• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anybody here own a KLIM Kodiak??

ghostrider990

Thinking about trying one out, since it's the only set in the Klim line up that is offered in REAL world sizing.  ::)

I tried-on a newer Badlands in the Spring, and while it was a really nice piece of gear, just DID not fit my frame -- and the extra 4"+ of length on the arms was entirely unforgivable.  Truly an ADV-built suit, not really for Sport-Touring.  :-[

Also tried REv'it, but same deal there:  just way too slim, and not enough sizing options to make it fit to match the CO$t of the set.  Again -- SUPER nice gear, but "if the gloves don't fit, you MUST Acquit!"

So, if you're wearing the new Klim Kodiak, I'd like to hear from you.

thanks,
gr

I just got a Klim Apex jacket and teamed it up with there Torrent pants, I like them both only if it weren't for the fact that I need over pants because I commute. If I didn't need to wear them over my jeans I probably would have teemed the jacket with a pair of l Latitude pants. The Apex is specifically a sport touring jacket leaning heavily towards sport.

I bought a set of the Kodiak jacket and pants.  Again, awesome gear, and the Kodiak offers a bit more svelte fit for the taller and trimmer amongst us.  The Badlands was just a bit too baggy for me, especially the pants.

I'm in the process of trying a few different sizes to see what works best for me, and the layers I wear.
Still not certain I'll keep it, and make the plunge / investment.

One Major Glaring issue still remains for me and the Klim gear:  Ape Arms.  :mad:
Without going into specifics of my size and dimensions, I still cannot figure out where Klim is aggregating it's data from in regards to Arm Length vs. the general Male Populace.
With the Badlands Pro it was the deal breaker, and it's not much different with the Kodiak.  That extra sleeve length weighs heavily on the wrists, puts the elbow armor in the wrong position, and makes fitment literally uncomfortable.

I did find that I can literally fold the cuffs back on themselves along with the velcroe closures, which are about 1.25" wide, to make the arm length more tolerable.  That is unfortunately, a sad workaround for such an expensive Jacket.  I haven't ever considered myself to have abnormally long or short arms in relation to my body size, and I buy my shirts and suit jackets off the rack.
Why Klim continues to size their jackets with an included extra 3" of sleeve length vs. the advertised arm length is a complete mystery to me - as THAT is precisely how much extra arm lenth I get on every jacket i've tried on.

Materials, function, venting, colorways, and all other aspects of these jackets really make me want to give my money to Klim however, and the only real fault I can give them OTHER than the sleeve lengths -- is the idiotic mechanics of the neck and neck closure system.  Beyond that, this stuff is fantastic on paper.

Guess I'll have to compromise on the sleeves, and see if I can make the sleeves work in the folded position.  Not ideal, but I'm just about tired of waiting for any manufacturer of Apex touring 3PL Goretex Touring gear to make something that is equivelant to a "custom fit" suit for my body.

I'll update if I buy one, and how it performs in real world riding conditions.

gr

Grant said:
I just got a Klim Apex jacket and teamed it up with there Torrent pants, I like them both only if it weren't for the fact that I need over pants because I commute. If I didn't need to wear them over my jeans I probably would have teemed the jacket with a pair of l Latitude pants. The Apex is specifically a sport touring jacket leaning heavily towards sport.

Grant I am still not a fan of the Apex. Lets see when the weather drops below 10. They claim four season  Yes more sport than touring. More than likely I will still be wearing my latitude when it gets frigid. It in my humble opinion is a true 4 season.

Hope you get the right gear for you sooner than later Ghost

Grant I am still not a fan of the Apex. Lets see when the weather drops below 10. They claim four season  Yes more sport than touring. More than likely I will still be wearing my latitude when it gets frigid. It in my humble opinion is a true 4 season.
[/quote]

The Apex is a great shell and like all Klim gear when it comes to cold weather it depends on what you chose to team it up with, when it comes to Klims bring your own mid and base layers  philosophy.
Around here we rarely see temperatures below 20° besides I am done below 25° and any where close to freezing if there is any  moisture or chance of ice.

Anyone have anything to contribute on a Klim KODIAK????

Gotta be one or two amongst us out there that's not wearing Frogg Toggs over an old hockey pad set for protection.  :D

gr