• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone have tips for attending Indy MotoGP?

bajakirch

Crotch Rocket
I'm starting to think about my 2014 Big Motorcycling Adventure, and a strong contender is a trip to the MotoGP races in Indianapolis.

If anyone's ever gone, maybe you could share some tips about attending? For example, suggestions on economical places to stay (I can camp), places not-to-be-missed and to-be-avoided, traffic hassles, any decent fun riding in the area, etc.

OK,
Here's a tip: Actually buy a ticket, no sneaking in! Tip #2  Have fun!! Wait I got more!!! :)) :)) :)) :))
Matt

bajakirch said:
I'm starting to think about my 2014 Big Motorcycling Adventure, and a strong contender is a trip to the MotoGP races in Indianapolis.

If anyone's ever gone, maybe you could share some tips about attending? For example, suggestions on economical places to stay (I can camp), places not-to-be-missed and to-be-avoided, traffic hassles, any decent fun riding in the area, etc.

I have been to three MotoGPs in Indy.  Sometimes I have bought a ticket in advance and other times I buy them at the track, you can save a little money buying at the track from on of the "re-sellers".  Don't but the first ticket you see.  I have always ridden up on my m'cyc and camped adjacent to the track.  One year it was real noisy, but I think that (noisy) guy was probably told to never come back. (lol)  Take a small backpack and carry water with you, or bring lots of cash to buy drinks.  Make sure you get to the main stands at least once to hear the sound of those engines.  You might want to consider bringing ear plugs. 
I can't comment on riding in the area.
Go into the Indy museum located inside the track.
Walk around the infield to various viewing spots.
One year there was a Friday night pre-season game at Lucas Oil Field between the Colts and the Packers.  I lucked out and was able to get reasonably priced tickets and my wife was with me that year.  My wife's boyfriend in Peyton Manning.

bajakirch said:

I did this trip with my son two years ago.

We bought our reserved seating tickets early.  Check the map of the indy course, there are some seats that will give you a better view of more turns than others.  If I remember correctly, look at the grandstands just before the beginning of the front straight.  We were there for all three days.  Bring a small backpack to bring water to the track and swag back to the hotel.

We also bought the reserved motorcycle parking.  It wasn't expensive.  We also bought the track ride.  It is mostly a parade lap around the course.  If you are going to be there once - I think it was worth it.

We did not camp but stayed in a hotel.  Make your hotel reservation early.  Ask around for suggestions on where to stay.  The area around the track is a little "seedy".  I can't remember the name of the hotel we used but it was a brand name and about 20 minutes north of the track.  The Suzuki marketing team was staying there so it couldn't have been too bad :)

Here's a ride report I wrote back then.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72641-indy-epic-adventure/?hl=%2Bepic+%2Bindy+%2Badventure

Good luck- have fun!

I've attended all but the inaugural GP when the remanants from the hurricane blew the place apart.  You can definitely get tickets at the venue from scalpers.  I purchase in advance so I can sit in the penthouse (yah...I know) a little pricey but out of the weather and nice locations up high to see the entire track.

Parking at the museum is nice but costs $20/day.  Good luck with hotels.  They sell out early and the cheapest you can find are on the west side of town near the airport $120-150/night?  Riding at Meridian Downtown is absolutely crazy.  We park the bikes at the hotel,, start drinking and taxi our way around town.

Make plans to see the Indy Mile Flat Track races at the Fairgrounds on Saturday night.  Pretty Awesome time.

Only been to it twice, but here are some comments:
I think best places to sit are what was already mentioned, the grandstands just before the front straight. There are several turns visible from here, and since it's just before the straight, you'll see riders trying to pass right at that spot; some make it, some don't!
Another good place is the grandstands at the south end of the track. You can see them coming out of the straight, and going through several turns here also. Last yer this was a "general admission" ares, so was a little lower price. WE moved aroudn a lot, seeing different angles of the track.
You can park for free on the east end of the track; what is normally the back straight of the oval. There were people giving away small steel plates to keep sidestands from poking into the asphalt. It's a walk to the track, but free. There is a gear check station between this free parking and the track.
Good advice on backpack with water, snacks, etc.... and brign sunscreen.
One thing to do on Saturday night is "Bike on Meridian". This is on Indy's main North/South street, going through the center of downtown. The street is only open to motorcycle traffic, and there will be many thousands of bikes parked, and driving thorugh it. It's a neat sight. A little crazy, but not dangerous. lots of police to make sure it stays that way.
As for riding in the area, best of it is just South of Indy, in the Brown County State Park area.
Traffic is not too bad. Indy 500 and Brickyard bring hundreds of thousands, MotoGP somewhere around 70-80,000, so it flows pretty well since it's so much smaller than other events.
It's a fun event. I'll probably go again this year, maybe working (only for part of the time) the gear check with CMA group.

Good comments on seating location.  Been to Indy 3 times and sat in that area and it is a good spot.  One thing I will add is if you can...take in the flat-track races at the Indy Mile Saturday night....low admission and the racing is amazing.  You can ride and park in the infield and get pretty close to the track....great experience!

Have fun planning! 

I've spent enough time in the Indianapolis area to tell you that other than the Speedway, there really isn't much else to see there.  :(

About 20-30 minutes south of Indy, it becomes almost abruptly obvious where the glaciers stopped and retreated. The geography goes from flat to rolling and hilly (and curvy). Try RT 135 out of Nashville (IN). WHEEE!  Many other good roads in that area. :great:

Also have about the best Children's Museum in the country. Based on how some of us ride (including me) that might be a key attraction.
In reality, there are a lot of things going on fhat weekend. Even the town of speedway will likely havw some special events going on. The Indy 500 museum is also a neat place to go. The Dallara Indy car cactory is right near the track and they have rides on a two-seater car, simulators you can drive, an exhibition hall with a number of cars, and plant tours.
Lucas Field (Colts stadium) has tours, not sure times. The stadium is an impressive place!
One more place I should mention is the Indians AAA baseball that plays downtown they're a good team, in a really nice agasium, and tickets are reasonable.
Anyway, I m not much of a tourist guide, but there are a number of options, and don't forget about bikes on Meridian on Saturday evening/night!  And this one is free!

Just happened upon this thread.  I cant add to what others have said other than do NOT buy your ticket ahead of time.  IMS puts guys all over selling tickets.  I get mine at half face value.  Once you get into the grandstands they are really split into 3 sections.  Turn 4 to the paddocks (main straight), paddocks, and inside turn 1 through turn 2.  Get a ticket to one of these sections and pretty much sit where you want as it comes nowhere near selling out.  They are wide open between these sections.

Say a tickets face value is $80, get it for $40, that is only $20 more than general admission and better seats than sitting on a hill watching 100 meters of track.  I sit outside turn 4 and see maybe a mile of track.  Though the Ducati section in turn 2 is always full.  Though quiet the last few years.  ;)

Bought 2 tickets last year from the first scalper I saw.  I just smile and say, "I'll give you half face value.  If that doesn't work there are 50 other guys between here and the track I can ask.  The race barely has any ticket buyers as is"  I'm friendly about it and smile. I've yet to get turned down.