• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another Shoei Neotec 2 Review

Nybiomed

Ok, I pulled the trigger on an Excursion Hi-Viz model like the one here at ZLA:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-2-excursion-helmet

I was able to get it for $599 shipped from EBay and probably made a few Ebucks towards another EBay purchase down the road. I wasn’t about to drop $800 on a lid, but the EBay deal worked for me, tho I admit I hated spending another c-note for the Hi-Viz model. I rode about 30 mixed miles today, it fits my long oval melon ok- I’m in between sizes (M/L) and went with the large and I feel I might have to plop down another $50 bones on bigger cheakpads, which kinda really blows for something that costs Shoei almost nothing...ok, maybe a buck. But fit/finish as expected is a superb 9/10 -a 1/2 lb lighter would make it a 10, Optics/sun visor are the best I’ve seen 10/10, but noise I would say is about a 5/10, not as quiet as I hoped. The Sena integrated BT is getting awful reviews, I might just transfer my Sena SMH-10R over till I find a highly regarded mesh network BT system that’ll I surgically graft into the lid...I’m not a fan of proprietary systems, Shoei should open up the market to Cardo and others. I’m fine with the ratchet system, but it is a little back towards my throat, I think I can live with it, as long as I don’t overtighten it.

Final review is an 8/10

I’ll mod the review as I get more hours logged.

PS. At $599 (my cost) I give it an 8/10 for VALUE, at $699 7/10, at full MSRP of $799 I give it a 6/10.

Just for reference, My other helmets are a Lazer FULL carbon Monaco and the Kabuto that was kinda a popular deal here about 18 months ago and a Full-face AGV- these were discounted to about $250 lids- MSRP about $400-500. I have yet to even try on a Shuberth or an Arai, but have also owned HJC's, GMAX, Bell and a couple other "value" helmets... BTW, fog-free Pinlock is included in the box.

Reputable sellers on EBay sell the Excursion Neo2 for $699, then I waited till EBay had a 15% off everything up to a max $100 off, then free shipping. Lid arrived in 3 days, perfectly new. I don’t recall whether they’re an authorized Shoei dealer...prob don’t really care either. I never thought I’d be dropping even 6 bills on a lid, but I’ve always wanted to try a top of the line helmet. I just finished 2600 miles through Nova Scotia and NH Fall rally, the Kabuto lid I’ve been running was not as comfortable as I had hoped during that trip- again, my long oval melon shape. Something needed to change.

I have had my eye on this helmet, looking forward to hearing more. :great:

I'm curious to know how that Lazer Monaco fit your Long Oval head?
i bought one of those too, but it was VERY uncomfortable on my long oval head, and it went back.  Such a cool lid though!

I bought a Shoei GT air because I so loved my X11 that finally got retired.
The GT Air had several issues with what I consider "quality" issue on componentry - broken front vent, and now broken lid ratchet mechanism.  The vent got fixed under warranty, but i had to ship the helmet to Shoei, and it wasn't cheap.

I never had ANY Build quality issues with my X11 (2004 model) in 10 years of ownership.

The Optics and Visor system to me, on the Shoei are superior to Arai.  Still not a huge fan of the drop down visor system, but that's just an opinion.  it WORKS well. No issues.

I recently bough an Arai Signet, and I positively HATE HATE HATE the visor attachment system.  It's so NOT intuitive, and I broke it on my first attempt.  The helmet fit and finish is excellent, but the shields are extremely sub-par and expensive.
SHoei is way better in this regard.

I guess my point is.....good and bad points with both Shoei and Arai -- it comes down to preferences.
But for what we're paying, I expect perfection.  Literally.

I don't see helmets really getting better, and they really should be taking qauntum leaps in technology and safety as tech advances, and prices go up.

gr

Anyway -- thanks for the review.

^^^
YES, the Lazer Monaco did fit a bit better with a 2mm shave of the foam in the forehead, and fit my wife better than me... and yeah, such a cool lid we decided to keep it because it was also so discounted- the Transition lens in that helmet is freaking awesome!

