• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Arctic Ocean thru COG NW Region

ADVTRACKER

On a month long trip to the Arctic Ocean to Tuktoyaktuk if I make it.  Left the Tacoma, WA area June 14th.  Bought and outfitted a Triumph Tiger 800 XCA for the task. 

Wish me luck.  Trip will contain about 1500 - 2000 miles of off road.  Made Prudhoe Bay seven years ago, so hopefully 2 for 2.

Joe Siegel

Attachments

• Arctic Ocean again 2018.jpeg
    Arctic Ocean again 2018.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 130
Be careful out there, and have a blast! Life is never better than when you're out of your comfort zone. :beerchug:

I looked at doing that ride with a friend, but couldn't fit it in my schedule. It should be a blast, even though the roads are terrible.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I looked at doing that ride with a friend, but couldn't fit it in my schedule. It should be a blast, even though the roads are terrible.

Up until last fall there wasn’t even a road to Tuk unless you went in the winter. New road now. Have a fri3nd who is in Tuk today. Said road was fine.

Well, I made it.  The Dempster highway is a nightmare as soon as it starts raining.  Dawson City to Eagle Plains good weather.  Eagle Plains to Inuvik mud and more mud.  I saw one crash, and heard about several more.  Inuvik to Tuk and back on the third day weather was OK but they dug up the road and poured fresh Calcium Chloride all over it and we barely made it through that area.  Fourth day Inuvik to Eagle Plains weather OK.  Last day was a total nightmare.  Tons of rain and deep mud.  I have no idea how I kept the bike upright.  Countless times I was sure I was going down that second.  But my buddy and I made it back to Dawson City after helping pull another bike out of a ditch.  Many bikers were stranded in Eagle Plains (smarter than me), the day we made it out as the rooms are booked all summer.  More reports filtering out down to Dawson about busted shoulders, one busted Pelvis, airlifts out and crashed bikes on wreckers.
Another day of dirt Faro, YT to Watson Lake, YT with passable weather and conditions.  Now in Grand Prairie, AB.  Three days to go.  My Aussie buddy left for the Maritimes this morning so back solo.  Getting the 2nd (yes 2nd) tire change done at a dealer, then have to slap in new pads and degrease the chain in the hotel parking lot.  Was going to change the air filter  as I saw the condition of my buddy's, but according to youtube that looks like more than I'm ready to take on in a hotel parking lot in the pouring rain.  :)
Mixed reviews on the Tiger.
Lots of pics on Facebook, too many to post here.   
All in all, an incredible experience, but if it rains, yee haw.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.siegel.55

Wow.  hope to hear more of it after you rest!

WingCon said:
Lots of pics on Facebook, too many to post here.   

Some of us aren't on FB.  Maybe a handful of photos for COG forum?

Pics of the trip.  Table is us celebrating after being some of the few to make it out of Eagle Plains and back to Dawson City.  I've still got food in front of me 'cause I was still in a bit of shock.  :-\

Attachments

• IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 128
Thanks for sharing your most awesome experience.  :beerchug: Can’t imagine what you saw and went through. Makes sport touring on well paved and potholed sweepers look safe and simple.