• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone with experience with Hella dualbeam headlight kit?

chemobrain

I've had a string of health issues, the most recent of which was a hip replacement, that kept my 2006 Concours in mothballs for years. Oh yeah, and then there was this pandemic thing that (initially at least) only killed old people with pre-existing conditions. This is my first time back in the forum in a long, long, time. I worked my way up through my 1974 Honda CB360 and then my 1984 Honda CB650SC (the 2006 Concours is my "new" bike) but the Concours was too much for me. I've finally gotten back in the saddle on my Concours, and while it's a pig to try to push around even compared to the 650, when I let out the clutch I fall in love all over again. I ride for an hour and want to just keep going. So I'm thinking that maybe I still have a couple of motorcycle trips left in me.

I put Murph's Hella headlight kit on my Concours over ten years ago. That was over ten years ago. Now, when I contemplate a road trip I wonder, how in the hell do I change a bulb if one burns out on the road? I've got a couple of questions I hope somebody can help with:

First I would need a spare bulb. The low beam is an H9. Is the high beam different and if so, what is it?

I can work backwards from the installation instructions and eventually figure out how to change a bulb. It's probably not that big a deal, but I'd rather not discover the easy way by doing it the hard way, especially in the dark outside of Pukwana, South Dakota. If some saavy COG member could offer some step by step instructions and/or hints regarding how to change bulbs on the Hella fixture the easy/right way the first time it would be much appreciated and more than make up for all the years of paying COG dues when I didn't ride.

Finally, does anyone have any experience with the H9 equivalent LED bulbs?? Worth it?

Again, any hints, suggestions, encouragement, and/or warnings would be much appreciated.

I suggest you contact Murph, or mebbe Hella directly..

But, I have a question. Do you have 1 High beam and 1 low beam?
If so, I'd think I'd go to the new LED's and have 2 beams in each bulb.
Then a low or high beam failure in 1 bulb, still leaves 1 low or high..

Last edited:
I have the Murph's dual head light kit in mine and I found that the light that burns out the most is the low beam.

The easiest way I found to change it is to come in from the top, with the handle bars all the way over to the right. I can do it by feel now, since most of the time I only notice it burned out at night. I am on the right hand side (throttle side) facing toward the rear of the bike.

I then slip my right hand and feel for the connector and un hook it. To un-hook it you will need to squeeze the sides of the connector. This will move the locking tabs on the side out of way and you then pull down to disconnect.

The base of the bulb is in the 6 o clock position when locked into the housing. Twist it to a 4 o clock position to remove it. (and and then reverse the procedure to put the new bulb back in). It helps to do this first in the day light since you can see what you are doing looking through the handle bars. After some practice, you can do it by feel and not have to be concerned changing it out at night.

To do the high bulb I am now on the clutch side facing toward the rear using my left hand. The bulb twists out the same way.

Usually the low beam bulb lasts about 2 years, putting on an average of 7,000 miles a year.

The low and high beam are both H9 bulbs, so you can move the high beam over to the low beam if you don't have a spare.

I have tried HID bulbs, but the reflectors didn't match up and had less light. I have not tired LED bulbs, but I suspect they may have the same issue that the reflectors won't match up as well as the regular H9 bulb.

To me, the low beam was better than the regular head lamp, but the high beam did not illuminate the side of the road as well, so I put in a couple of the bug lights mounted on the mirrors.

The you tube is for a C14. He has (as do I) the light set up that Murph use to sell for the C10.

Last edited:
I too am clawing my way back after breaking my hip/body/mind when I was forced to tag an SUV on my Bagger @ 50 mph 7 years ago, I left myself a plausible trajectory and it worked. I feel your pain moving Connie around, but she’s quite lean compared to the cruiser I crashed. Still, it takes muscle that I just haven’t had until now. I walk with a cane sometimes, and I’m not much for walking more than I need to, but I know I need to build muscle. Riding alone I know will help to build muscle as I relearn those subtle riding skills. Still, I’m embarking on some strength training exercises to try to prepare myself for a run at some serious saddle time again, before I crashed I enjoyed 35,000 miles in 18 months. Keep the faith brother, know you are not alone. 🤘🏻

