• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone owned or ridden a BMW K1600 GT?

KretonsLC

I'm probably a good 2 years away from possibly replacing my Connie, but it never hurts to plan ahead, right? I'm considering a used K1600 GT because it has a few features the Connie lacks that I'd like, e.g. the huge gas tank, trick headlights, electronically adjustable suspension, heated seat, cruise control, radio, and built-in navigation. Plus the engine is supposed to be awesomely smooth and powerful, but still economical. The other thing I like is the relaxed ergos. According to the Motorcycle Ergonomics site they have more leg extension and a nearly upright riding position than Connies, which is something that might keep me from hitting the old fart button as I sail into my 70s and just going with a full dress cruiser like a Roadmaster (which I've ridden and like by the way, but the weight - uggh!). Interestingly, unless the ergos site is wrong, the GT's have more leg extension than the K1600 GTL, which I believe is the more Gold Wing-esque model. I believe they have decent major service intervals (like 30k miles) too. And they look cool too, which since that's one of the things I love best about Connies is a nice plus.

Has anyone here owned one or at least spent a decent amount of saddle time on one, like maybe as a rental? I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.

Dont forget about the reverse gear, bags and compartments locking and unlocki g with a fob.

My buddy, who can afford it, went from the c14 to his current ride....

BMW has had to buy back a number of these machines from owners because of the tendency for the machine to immediately drift off line if the rider goes no-hands. Some owners were not happy with BMW saying "keep your hands on the handlebars" as the solution to the problem.

Digging back into my memory, the issue has to do with the rear wheel on defective machines not lining up with the front wheel. It may very well be that BMW has solved this issue by now but I'd recommend that a test ride include being on cruise control and trying the no hand thing before any $ changes hands.

Dont forget about the reverse gear, bags and compartments locking and unlocki g with a fob.

My buddy, who can afford it, went from the c14 to his current ride....
Yeah, since they weigh about 759 lbs., reverse would be nice. But I've been unable to confirm whether the GT has it or just the GTL.

BMW has had to buy back a number of these machines from owners because of the tendency for the machine to immediately drift off line if the rider goes no-hands. Some owners were not happy with BMW saying "keep your hands on the handlebars" as the solution to the problem.

Digging back into my memory, the issue has to do with the rear wheel on defective machines not lining up with the front wheel. It may very well be that BMW has solved this issue by now but I'd recommend that a test ride include being on cruise control and trying the no hand thing before any $ changes hands.
Good to know. I'll have to research this issue. Probably a lot of info about it on a K1600 GT forum.

I have not spent a lot of time on one, but I did test ride one while at the Barber Vintage Festival. It is the only bike that I have ever riden that is as smooth as a Goldwing. It has power equivalent to the C14. I have heard a lot of stories about maintenance issues with the K1600's. I thought it was a phenominal bike, but being a fan of Japanese bikes, I would personally buy the latest gen. of Gold Wing before I bought a K1600, mainly for the reliability and dealer network of Honda, but it's less HP. HP is very important.
If you ride a K1600, you will love it.

BMW tourer adds electric reverse​

The BMW K 1600 GTL has been updated with optional electronic reverse, auto emergency call function, new styling and new colours for 2017.
It was unveiled at the EICMA motorcycle show in Milan alongside the new G 310 GS and R nineT Urban G/S, updated R 1200 GS and F 800 models, as well as their ConnectedRide technologies.
There is no confirmation yet from BMW Motorrad Australia when the bike will arrive nor its technology level.

Electronic reverse is now available as an ex-works option across the whole range of K 1600s, including the new K 1600 B.

BMW tourer adds electric reverse​

The BMW K 1600 GTL has been updated with optional electronic reverse, auto emergency call function, new styling and new colours for 2017.
It was unveiled at the EICMA motorcycle show in Milan alongside the new G 310 GS and R nineT Urban G/S, updated R 1200 GS and F 800 models, as well as their ConnectedRide technologies.
There is no confirmation yet from BMW Motorrad Australia when the bike will arrive nor its technology level.

Electronic reverse is now available as an ex-works option across the whole range of K 1600s, including the new K 1600 B.
Thanks. I did see somewhere after my last post that it was an option beginning with the 2018 models. I think if I were to get one that might be a must have given its heft. I'm pretty good at making sure I don't pull into a parking space nose first when the road slopes downward toward the curb, but sometimes the maneuvers required to back into spots bring their own hazards, especially if you're dealing with gravel.

I love my C14, and kinda doubt a GT would woo me away just based on performance and ride. But if it turns out ride-wise they're similar, some of its bells and whistles that enhance comfort and safety might.

The Beemer 1600 was the bike I dreamed of 🤤 until I threw my leg over a Connie. That was it for me and I have been under her spell :love: ever since.

Do I ever think about the 1600? Sure. Would I ever own one, maybe. If my lottery numbers hit and money was no object, anything is possible! But for now, I own a BMW 1600 I can easily afford and she is a 2011 C-14. That probably will never change for me. I often ride with a buddy who has a BMW 1600 and he always wants to swap with me when we go out. I wonder why..........? And I always feel like I am cheating on my Connie when I do :LOL: but the 1600 doesn't really impress me all that much anymore. It doesn't get my blood flowing like my Connie can, the 1600 is a bit sterile for my tastes.

The Beemer 1600 was the bike I dreamed of 🤤 until I threw my leg over a Connie. That was it for me and I have been under her spell :love: ever since.

Do I ever think about the 1600? Sure. Would I ever own one, maybe. If my lottery numbers hit and money was no object, anything is possible! But for now, I own a BMW 1600 I can easily afford and she is a 2011 C-14. That probably will never change for me. I often ride with a buddy who has a BMW 1600 and he always wants to swap with me when we go out. I wonder why..........? And I always feel like I am cheating on my Connie when I do :LOL: but the 1600 doesn't really impress me all that much anymore. It doesn't get my blood flowing like my Connie can, the 1600 is a bit sterile for my tastes.
Good to know. If I found the 1600 had some bells and whistles I liked but was a step backwards from ride and performance from my C-14 I'd pass on it.

I'm coming into this late, but I'll share some observations.

Way back when I picked up my F800GT, I was a member of the BMW MOA. I read there of a member who lost traction in a low-speed corner after leaving the national rally. Even though he had crash bars, he still got a scratch on the engine casing.

This is the part where you guys will say I'm making it all up. I'm not. Just relaying to you what he wrote. So...the dealership totaled the bike because of the scratch. The reasoning is that there is no allowable damage to the engine casing...even a scratch. Stressed member? Don't know. He thought it was ridiculous, and so did everyone else. But the story stayed in my mind.

Pre lockdown times, I rode with a bunch of Canadians who were on C-14s, primarily. They rode faster than I've ever experienced on open roads. In the group was a K1600GT owner. Judging from a couple days of watching them, his bike was no better and no worse than the others.

And I just smiled as I kept up with them nicely on my little 90 hp F800GT with a wet weight of 470lbs. ;)

Chris