in the Alps and it really conserves space).
ie; I found space saver bags that don't require a vacuum to compress them.
You just roll/squeeze the air out.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: When I did camp, I occasionally developed a leak in the air mattress.
So, just before the trip, I bought my mattress from Walmart.
{I then flattened the box, w/receipt, and put it under my pack up}.
When/if I developed a leak, I headed to any Walmart for an exchange. :p

Last edited:

kzz1king

You guys that camp off your bikes are TOUGH
After a days riding I want a Hot Shower, change of clothes and a remote and a real bed.
I guess I'm a wuss at heart.
Nick
2014 C-14
I carry a tent and a bag just in case. If I cant get a room I can usually find a place to set the tent. I find I could ride longer if I dont have to set up and break down camp.

cuda

I was ruined as a child...

Boy scout camping 2 in tent on cots Mom stuck a 40 pack of mini Reese cups in gear bag I wanted to make a plaster cast of foot prints so I made a muddy area put a Reese cup in center near tent... I woke up with a pack of Racoons tearing apart my sack bumping me up and the sound of them fighting... I was petrified. ruined for life I've always had a van, safe and sound.(y)

connie_rider

While looking at Strawboss Cot (I like it), I came across this. (Similar to what Daboo posted)

Cuda; your story reminded me of a camping ride;
ie; We put some French fries under my Cousins tent.
He woke in the middle of the night with skunks trying to get to the fries.
He was slapping at the tent and yelling. {didn't know it was skunks}
I was in the next tent over, laughing so hard I almost wet myself. <evil grin>
Finally, I told him what he was slapping at. Sed to be verrrrrry still and leave them alone.
{Shhhhh; We never told him about the French Fries} :ROFLMAO:

Ride safe, Ted

Tim R

Staff member
A Deputy Friend of mine who's county will remain un named.....rescued a baby skunk from his dogs. It soon became a house pet. The bad thing was the deputy thought it was great fun to tease the skunk until it stomped it's front feet. for those who may not know stomping the front feet is a sign something is about to happen. Fortunately the skunk was too young to have developed scent glandes. The Deputy tied to get the skunk de-skunked but in WA State it is illegal to own a wild animal without a permit. And it is illegal to de-skunk a skunk. Thurmond, the skunk's name, was given to a petting zoo since he had already be around human's. Probably a very smart thing to do. We, as in co workers and other L/E friends were taking bets when the deputy would get Thurmond to do his thing in the house. I shot a skunk in my grandparents chicken coop. 20 years later you could still smell skunk in that chicken coop. But by then it wasn't as strong as it had been in previous years. I could not imagine how much fun it would have been if Thurmond had done his thing in the house.

Last edited: