• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another Shoodaben Shoutout & Visor Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwantinn6038

My bike is not even broken in yet, but I kept hearing about reflashing. One of the things I noted several times was people stating that they wish they hadn't waited so long. I started thinking about it, and even though the turnaround is quick, why wait until the middle of riding season? I did my homework, and contacted Steve. We had a great conversation, and although I have a pretty decent understanding of how things work, I really appreciated him talking me through it.

I admittedly have not ridden the bike that much yet, but enough to have a feel for it in stock form. I installed the reflashed ECU on Friday afternoon, and went for a nice long ride on Saturday morning. I was hoping for SOME improvement, but I simply could not believe how much better it was to ride. Clutches out easier, shifts so much smoother, feels way more linear and just more damn fun to ride. Just wow. I loved the bike already, even more so now. I've been street riding for some 35 years now and have had way too many bikes (some would say too many now as it is), but I think this reflash may well be the best money I have ever spent on a bike. Full stop.

Lastly, I would add - I'm glad I listened to all you nice people.

Add-on Windscreen Visor - I'm 6'0" and finding I generally really like the stock screen. I get some air around town, and it's pretty close to perfect at higher speeds and full extension. Close. At 75-80 mph, I get turbulence noise only, no head shake around my helmet. I'm planning on some longer trips this summer, so wondering if there's a way to eliminate the noise and retain the stock screen. I had a MRA clip-on on my old Tiger 955i, and that seemed to work pretty well. Are any of you using visor extensions on your stock screen? Prefer something adjustable so I could retain stock height around town, plus I assume something that follows the existing curvature is important. Suggestions welcome.

Sorry for the ramble, and thank you.

Forum.jpg

Incredible the difference the flash makes huh, so glad you took the advice and did not wait to see if you desired an upgrade. I have Ivan’s Performance flash and the same impression - how could this be that Kawasaki missed the mark by this far???! And about the cost, indeed hands down the best bang for the money.

Search the site a bit - there are some that are using the mount on deflectors. I am 6’1”, 98+ % have a pillion (wife) and we were unhappy with the amount of wind and buffeting. After a lot of consideration and several thousand miles on the stock windshield I switched to a California Scientific size Large Wide wind screen. Roughly the same shape with about 2 inches taller and at its widest 4 inches wider this made a world of difference for long distance riding and no mounting hardware to look through or around.

I know you stated you wanted to stay with stock screen, just to let you know I do not regret swapping mine and the price of as around $200 - not terrible. Also incorporates the vent, which if you haven’t tried yet does have some effect on the slipstream.

We are spirited riders and although windshield is larger than stock we have over the past 25K miles no issues such as the tearing the windshield mounts off yet. Shield is rated to 150 mph, it’ll handle more - tried / tested (in lowered position that is).

Search the site a bit - there are some that are using the mount on deflectors. I am 6’1”, 98+ % have a pillion (wife) and we were unhappy with the amount of wind and buffeting. After a lot of consideration and several thousand miles on the stock windshield I switched to a California Scientific size Large Wide wind screen. Roughly the same shape with about 2 inches taller and at its widest 4 inches wider this made a world of difference for long distance riding and no mounting hardware to look through or around.

I know you stated you wanted to stay with stock screen, just to let you know I do not regret swapping mine and the price of as around $200 - not terrible. Also incorporates the vent, which if you haven’t tried yet does have some effect on the slipstream.
Thank you for the reply - I'll check it out, and good point on the hardware. I think my concern with a taller screen is the potential for around-town riding at lower speeds would put the wind in my face, which isn't the case with the stock screen. Since you're an inch taller, do you find that to be the case?

My bike is not even broken in yet, but I kept hearing about reflashing. One of the things I noted several times was people stating that they wish they hadn't waited so long. I started thinking about it, and even though the turnaround is quick, why wait until the middle of riding season? I did my homework, and contacted Steve. We had a great conversation, and although I have a pretty decent understanding of how things work, I really appreciated him talking me through it.

I admittedly have not ridden the bike that much yet, but enough to have a feel for it in stock form. I installed the reflashed ECU on Friday afternoon, and went for a nice long ride on Saturday morning. I was hoping for SOME improvement, but I simply could not believe how much better it was to ride. Clutches out easier, shifts so much smoother, feels way more linear and just more damn fun to ride. Just wow. I loved the bike already, even more so now. I've been street riding for some 35 years now and have had way too many bikes (some would say too many now as it is), but I think this reflash may well be the best money I have ever spent on a bike. Full stop.