What is it COG says?? - "Join for the bike. Stay for the people." Worth thirty-five bucks a year. I don't have any trouble handling the 650 Nighthawk but if I'm honest with myself, even after relearning those subtle riding skills, the additional 150 pounds of Concours amount to pushing the envelope for me. Which is a bummer because, I've gotten used to a fairing and Rifle windshield "system." Sorry to hear a crash took you out. I had the "good fortune" of just getting old and stuff going wrong. As I indicated in my original post, I'm riding my Concours again and I love it when I do. But it's scary, not necessarily because I'm too old to ride, but because I'm too old to crash. If I had your unfortunate experience at this point in my life, I'm afraid it would be tough to gin it up to come back yet again. It's different once you are forced to come to grips with the fact that you not immortal. Unfortunately, it's becoming increasingly apparent that at some point it's no longer simply a matter of will power. I'm not ready for a Cushman yet but I can see the day of returning full circle to the 360 - (my first bike was a 1968 CL350). I don't know how old you are but I hope that you have the mental and physical wherewithal to eventually get back to pre-crash condition and enjoy another 35,000 miles. FWIW: I had a bone marrow stem cell transplant at 59 and successfully worked my way back to doing some serious saddle time myself until my damn hip got too bunged up to lift my leg up onto the foot peg. I'm back in the saddle again but it's clearly a losing battle. Thanks for sharing your experience and your support, but having followed the COG demographic for over twenty years, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. My father in law was 85 and still sharp and active (although not riding a Concours) when he said, "Bill, the golden years suck!" Hey, any of you 50 year-old COG whippersnappers out there want to buy a mint-condition, road trip ready 2006 Connie with only 0,000 miles (it's a long story but it's my third Concours) and of course a Hella dual-beam headlight kit??

I have the Murph's dual head light kit in mine and I found that the light that burns out the most is the low beam.

The easiest way I found to change it is to come in from the top, with the handle bars all the way over to the right. I can do it by feel now, since most of the time I only notice it burned out at night. I am on the right hand side (throttle side) facing toward the rear of the bike.

I then slip my right hand and feel for the connector and un hook it. To un-hook it you will need to squeeze the sides of the connector. This will move the locking tabs on the side out of way and you then pull down to disconnect.

The base of the bulb is in the 6 o clock position when locked into the housing. Twist it to a 4 o clock position to remove it. (and and then reverse the procedure to put the new bulb back in). It helps to do this first in the day light since you can see what you are doing looking through the handle bars. After some practice, you can do it by feel and not have to be concerned changing it out at night.

To do the high bulb I am now on the clutch side facing toward the rear using my left hand. The bulb twists out the same way.

Usually the low beam bulb lasts about 2 years, putting on an average of 7,000 miles a year.

The low and high beam are both H9 bulbs, so you can move the high beam over to the low beam if you don't have a spare.

I have tried HID bulbs, but the reflectors didn't match up and had less light. I have not tired LED bulbs, but I suspect they may have the same issue that the reflectors won't match up as well as the regular H9 bulb.

To me, the low beam was better than the regular head lamp, but the high beam did not illuminate the side of the road as well, so I put in a couple of the bug lights mounted on the mirrors.

The you tube is for a C14. He has (as do I) the light set up that Murph use to sell for the C10.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. Most helpful one I got.

What is it COG says?? - "Join for the bike. Stay for the people." Worth thirty-five bucks a year. I don't have any trouble handling the 650 Nighthawk but if I'm honest with myself, even after relearning those subtle riding skills, the additional 150 pounds of Concours amount to pushing the envelope for me. Which is a bummer because, I've gotten used to a fairing and Rifle windshield "system." Sorry to hear a crash took you out. I had the "good fortune" of just getting old and stuff going wrong. As I indicated in my original post, I'm riding my Concours again and I love it when I do. But it's scary, not necessarily because I'm too old to ride, but because I'm too old to crash. If I had your unfortunate experience at this point in my life, I'm afraid it would be tough to gin it up to come back yet again. It's different once you are forced to come to grips with the fact that you not immortal. Unfortunately, it's becoming increasingly apparent that at some point it's no longer simply a matter of will power. I'm not ready for a Cushman yet but I can see the day of returning full circle to the 360 - (my first bike was a 1968 CL350). I don't know how old you are but I hope that you have the mental and physical wherewithal to eventually get back to pre-crash condition and enjoy another 35,000 miles. FWIW: I had a bone marrow stem cell transplant at 59 and successfully worked my way back to doing some serious saddle time myself until my damn hip got too bunged up to lift my leg up onto the foot peg. I'm back in the saddle again but it's clearly a losing battle. Thanks for sharing your experience and your support, but having followed the COG demographic for over twenty years, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. My father in law was 85 and still sharp and active (although not riding a Concours) when he said, "Bill, the golden years suck!" Hey, any of you 50 year-old COG whippersnappers out there want to buy a mint-condition, road trip ready 2006 Connie with only 0,000 miles (it's a long story but it's my third Concours) and of course a Hella dual-beam headlight kit??
Whoa you have a concours with zero miles on it?
and although the aches and pains of getting old does suck i prefer that to the alternative😏

Whoa you have a concours with zero miles on it?
and although the aches and pains of getting old does suck i prefer that to the alternative😏

Don't know how the "1" got lost. It was there at some point.

Aches and pains come with the territory, and I'm with you... they are clearly preferable to the "alternative." By now, I've even come to terms with the "alternative." But I'm still working on not being able to ride anymore.