NYbiomed said:
Reputable sellers on EBay sell the Excursion Neo2 for $699, then I waited till EBay had a 15% off everything up to a max $100 off, then free shipping. Lid arrived in 3 days, perfectly new. I don’t recall whether they’re an authorized Shoei dealer...prob don’t really care either. I never thought I’d be dropping even 6 bills on a lid, but I’ve always wanted to try a top of the line helmet. I just finished 2600 miles through Nova Scotia and NH Fall rally, the Kabuto lid I’ve been running was not as comfortable as I had hoped during that trip- again, my long oval melon shape. Something needed to change.

Thank you, I have the first version of the neo tech and all the reviews I read before purchase said how quiet it is , well it isn’t quiet to me but I havent used a full face helmet in years before I purchase the neo tec2 ,I am trying to decide if I want to sink another $800 into a helmet just to find out it isn’t quiet either, my neotech was new in February!

^^^yeah, i understand the pain, at full MSRP I probably would NOT have bought the Excursion Neo2, but at $600 I feel it was just about worth it. Of course you can get the NON-Excursion variant using the same method of waiting around for the 15% off Ebay coupon to appear (about once a month) for about $500+FREE shipping, but it ships from Japan...so you need to know it's gonna fit and you have to wonder if Shoei USA will warranty a helmet from Japan if a problem does develop....?

EXAMPLE:

https://www.ebay.com/p/SHOEI-Neotec-2-Large-59cm-Matt-Blue-L-Genuine-Helmet-From-Japan/24019931572?iid=253670901125&var=552915262968&rt=nc&opts=opick

Anthracite:

https://www.ebay.com/p/SHOEI-Neotec-2-Large-59cm-Anthracite-letallic-L-Genuine-Helmet-From-Japan/19019940413?iid=253670901125&var=552915262976&rt=nc&opts=opick

I chose a US seller and was willing to shell out the extra $100 bones for the Hi-Viz, but I do wonder how much quieter the Schuberth is and whether it fits as well with the larger cheek pads....if Schuberth even offers them?

NYbiomed said:
^^^yeah, i understand the pain, at full MSRP I probably would NOT have bought the Excursion Neo2, but at $600 I feel it was just about worth it. Of course you can get the NON-Excursion variant using the same method of waiting around for the 15% off Ebay coupon to appear (about once a month) for about $500+FREE shipping, but it ships from Japan...so you need to know it's gonna fit and you have to wonder if Shoei USA will warranty a helmet from Japan if a problem does develop....?

EXAMPLE:

https://www.ebay.com/p/SHOEI-Neotec-2-Large-59cm-Matt-Blue-L-Genuine-Helmet-From-Japan/24019931572?iid=253670901125&var=552915262968&rt=nc&opts=opick

Anthracite:

I visited a local BMW dealer a few weeks ago and they had that helmet on display, after discussing my concerns the guy told me take it for a ride down the highway, I told him I didn’t have my bike with me, he then told me to buy it and if I don’t like it bring it back with in ten days for a refund, but I doubt he would cut the price !

https://www.ebay.com/p/SHOEI-Neotec-2-Large-59cm-Anthracite-letallic-L-Genuine-Helmet-From-Japan/19019940413?iid=253670901125&var=552915262976&rt=nc&opts=opick

I chose a US seller and was willing to shell out the extra $100 bones for the Hi-Viz, but I do wonder how much quieter the Schuberth is and whether it fits as well with the larger cheek pads....if Schuberth even offers them?

NYbiomed said:
^^^
YES, the Lazer Monaco did fit a bit better with a 2mm shave of the foam in the forehead, and fit my wife better than me... and yeah, such a cool lid we decided to keep it because it was also so discounted- the Transition lens in that helmet is freaking awesome!

I should have done the same, and kept that lid!!  such cool features, and CARBON FIBRE SHELL!!  :beerchug:

gr