• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anybody protecting their FOB with an Apple Air Tag

dirtwiz

I'm considering putting an Air Tag in a pouch with my FOB just in case I somehow lose it some day. It seems like cheap insurance to me even though I have never lost it yet. It looks like they are about $29 each and my Apple Iphone will track it.

I'm considering putting an Air Tag in a pouch with my FOB just in case I somehow lose it some day. It seems like cheap insurance to me even though I have never lost it yet. It looks like they are about $29 each and my Apple Iphone will track it.
Is there a monthly/yearly fee for the Air Tag?

No...it runs off a bluetooth type setup only as far as I know. It sounds simple to me. If my fob fell out of my pocket it shows on bike screen (fob unavailable) and I would know to seach for it with my phone. I'm going to try it and see.
It has a battery like your fob that lasts a year and it searches like your find a phone app.

Last edited:
No...it runs off a bluetooth type setup only as far as I know. It sounds simple to me. If my fob fell out of my pocket it shows on bike screen (fob unavailable) and I would know to seach for it with my phone. I'm going to try it and see.
It has a battery like your fob that lasts a year and it searches like your find a phone app.
Sounds like a good deal to me, i was just on Apple website chatting with someone and was told there is no fee.

I use one of these, the round ones with my car and bike keys. So far, so good.

The Tech is good if you can spare the battery life to keep the app running all the time, but don't forget the simple stuff as well.
Have your phone number either in or on the fob and the word "$Reward$" won't hurt...both are easy to do and don't cost much
compared to the cost of the FOB and programming. I have a bright yellow lanyard with my phone number and $Reward$ printed on it
attached to my FOB. The first two I lost didn't.

If you find the second FOB I lost, please put a fresh battery in the xY Tile attached and call me to tell me to turn on the app so I can come and get it. :D

This sounds like a good idea to me.
But, (seeing the part about battery life) how long would it have power?
Or can/should you turn it on and off?

NOTE: I currently have a stamped metal tag on my FOB keys.

Sez; Ted / 281-XXXxxxx / $50 reward

Ride safe, Ted

I use a lanyard around my neck with the fob attached. If I lose my fob I might have a bigger problem.

Deep or zippered pockets reduce the wandering fobs. Cheap too.

2nd. if I did lose my fob, the wife would ship me the other one from home to me. I would have the Connie towed or trailered to the nearest motel where I would camp for a couple of days until the fob arrived. While waiting I would relax and enjoy some cold snacks after trying to find the lost one depending on the distance.

I too currently have my fob in a pouch wrapped with a note and my phone # for a reward if found even though I have it zippered in my riding pants. I also have my other fob hidden under the seat just in case. I just think it would be worth having my c-14 fob and my wifes fob for her car in case her purse is lost.

The Tech is good if you can spare the battery life to keep the app running all the time, but don't forget the simple stuff as well.
Have your phone number either in or on the fob and the word "$Reward$" won't hurt...both are easy to do and don't cost much
compared to the cost of the FOB and programming. I have a bright yellow lanyard with my phone number and $Reward$ printed on it
attached to my FOB. The first two I lost didn't.

If you find the second FOB I lost, please put a fresh battery in the xY Tile attached and call me to tell me to turn on the app so I can come and get it. :D

I've had my latest Tile over a year now , still works great and the App reminds me when the battery should be changed . The app runs in the background but I haven't noticed any loss of charge on my phone . If I open it right now it will show me where I've been all day on the map and my current location . If I had lost it during the day I can see where it was last before going out of range .

That's what I do.
I use extra keys for gas tank, saddle bags, and seat so I don't wear out the stove knob key.

The spare will open the seat to access whatever you are hiding in there. If the battery FOB gets lost, you also lose the key, unless you remove it and tuck that away. There's many ways to skin this cat.

The worst case situation is when you ride off, leaving the FOB on the bench, arriving at your destination 200 miles away and kill the engine. The key FOB buried under the seat is locked away. How will you open the seat? Crowbars work, but a handy key hanging around your neck is a lot less work and easier on the cosmetics.

Well i have five keys that work, usually have active fob in pants pocket and passive in jacket sleeve, maybe ill toss an extra in the tank bag and put another passive under the seat.🙂

I also have a spare key that is on a wire hanger in front and under my fuel tank. I always use it for opening my gas cap and saddle bags. One tip I learned here is to occasionally unlock your seat and keep the key hole and mechanism lubed to avoid corrosion in the lock if you need to pull your seat to get to your passive fob. There have been a number of broken keys trying to unlock the seat.

OK, so I know like the C-10, there are two key numbers for spare keys so I can make some spares to keep on my person or taped somewhere on the bike easily accessed but unseen? Are these common keys or do I need to go to a dealer as they are numbered and specific?

And you know, while I'm at it, this whole keyless s**t is just that, S**t. I'm now carrying 4 TIMES MORE KEYS THAN BEFORE.

I have my keys/FOB/*Dog Tag in/attached to a leather carry case.
I keep it {near my heart} in my back pocket.
** The Dog Tag sez; Sez; Ted / 281-XXXxxxx / $50 reward

I had extra keys made for my bags. I *modified them, and they stay in the key holes of the bags.
** I ground them down and attached Sterio Knobs to them.

Ride safe, Ted

Any key shop have them, and some Hardware stores.
They sale a short and a long version.
I think I used the long as it was easier to modify it to work with the Sterio Knobs.