• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another TPMS problem.

It sounds like you may have either a weak battery in the tire sensor which usually gives a signal of low battery to the display before displaying the double dashes OR and maybe more likely, if the sensor battery was replaced, there may be a poor connection from the battery to the sensor. Many of the guys that are replacing the batteries are not use to working with electronics. These sensors are submitted to a lot of abuse due to vibration caused by bumps in the road and wheel imbalance. I think that you will need to remove the sensor and inspect it.

Toni, what year is your C14? The batteries in the early model C14, up to 2012 are not to bad to replace if you buy the battery with the tabs and have good soldering skills, I've done about 8 of them.

If you are going to pull the sensor out for inspection do yourself a favor and order a battery with tabs in the approximate position that you need. The contacts do not have to be perfectly aligned. Get some small guage (#26 stranded ) wire. If the tabs do not line up perfectly bend them into the approximate position without shorting the battery and make the connection with the 26 guage stranded wire. Under no circumstances do you want to solder to the body of the battery as the intense heat can and will shorten the battery's life and there is actually a chance that the battery can explode. Stranded wire is more flexible that solid wire and this should help with longevity due to vibrations.

By preordering a battery you can minimize the down time as it may take several days to get the proper battery. Walmart and the local dollar stores do not stock batteries with solder tabs. The gauge of the wire is not super importand because the current draw is very small, but you don't want to use to large because you want to fit the innards back into the case.

Good Luck,
Fred

My 2017 had same problem, it seemed to come pack up after hitting a bump in the road. Got it replaced under warranty. The new one did not work at all. After a month of going back and forth with Kawasaki they finally tried a new sensor works perfect now. Since it was a new style sensor not sure if it was a battery issue or some type of short in the sensor. So good luck.

I went to the Autel MX sensors. Easy peasy.
Could you direct me to more information on this? Are they just the Autel MX 1-sensor's for automobiles? Who did you need to go to to have them programed to your bike? I have a front on it's way out on my 2017 and am looking for options. I'm not sure Kawasaki is the way to go if there is something else that can be programed to work with the bike. Thanks!

Could you direct me to more information on this? Are they just the Autel MX 1-sensor's for automobiles? Who did you need to go to to have them programed to your bike? I have a front on it's way out on my 2017 and am looking for options. I'm not sure Kawasaki is the way to go if there is something else that can be programed to work with the bike. Thanks!

It's a sensor for a car. Buy the programming pad and you're in under $100. You pull the original sensor. Add 000 to the beginning of the ID on the original sensor. It begins with a F on mine. Fire up a computer with the their software installed and set it up for an early model Mazda 3. It's pretty easy.

It's a sensor for a car. Buy the programming pad and you're in under $100. You pull the original sensor. Add 000 to the beginning of the ID on the original sensor. It begins with a F on mine. Fire up a computer with the their software installed and set it up for an early model Mazda 3. It's pretty easy.
Thank you! After a couple hours of research on this yesterday I was able to find some information on it. There are also some Youtube videos done by a guy who's using a different brand of universal sensor but pretty much the same and is also programming it as a Mazda sensor of some sort. I don't have a PC at home (all Mac's) but my son has one so maybe I can load the software on his and use it. Thought about buying one of their cheaper handhelds. Either way I'm saving money. Thanks so much!

I did the above also. EZ to do only cavieat I would add is the sensor sits much higher in the rim. It is a two piece assembly. I separated them when I placed the first bead on.

BTW go ahead and join, this knowledge alone saved you more than the cost of membership.

Thanks for the input. I will most likely join as I'm finding this forum helpful. I will probably ride out the free period though. Have owned lots of bikes but have never seen a forum before that had a fee involved. I get it though so no worries. Hoping to keep this bike for a while. I also have an Africa Twin and a CT125 after spending years on a Vstrom.

Thanks for the input. I will most likely join as I'm finding this forum helpful. I will probably ride out the free period though. Have owned lots of bikes but have never seen a forum before that had a fee involved. I get it though so no worries. Hoping to keep this bike for a while. I also have an Africa Twin and a CT125 after spending years on a Vstrom.

