• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone rekey C14 saddlebag yet?

scrape

Due to an unfortunate incident, I had to replace one of my C14 saddlebags and lock/handle assemblies.  Of course Kawi sent a new lock with it and it included a different key.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove my old bag lock core to insert it into the new bag. 

So...can I take the new lock core (not installed in the new bag yet) to a locksmith and get it rekeyed to my old key?  Looks like once the new core is inserted into the new handle assembly there is no getting it out (maybe a BFH which I may yet try too, since the old unit is no longer good for me), it looks like a one time procedure mating the lock to the handle assembly.

Anyone go through this yet?

I believe it can be done, but I think you may have to drill out some rivets to get the old lock cylinder out. I think I have some photos, I'll see if I can dig them up....

Here you go. Take a look at this photo. Once you get the latch assembly apart, I believe you'll find the key cylinder is attached with either rivets or some sort of security screws. You can see them in this photo. You'll probably have to drill them out and then replace them.

A locksmith may also be able to remove the cylinder(without removing it from the latch) and re-key it IF he has the proper wafer slides that go in it.

large.jpg

Ok, there is a much easier way and people aren't going to like it. 

Look down the key hole.  You'll see brass coloured wafers inside.  We'll call this the top.  Take a piece of wire small enough to fit easily into the key hole.  Insert it all the way to the bottom of the key hole.  Push the wire in the direction of the top.  While you hold this in place, you will need to pull the whole plug (round part with the keyhole in it) out.

It isn't difficult.  Takes me a matter of seconds to do.  I'm going away for 3 days but I'll try and follow up an answer questions if you have any.

Here are some photos that show how to remove the cylinder from a typical helmet lock. I don't know if the saddlebag locks work the same, but I suspect they do. On these, I had to access the back of the lock to press down on the slide that holds it in place. There may be another way to do it through the front, but I don't know how to do it that way.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/helmetlocks

medium.jpg

I had some pictures somewhere but can't seem to lay my hands on them.  Your photo will do though Fred.  On the C14 you can move that wafer that is sticking up from inside the keyhole.  A little gentle experimentation will help.

If you hold your key in you hand and count the cuts from the head to the tip there are 6.  The 7th (that doesn't appear on the key) is the one that holds it in.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Here are some photos that show how to remove the cylinder from a typical helmet lock. I don't know if the saddlebag locks work the same, but I suspect they do. On these, I had to access the back of the lock to press down on the slide that holds it in place. There may be another way to do it through the front, but I don't know how to do it that way.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/helmetlocks

medium.jpg

Yup my local locksmith moved the old key cylinder to the new latching mechanism.  Did it in the back room so no one could see, then let the other employees try to figure it out.  No one could and he did not reveal his secret.  no rivets destroyed or anything, so I suppose the technique should be figured out here and posted in the growing volumes of C14 lore.  Never seeing a C14 lock setup before, he had it figured out and swapped in 15 minutes (I heard him say it was similar to a Sporster lock cylinder to one of the other employees at the shop).  I had no problem paying him $15 for the job.  Very pleased, but still mystified.

Does anyone know where to get lock cylinders for the saddle bags? Does anyone know how/where to purchase a replacement lock core for the saddle bags?

Ok, there is a much easier way and people aren't going to like it.

Look down the key hole. You'll see brass coloured wafers inside. We'll call this the top. Take a piece of wire small enough to fit easily into the key hole. Insert it all the way to the bottom of the key hole. Push the wire in the direction of the top. While you hold this in place, you will need to pull the whole plug (round part with the keyhole in it) out.

It isn't difficult. Takes me a matter of seconds to do. I'm going away for 3 days but I'll try and follow up an answer questions if you have any.
This is correct. I was able to do this and am hoping to find a replacement cylinder that I can match to my key. The cylinder did not come out easily though as the plastic really wanted to hold onto it.