Lastly, I would add - I'm glad I listened to all you nice people.

Add-on Windscreen Visor - I'm 6'0" and finding I generally really like the stock screen. I get some air around town, and it's pretty close to perfect at higher speeds and full extension. Close. At 75-80 mph, I get turbulence noise only, no head shake around my helmet. I'm planning on some longer trips this summer, so wondering if there's a way to eliminate the noise and retain the stock screen. I had a MRA clip-on on my old Tiger 955i, and that seemed to work pretty well. Are any of you using visor extensions on your stock screen? Prefer something adjustable so I could retain stock height around town, plus I assume something that follows the existing curvature is important. Suggestions welcome.

Sorry for the ramble, and thank you.

View attachment 29263

Super writeup! Good to hear the positive feedback yet again! I'm getting ready to ship mine off this week to Steve.

I've got the same feedback about the front screen. I'm happy with the OEM, with the exception of the noisiness around the ears at highway speeds. I'm looking for the clip-on extension but see that they run about $160? Either I'm not looking in the right place, or there's some price gouging going on. LOL

At your height you're probably ok with the stock seating position (?). What are your thoughts on the OEM saddle?

Also noticed the canyon cage and pannier/tank protectors. I'd like to get the knee pads for the tank. Where did you find those? The ones I got from CycleGear are not much more than sand paper. I'm not installing that low quality of a product on my bike, so I'm looking for the rubber stubble type that's easy on clothing but still allows for a bit better tank-grabbing with the knees.

Your bike looks hot. Enjoy! :^ ) AB

Super writeup! Good to hear the positive feedback yet again! I'm getting ready to ship mine off this week to Steve.

I've got the same feedback about the front screen. I'm happy with the OEM, with the exception of the noisiness around the ears at highway speeds. I'm looking for the clip-on extension but see that they run about $160? Either I'm not looking in the right place, or there's some price gouging going on. LOL

At your height you're probably ok with the stock seating position (?). What are your thoughts on the OEM saddle?

Also noticed the canyon cage and pannier/tank protectors. I'd like to get the knee pads for the tank. Where did you find those? The ones I got from CycleGear are not much more than sand paper. I'm not installing that low quality of a product on my bike, so I'm looking for the rubber stubble type that's easy on clothing but still allows for a bit better tank-grabbing with the knees.

Your bike looks hot. Enjoy! :^ ) AB
You won't regret it one bit. I'm still amazed at his magic. :)

These are the T-Rex bars - they seem to be in and out of them from what I have heard. I think I ordered the whole set just before Christmas (and even before the bike got here) and lucked out. The had them again after that, at least for a little while.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/N62-12EGB5Combo-p/n62-12egcombo.htm

The pads are Techspec - I originally bought the saddlebag protectors (because I don't always swing my leg high enough) and was so impressed with the quality and ease of installation I ordered the set for the tank and sides. The saddlebag protectors are there if you scroll down this page. Not cheap but they are excellent. I liked them so much I just recently installed their tank protectors on my Super Duke 1290R

https://techspec-usa.com/kawasaki-concours-14-2010-current-snake-skin-tank-grips.html

As far as the seat, remains to be seen. I spent a few hours on it yesterday and found it to be fine (so far). I have a 34" inseam and absolutely love the ergos on this bike - totally spot on, for me at least.

And thanks for the compliment. Absolutely loving this bike - was definitely the right choice.

Thank you for the reply - I'll check it out, and good point on the hardware. I think my concern with a taller screen is the potential for around-town riding at lower speeds would put the wind in my face, which isn't the case with the stock screen. Since you're an inch taller, do you find that to be the case?
Not at all an issue. Put the shield down to boogie (past xxx mph) or if you want extra wind / coolness.

Search Amazon for a motorcycle windshield extension. Lots of cheap options that should be good enough for you to see if you like that concept. I initially thought I hated the stock shield, but with a sub $30 extension that I put on in September and pull off in May I'm fine with it. The extension is just enough to keep my helmet in quiet air with the shield all the way up for those sub 40 degree morning rides to work.
As for the flash, I'm running Steve's too and have no regrets!

Status
Not open for further replies.