• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Any FJR owners? Looking at an '09 for sale near me.

Connierider59!

Hey guys...and gals,
So I sold my Concours C-10 last spring and now have the itch again. 

I've been looking at some 14's on-line, but saw an FJR1300AE that caught my eye with 8,500 miles, owner is asking $4,830.
Going to try to see it this w/e even though our DMV is closed temporarily. As I'm not that familiar with this particular bike, any general impressions or opinions? buying tips?...any and all input is appreciated.
Thank you. 

Although I don"t have any experience with an FJR, including a year for the bike you are looking at might get more information. Why not look at the C-14? Probably comparable deals...

If you're looking for an auto trans sport bike, the used FJR is probably one of your best bets. Otherwise, I don't think it was very popular and every time I see a used FJR at an incredibly low price, it's either been wrecked or is the AE.
If you love it, I'd offer substantially less and be prepared to hold onto it.

I almost bought an FJR black 2009 before buying my 2009 C14.

The FJR is less overall size, weight and power, but not really lacking as the power to weight ratio is close.

For me, the greatest asset was a more standard frame which would have lent itself to easier valve adjustments, plus their interval is every 26k miles.  The C14 was an emotional purchase due to brand loyalty and newer in looks..  Not practical reasons.

As much as it pains me to say this, I should have gone with the FJR.

Lastly, the AE clutch was widely regarded by the press as an appreciated comfort, but a hindrance in tight, low-speed maneuvers.

Just getting back to look at responses. Thanks everyone.

Yes, I was also looking at the C-14's but the FJR caught my eye and wanted some impressions. I've seen some Coggers go the FJR route so was curious.

I'm still looking at bikes but New York State's DMV is closed for the duration so wouldn't be able to register it now anyway. It'll give me some more time to shop around.  :great:

Many COGgers went to the FJR because it offers factory installed cruise control, along with very similar performance and handling. As Vic said, the AE model offers some challenge performing low speed maneuvers as the power to the rear wheel can drop off suddenly. Definitely a learning curve. FWIW, the new (2018 - 2019) DCT Goldwing has a similar problem. I understand that Honda has addressed it in the 2020 model.

I own an 18 dct wing, no problem whatsoever.  The fjr's handle nice but had limited cornered clearance compared to the c14.  Fjr had a more compact riding position too.  Both big reasons I bought the c14 at the time.