• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Any activity in June 2018

The SC team is going to put on a great National Rally.

Three Sisters Rally

2018-COG-national-logo.jpg

Gumby said:
The SC team is going to put on a great National Rally.

Three Sisters Rally

2018-COG-national-logo.jpg

{Here is a little more info}
    The Three Sisters Rally will be June 11-14 in Kerrville Texas....

We stayed at the YO Ranch Motel last week and drove Model T Fords around the area.
Loved it.  Great area!!
The YO is a very "Texas" style Motel!

Ride safe, Ted

It's not on the calendar yet, but I anticipate hosting another Longest Day ride on June 23rd.  It will start at the Denny's in Arlington, WA, just east of exit 208 on I-5.

Charlie_Gary_AAD,June sounds like a great month for a Longest Day Ride.  Anything you need to help this event along?  I live outside of Carnation, WA so not too far off...

Thanks!
Gilbysan

The longest day ride is a good one. The ride goes over Washington pass on SR 20. A stop in Winthrop for a quick ice cream is common. Some might stop in Winthrop or Twisp for gas. At Twisp SR20 is abandoned for SR 153. Then off to Chelan for lunch going along the Columbia on after 153 intersects with 97 at Pateros. I would avoid getting gas at Pateros because they are overly proud of it. Chelan is only about 20 miles from Pateros anyways. I will peel off after lunch and head home which is the opposite direction from everyone else. 

I should maybe clarify last years Longest Day ride. I had just put a new rack of Carbs on the 900 and decided to meet everyone at the rest area on top of Washington Pass. The problem with this idea is my time calculator was off by several hours. I thought I had a pretty good idea of about what time the group would reach the rest area based on past experiences with this ride. I figured the group would hit the rest area at about 11AM. Washington pass from my house ids a good 2 to 21/2 hour ride. Since I was riding the 900 for the first time of any distance with a new rack of carbs, I left my house promptly at 8am. I wanted to make sure I was there when the group arrived.

I stopped for gas at Carlton which is an option too for the longest day ride. Carlton has alcohol free premium at their general store. I did the math and it looked like I was getting 45 MPG. Not great but it is what the book said I should get. Off to Washington pass I went. I parked at the entrance of the rest areas so I would not be missed. 11 am came and went. !2 noon came and went. 1pm came and went. At about 130, some Harley guys arrived. I questioned them on the route they took and at what time they left. They were delayed by a car group with a bunch of MG's or something like that.

Now, with these guys leaving from about the same place at about the same time as our Connie group and knowing the Connie group would make better time than any old Harley group, I became some what worried. I had made a quick detour off 20 at Twisp to see if a friend of mine was home. I rode by saw no indication he was there and continued my trip to WA pass. But what if I had missed the group during my 5 minute detour?  Just before 2 pm I said screw it, I know where these guys are having lunch. So I headed for Manson. I stopped again in Carleton for gas ran the numbers and even down hill I got 45 MPG.

The destination for lunch was Bennies in Manson. One of our members had recommended Bennies as the place to eat. I made it to Bennies and no Connie's to be found. I went back to Chelan and stopped for lunch at a favorite spot and ordered lunch. I could see the road and knew our Connie group would have to go by. I got about half way through lunch sand out of the corner of my eye I saw a silver bike. Was that a Connie? If it was I would never catch it by the time I paid the bill and got dressed to ride again. So I finished lunch.

Right after I put my helmet on and clenched the chin strap, I get a text from Charlie. Where you at? OK the group is now at Bennies in Manson. I will be there in a few. Since I had already eaten lunch I drooled over the large portions I saw. I couldn't stand it so I had a ham and cheese grilled up at a very reasonable cost.

I got to ride with the group again until Chelan which was not all that far and I peeled off for home because at Chelan the group heads west and I head east. Got to visit a little and met the mystery man from Great Bend.  Story was getting over the pass was slow and to add to it there was a group of cars (MG's) plugging things up.

Moral to the story? I'm at zero percent at meeting the group at other than the appointed group meet up. A few years ago there was a car show in Wenatchee. I missed my meet up point because I under estimated group travel time. This time I missed my meet up point because of over estimated travel time. Or something like that.

So the real question is lunch at Chelan or lunch at Manson?   

Ok, then.  Good place for my "They are lost, I am not lost story."  Time -1983.  Place - Somewhere between Idaho Falls and Salt Lake City, UT.  My Wife, My Boss, Sister and B-i-L rode our Gold Wings from Santa Fe to the Grand Canyon then Yellowstone and had a great ride and vacation. Turning toward home after a week+ on the road, we exited West YS. I had had enough of riding slow so my wonderful wife (at that time) took the co-pilot seat of my Boss' GW and I made free to open it up going toward SLC.  The plan was for me to ride WFO for about ~150 miles to Pocatello then wait for them along the road so we could resume our normal more or less, legal pace.  So I did, had a great high speed run along Utah 20, then I15 and stopped just outside of Poca to wait for them to catch up.  I waited and waited and waited.  I started to worry, recall this is pre cell phone and GPS.  The best we had was CB.  At least that's the best I had.  So after waiting and worrying for about 2 hours, I backtracked about 50 miles and saw nothing. I started thinking that something bad had happened to them, where could they be?  Went to the local UT Hwy Patrol office and inquired about any accidents, or issues along the route of travel, they had nothing. So plan B went into effect.  Called home base in ABQ to see if mother in law had any info. 

She says, "where the f@#k are you!  They think you were dead, injured, lost, or under arrest for being stupid."  I said, "I'm not lost, they are lost."  Stupid, maybe.  Where are they, I asked?  Turns out they got to SLC and are waiting for me at the designated hotel for that night.  Lulu, my wife was really pissed and was going to set me right when/if I got there.  At that moment, I honestly thought about just riding west and assuming a new identity.

So, they somehow got by me, I do not know how I could have missed two big assed GWs with my equally big a... well you know what I mean.  So Lulu was really pissed at me and was thinking that she would have to ride all the way back to Santa Fe on the back of my bosses Wing, and saying later "he rides too slow even for me." lol. 

So, I am riding like the wind to get to SLC and somewhere around Brigham City I ran into the largest giant Moth storm I have ever seen and hope to never ride through again.  Like the proverbial plague of Locusts.  Yellow moth guts everywhere, my Red Wing plastered yellow, my helmet, me.  Got some through the helmet shield.  Good protein I hear, though not much for taste.  Had to go to a spray wash in SLC and spend about $5. (in '83 that was a lot for washing your bike) getting what looked like egg yolk off the bike and me.

So, to make a long story just a bit longer; we sortied in SLC, she yelled at me for a bit, I demonstrated appropriate contrition, we went to our room...

We eventually made it safely back to SF and then my sis and her hubby rode on to their home in San Angelo, TX.

I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

Safe Riding All!

Gilbysan