We’d love to have you as a member. It’s a whole club and not just a forum. Great thread, btw.

I was at Temecula Motorsports in Temecula California a few days ago and got a price quote on TPMS for my 2010 Connie 1400. He said they are $63 now. I presume with the discontinuation of the C 1400 that the clearance sale has begun for Kawasaki.

Hmm, we're they the old style for a 2010? Or were they the new potted style that u can't replace the battery kind.?

I was at Temecula Motorsports in Temecula California a few days ago and got a price quote on TPMS for my 2010 Connie 1400. He said they are $63 now. I presume with the discontinuation of the C 1400 that the clearance sale has begun for Kawasaki.
I think someone there screwed up. I texted them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230807-123140.png
    Screenshot_20230807-123140.png
    215 KB · Views: 67
I think someone there screwed up. I texted them.
I am just the messenger on the sensors because he didn't print anything out from behind the counter. perhaps he was quoting the dealer cost price by mistake.

I also bought a front and rear wheel off of E Bay from Georgia. They came complete with sensors and brake rotors and appear to have been sitting outside in the elements for a long time because the rotors had some rust on them. The paint is terrible and paint stripper has been ordered to see if I can clean these wheels up. I also ordered new wheel bearings for both sets of wheels for peace of mind.

While getting new Road 5 tires I asked for a price quote for a 2010 back wheel. I was quoted $933.

I am just the messenger on the sensors because he didn't print anything out from behind the counter. perhaps he was quoting the dealer cost price by mistake.

I also bought a front and rear wheel off of E Bay from Georgia. They came complete with sensors and brake rotors and appear to have been sitting outside in the elements for a long time because the rotors had some rust on them. The paint is terrible and paint stripper has been ordered to see if I can clean these wheels up. I also ordered new wheel bearings for both sets of wheels for peace of mind.

While getting new Road 5 tires I asked for a price quote for a 2010 back wheel. I was quoted $933.
They get stupid on prices like that. It does come in handy for an insurance claim though. They want around $1500 for a final drive. eBay, $100

Hang on to those older style sensors if you have them. I'm replacing batteries in four more sets of them just this week, and I can keep them going pretty much forever.
What do you charge for battery replacement on these sensors? What battery do they take? Is it a pretty specialized service to perform?

There's a few different threads about that on the forum. Someone was even creative in that they wired in a battery cradle so that he could just pop in a new battery without having to remove tpms from rim...

What do you charge for battery replacement on these sensors? What battery do they take? Is it a pretty specialized service to perform?

You can do it yourself if you have the right tools and skills, though I've seen a lot of sensors that folks have damaged in the process of replacing the battery. I have a special tester I use on them, and I also use a better battery that usually lasts a bit longer. I sent you my contact info in a PM and can provide you all the particulars.

Hang on to those older style sensors if you have them. I'm replacing batteries in four more sets of them just this week, and I can keep them going pretty much forever.
Thanks for this information still waiting on my ecm to arrive back from Steve it's on the way. Have two new tires I've order batteries for tpms also have t rex crash protection front and rear bars coming most importanly have missing center stand with stock links coming spent a little money lol won't be eating for a month or more it's all Steve's fault blame on him lol I'm going to try doing mounting tires myself I've purchased motion tire tools Just purchase the bike aug 4,23 lol haven't really have a chance to enjoy. Tires might wait until winter long story short I'm grateful for this group you guys rock. Oh yeah black widow full exhuast is coming also Steve's fault again have blame someone it all started with a tune. 09 concours Ive notice bike has handle bar raiser on it already thats a plus

You can do it yourself if you have the right tools and skills, though I've seen a lot of sensors that folks have damaged in the process of replacing the battery. I have a special tester I use on them, and I also use a better battery that usually lasts a bit longer. I sent you my contact info in a PM and can provide you all the particulars.
I am pretty close to having 2 tpm sensors in hand that I can send you for battery replacement. Will check for your contact info in my in box. Or, should I buy new MX sensors mentioned herein this thread and program them?