• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone ridden on both Roadsmart 3's and Pilot 5's or 5 GT's?

KretonsLC

New sneaker time rolling around before too long so I'm wondering whether to get another pair of RS 3's or perhaps try the new Pilot 5 GT's.  The Pilot's look good and I've had plenty of experience with 2's and 4's, but I've been very happy with my RS 3's in terms of handling, wear, and handling rain. 

Has anyone had both of these tires and have a preference?  The Michelins are $100 more, so they'd have to be noticeably superior to lure me away from the Dunlops.

First, I don't have a C14.  But I have ridden on the RS3's through two sets, and briefly on the Pilot 5s.

The Dunlops were a good tire.  I'll probably go back to them on the next set of tires.  The Continental RA3s I put on last summer were incredible for confidence in corners.  Both with rebates were considerably less expensive than the Pilot 5. 

When I rode my friend's bike (same as mine), I didn't feel anything magical about the Pilot 5s.  In fact, I really didn't like the feel at all.  Was it the tires?  Or suspension settings?  Not sure, but I didn't find the feel something to write home about.

I think the Pilot 5s are good tires.  But I also think there are not that much of a difference between any of the top rated tires.

Chris

Have had a set of PR 5 (non-GT) on the C-14 for almost 9000 miles.  This is the most mileage I have gotten, although a lot of those miles were on the slab as I went from San Antonio to Williamsport last year.  I thought they handled well in the turns and performed great in the rain.  I plan on putting on another set before the trip up to Vancouver.

Steve

For comparisons sake what other tires have you used and what did you get out of them?
Wayne

SATXRIDER said:
Have had a set of PR 5 (non-GT) on the C-14 for almost 9000 miles.  This is the most mileage I have gotten, although a lot of those miles were on the slab as I went from San Antonio to Williamsport last year.  I thought they handled well in the turns and performed great in the rain.  I plan on putting on another set before the trip up to Vancouver.

Steve

I ran a set of the RS 3's. Nice tire. Also used the AVON's 3DXM's. AVON then went with the Spirits and used 3 sets, OK tire, get 6K miles.  Also Pirelli ST's and GT's. Hated the Pilots, but the 4 series.

I have a new set of RS 2's to install. $164 shipped for that set.

Little tread drift here
I'm running RS3's right now.
When there done I'm going to install a set of RS2's
The price is great.
I'm confident they will be a good/great tire.

Like some of the others I'm running the RS3's with a set of RS2's in the garage. I was a Michelin man till I tried the RS 3's. I ran the RP 2's, 3's and 4's until the RS 3's. For me the RS3's turn a little better and still V/G in the rain. I'm sure the RP 5 will be a great tire. But like Ford's and Chevy's everyone is a little different.

I've got 115k on Michelin 2,3,4 and 5's. 2s were the best at the time. I ran 3's for the vast majority of the miles, loved them, but they quit the 55 series. I ran 4's for about 1500 miles and gave them away; no lean angle due to cross section profile being rounded off. 3 sets of 5's non gt. I liked them a lot, best compounds of any sport touring tire I've tried. I wish they'd make a 5 with the cross section of the 3. But still the 5 is better.

For the other 10k;
I tried Angel gts and found them to be squirmy, especially in the hot hot sun.
I tried Avon spirits for 500 miles and sold them to local guy that hardly rides. They were so bad in the rain I couldn't believe it. A mild roll on in second gear would break it loose.
I used a couple different tires that I had to purchase on the road due to needing something now.

But as far as the Roadsmart 3s go, I've got about 2k on my first set and they are very good! They're about half gone but I typically get 3500-4000, so that's good. Compounds are good, profile is good. Good in the rain. I hammered it in first in the rain and it broke loose on a bump but it hooked up on its own without backing out of the throttle. its an 08, no traction control. I'm a little worried about getting them off the wheel, as they weren't easy to put on. Id rate them as good as the PR3's which was a very fine tire in my opinion.

I've got a set of Road 5 gts sitting here.

TimR said:
Like some of the others I'm running the RS3's with a set of RS2's in the garage. I was a Michelin man till I tried the RS 3's. I ran the RP 2's, 3's and 4's until the RS 3's. For me the RS3's turn a little better and still V/G in the rain. I'm sure the RP 5 will be a great tire. But like Ford's and Chevy's everyone is a little different.

Echos my experience. The RP4 GT gave me the best mileage until I put a set of RS3 on. Seemed like no break-in with them. Will put them on again.