• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anybody up for a trip to Colorado?

Fred H.

I'm thinking about heading across New Mexico and into lower Colorado on the weekend of Sept 14/th15th/16th for a few days. Probably head out on Thursday afternoon (13th) and spend the night somewhere in West Texas. I usually like to go up around the Pagosa Springs area and then do Wolf Creek pass and up through Lake City. The Aspens are usually changing right about this time, and it's usually a nice time to go.

Fred,
Never been and am actually headed to Franklin,NC on Saturday and then to Nashville Sunday afternoon for business 10,11,12. Plan on leaving Nashville Wednesday afternoon and going toward St.Louis with a destination of Kansas City, Kansas to see an old friend who lives there now on Thursday but that part is cloudy as he may not come in from business until late that night and keep me there on Friday. Original plan was Thursday in Kansas and Friday am head to Denver. I have always wanted to see and ride the Rockies if only for a day or2 or 3.
So with that being said I do plan on being in Denver on Friday or Saturday and will have more definate schedule on Wednesday. Please keep me advised and with me not knowing Rockies either let me know where to meet up or worst case from Denver - whats a good road to head toward. Friend may ride as I know his sister has a place in Vale, but he also rides a XX Blackbird and not sure he's up for a 3 or 4 day long hard ride on that crotch rocket.
If your going I will post next week and give you phone number and get some kind of directions , in the mean time if you know a good ride from Denver let me know as I looked and actually wanted to hit Montana and Yellowstone.
Ever noticed how a road map looks like a nice Buffet. Its easy to let your eyes overload your plate !!!!
Mike

Fred,

Just a head's up...local news reports the leaves are changing about two weeks ahead of normal...there's already a lot of color up there in them there hills...they are saying the peak time for Pagosa is Sept 15-22 this year...

Don't know if we'll be able to catch you this time...going down that way to meet the Nevada boys tomorrow...riding down there two weeks in a row might be a stretch...

Enjoy!

CRocker said:
Fred,

Just a head's up...local news reports the leaves are changing about two weeks ahead of normal...there's already a lot of color up there in them there hills...they are saying the peak time for Pagosa is Sept 15-22 this year...

Don't know if we'll be able to catch you this time...going down that way to meet the Nevada boys tomorrow...riding down there two weeks in a row might be a stretch...

Enjoy!

That's perfect, cause I'll be there on the 15th.  Thanks for the report.

I'm up in Gunnison now, and the trees are starting to change.
It's very beautiful, and should be awesome when you get up here Fred.

ARATA said:

Cool, looking forward to it.

Anybody wanna meet me in Colorado next week?

ARATA said:
u

Where you gonna be tomorrow?  I'll be in Gunnison in the afternoon...

Fred,

I rode over Wolf Creek Pass yesterday...not much color change yet...should be good next weekend...

Enjoy...

CRocker said:
ARATA said:
u

Where you gonna be tomorrow?  I'll be in Gunnison in the afternoon...

Still in Gunnison. We are headed back to Texas tomorrow.
I sent you an email, not sure if you got it.

Enjoy ! I just went up there to Trinidad area...highway of legends Labor Day week . Gorgeous scenery but that panhandle ride is booooooring !

Riding out from Alabama should be in Colorado on Oct 25th then over to Salt Lake City and Boise for business -  :)

Good timing Fred.  There is more rain and weather between here and there then we have had in over a year.  Can you just come back down here to Central Tx. and ride around till our lakes fill up please?

I missed all the rain. Spent the night in Amarillo, and the storm went over me while I slept. The storm clouds yesterday afternoon were a blessing, as they blocked the afternoon sun from my eyes, and dropped the temps crossing West Texas. Couldn't have timed it any better if I had tried.

Had a great day today, but I just missed a HUGE Elk by millimeters going accross the mountain into Chama. Closest I've ever come to an animal and not hit it. I was coming around a corner at a pretty high rate of speed and he was in the road. When he saw me he tried to run, but his back legs went out from under him on the pavement and he sprawled out in front of me. I'm still not sure how I missed him. Had to stop and look over the bike just to make sure it didn't leave any marks on it.

Its 70 degrees and sunny here in Pagosa Springs. Couldn't ask for better weather.

And this, gentlemen, is why I love Colorado in September. Absolutely awesome trip. Even managed to take some spy photos of the new 2014 C7 Corvette and sell them to some magazines. All in all an awesome trip!!!

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/rockiesgold2013

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg