• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Are most COG members ATGATT?

pslshawn

I know COG prides itself on being a safe rider and does a great job promoting that message, but I'd be curious to hear some candid feedback from folks around the country that deal with temp. extremes (particularly on the hot side) and whether they sometimes sacrifice protection to avoid dehydration, heat exhaustion, or worse. I'm not talking LD riding to rallies and such, but rather folks that commute 30, 40 or so miles to work or just joy riding.   

We (wife and I) are ATGATT 95% of the time; 100% of the time when temps are <85 degrees. I confess I recently started wearing Kevlar lined jeans or Kevlar lined khaki's for short trips or on the Goldwing.  Gloves, boots, modular helmets 100% of the time regardless.

I do not handle heat as well as I did when I was younger, maybe because I spend so much time in A/C. Sometimes, it's just too hot (for me) to ride in full gear so I don't or I don't ride at all. Georgia is not Florida, but pretty close in the summer time regarding heat and humidity.

Yes, all the time. Even on a lunch run from work, around the block to for a 'test run', whenever I ride a bike; they call them accidents for a reason, not scheduled appointments.  :-\
Wearing the gear helps keep the sun off your skin so you don't get hot (relatively speaking). Armored mesh gear probably 9 months out of the year down here in sunny Sarasota, FL, full textile with ventilation features/liners the other months of the year. Camelback hydration backpack for extended road trips to stay hydrated.

My mantra is when its 90+ out, 90+ humidity, it's hot no matter what you are wearing, tank top and shorts, or mesh riding gear. But at least with mesh riding gear, the sweat stays put and sorta cools ya for a second or two when the air starts flowing. Plus, sweat washes off in the shower, road rash,,,,not so much.

I also convert to a cut down shield  for my C10, run it March'ish thru November'ish (unless traveling on a long road trip) to increase upper body air flow and the Baker Air Wings on the mid and lower fairing.

Plus, like Ron said, some times it is just too dang hot to ride the bike. Sometimes during the summer only early morning or early evening is bearable. Living on the coast, we at least get the sea breeze in the afternoon that helps cool things down after the sun has passed it's zenith for the day.

Agree with Vic. On the C-14, I ride with the shield all the way down with Klim full mesh jacket and Heatout shirt, usually shorts (Cyclegear). If riding more than 30 minutes, I have a tankbag with ice&water. Got to figure out something else on the "Wing because the "tank shelter" is plastic. May have to resurrect the Camelback. Good to dump water down your neck for moistening evap, too.

I'm experimenting with a very thin, knit neck gaiter this year to keep the sun off my neck. We had some of those as giveaways at the Spring Rally but I had already bought a hi-viz version from Amazon. Can't have too much of that! I'm frankly worried that my "red neck" history of sunburned neck skin will turn into something worse if I keep abusing it in the sun.

I also have discovered that wicking sock liners normally used for hiking, pull the moisture away from my feet and keep them dry. They're not cheap, but I had them left over from hiking. The ones with silver embedded in the threads are best.

I live here in Jacksonville, Florida and I do wear gear.  I don't have the riding pants but I do use everything else.  I'd rather be safe than sorry even in the heat.  Now if it gets too hot, I won't ride.  But I don't sacrifice safety for comfort.

Irene

Confession:
I grew up and started riding in a different time, before helmets and riding gear were at all common.  My one change is that I now always ride with a helmet and long pants.  Other than that I dress mostly for comfort, adding a leather jacket as the temp goes below about 60, a rain suit when needed, and boots when necessary for either rain or cold.
Yes, I realize it's less safe, but after 53 years I'm not likely to change much, and I accept the added risk.

My favorite picture of me  is @ 20 years old, wearing cut off ragged jean shorts, blue suede sneaks with no shoes, school t-shirt, long(ish) hair, mustache, and rakish smile on my brand new 1978 Honda Hawk CB400 (retail price $995). 

Yes, I fell once and it made a mark.  :-[ 

NOW, I'm almost always ATGATT. Most of the above is gone along with the red cape. The mustache is grey but the smile remains!  ;)

Henderson NV. Full atgatt. Stich 100% of the time. LD comfort under garments. Soaked with water thoroughly when the temps are above 100 deg. Zipped up tight except for cuffs. Reach out and get some breeze. Only suffer when stopped but 20 seconds is all it takes to shed. It's a dry heat though. Humidity sux's. Whole different story there.  :beerchug:

I wear ATGATT all the time.  If I'm going a couple miles to a store, I put it all on.  I think I'd feel really dumb telling my wife that I left it home or in the luggage when I'm laying in a hospital bed and have road rash on myself.

I have a pastor who cracked (broke?) a couple ribs on his first ride of the season.  At first, he was rather vague about the details.  I'm imagining he was cut off by a cage driver turning left in front of him and the bike slid out on the pavement.  He finally admitted that he dropped the bike at the end of his driveway when he gave it some gas.  Not a mile or two down the road, but at the end of his driveway.  I figure I can do dumb things too, and don't want to put up with the pain of recovery at my advanced age.  ;)

I wear a Hit-Air airbag vest.  A member of another forum with a lot more experience than I went straight when the road curved.  He doesn't know why.  He had no head injuries.  No road rash.  But he had something like 17 broken bones in his rib cage...and a crushed vertebrae and a fractured vertebrae.  For the first couple months, they didn't know if he would live.  He could've probably have walked away from the accident with an air bag vest.  They aren't cheap, but the first night in the emergency room pays for it.

I rode about 7000 miles last summer in a few weeks.  Temps were in the 90s and above 100 many days.  An inexpensive cooling vest from Cycle Gear made it seem like I had air-conditioning on.

Chris

ATGATT 99.9%. The only rare exception will be jeans with kevlar instead of full on riding pants. For high temps I also add a cooling vest.

Thanks guys/gals, just the feedback I was looking for. :great:

I commute from Port Saint Lucie to Sebastian 2x/week on average and I do it 99% on Connie.  It is almost 50 mi and a good 35 of that is fighting the cagers and truckers on a bad stretch of construction-infested 95.  Although I always, always wear either full face or modular, gloves, armored mesh pants and boots, I'm not so good about my jacket. I most often wear a hi-viz climacool long sleeve over a cotton long sleeve.  Not much good for sliding on the pavement! :-[  No excuses!  I need to get a cooling vest, but then that's just one more thing to put on, take off, etc...ugh.

I was never a ATGATT rider. Always a helmet, usually jeans and as long as it wasn't too hot a jacket.  Then this happened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbMdFTB4zt0. Because it was winter I had most of my gear on. The only thing I didn't have were a pair of good riding pants. I only had a pair of Levi's on and I paid for it. VERY lucky I only had 2 2" diameter road rashes on my knees. Now I am ATGATT in the heat and cold.

I try to be but having no luck with summer pants, three pairs bought and returned, going to get measured and buy some MotoPort!

I have a riding friend who is a nurse.  He used to work at the Harbor View hospital, the local trauma center.  He's seen a lot of people on the operating table.  I've seen only a couple pictures.  That's enough for me.

Chris

It's all great fun..........until it isn't. This is one of those things where we don't get a second chance. If your ATGATT good for you, if you're not it's to late to change your mind once airborne. The .1% I spoke of was the only time I've ever crashed on a public road, after hitting an animal in a blind S curve. Still carrying the scars on both knees from wearing Levi's.
  What's really mind boggling to me is seeing a guy in full gear on a crotch rocket with his girlfriend on the back in shorts, halter and sandals. Even at just 5 - 10 mph she will carry the scars for life. Remember, your passenger has even less chance of walking away after a crash than you do. Motorcycles have a higher risk of injury than cars. That's part of their appeal. How many riders have researched what to do during an impending crash verses blindly hoping for the best or "I don't plan to crash"? You must decide in a hurry. What about your passenger? Ever discuss what to do if you fall over in a parking lot or at speed? All food for thought.

Ride hard, ride safe, ride your own ride.  :great:

I wasn't ATGATT growing up. Helmet was always on, and jeans and boots. Somewhere out there may be a photo of me riding in the desert with no shirt, throttle locked at around 70 and feet on the handlebars leaning back on my sleeping bag. (Car passed and passenger took a shot of me). I was in my early 20's. I met my wife and we started riding with real gear (I never did go with the pants). Saved us almost 5 years ago. I may never ride again, but I am alive. She still rides (and unfortunately got to test all her new gear again with a deer hit, but was fine). Strongly believe the rider has a choice on what to wear, but can't say I always understand it.
Heck, just thinking, when I raced motocross, we wore the boots, pants and gloves and helmet, but just a nylon jersey!

FTB530 said:
I try to be but having no luck with summer pants, three pairs bought and returned, going to get measured and buy some MotoPort!

I have always worn ATGATT and thank heaven above that I had Alpinestars jacket, Olympia Pants, touring boots and my helmet on when a car pulled out in front of me.

After a helicopter ride 50 miles to the trauma center, 9 days in a coma and many screws and plates in my lower extremities I won't go for a ride without gear. Motoport kevlar mesh is way cooler than anything I have ever owned and is really easy to get in and out of, Forma Adventure boots and Shoei helmet. Wayne sent me the newest edition of the Motoport gloves which are awesome. Since I use my hands for my profession I can't say enough about the gloves and the quality.

freebird6 said:
FTB530 said:

I have always worn ATGATT and thank heaven above that I had Alpinestars jacket, Olympia Pants, touring boots and my helmet on when a car pulled out in front of me.

After a helicopter ride 50 miles to the trauma center, 9 days in a coma and many screws and plates in my lower extremities I won't go for a ride without gear. Motoport kevlar mesh is way cooler than anything I have ever owned and is really easy to get in and out of, Forma Adventure boots and Shoei helmet. Wayne sent me the newest edition of the Motoport gloves which are awesome. Since I use my hands for my profession I can't say enough about the gloves and the quality.
I like Olympia gear, just returned a pair of pants though, didn’t like how they fit, I had on a Olympia MotoQuest when I was rear ended and wasn’t a mark on me I believe because of the quality and protection of the jacket and Shoei.

I am 100% of the time ...unless not. Riding  in a kilt to dinner does not likely count, or helmet-less to breakfast 1/4 mile away in Idaho is cockerels but I have done it.

FTB530 said:
I like Olympia gear, just returned a pair of pants though, didn’t like how they fit, I had on a Olympia MotoQuest when I was rear ended and wasn’t a mark on me I believe because of the quality and protection of the jacket and Shoei.

Since the accident I have been in Motoport.

Put on a pair of Olympia pants and a Bilt jacket a couple of weeks ago to go a short way over to an event where I did not want to try and pack the Motoport into a saddlebag. Felt better than a pair of Levis on a short trip but I miss the Motoport when I ride with anything else anymore. Weird....but I like the breathability and the security these days.

100% ATGATT 100% of the time. It paid off once, early last season when I was enjoying a ride on my 454. Rain clouds began forming on an otherwise sunny day so headed it back to the garage trying to beat the rain.

The roads were dry, until I came up on a spot that had just been rained on, on a sharp curve. Slowed for the turn I've taken dozens of times, set up, rolled on a little throttle, and ran out of traction as the front wheel washed out and the bike lowsided before I knew what happened. Ended up skidding on hands and knees for about 20 feet. No injuries thanks to the armored gear and good gloves.

Rode the bike the rest of the way home and straightened the triple tree. My shoulder was sore the next day, but at least I wasn't picking rocks out of my palms and kneecaps. Without the gear, I probably would have faceplanted instead of skidding in an all fours position.

As one who lives in the Phoenix, Az area, and rides ATGATT "all the time", I have to share something I've found. A few years ago, I got a "Phase-change" cooling vest, that freezes at 58 degrees F, which made a big difference in summer riding. BTW, I wear Motoport mesh jacket and pants, leather gloves, and of course a helmet. After a few years, one of the pouches of phase change goo started leaking, so I replaced the whole deal with a different brand - Polar Products, who make the same 58 degree packs, but also water-based 32 degree monsters, which I decided I just had to try. I wear the cooling vest on top of a very thin nylon wind vest, on top of my regular shirt, all under the Motoport jacket. I can't believe how much more comfortable this setup makes my 25 mile commute. today it was 95 degrees on the ride home, and after 30 minutes, when I got home and took off my helmet, my hair wasn't even sweaty. Since this approach doesn't rely on evaporation, I'm thinking it would probably work as well in high humidity climates.

Old Steve said:
Polar Products, who make the same 58 degree packs, but also water-based 32 degree monsters, which I decided I just had to try. .

So were the good results from the 58 or 32 degree packs?

One of the tips I found last summer to using a cooling vest, is to limit airflow to it.  The more airflow to it, the faster it dries out.

I was more than a little concerned last summer about the heat I would encounter on my travels outside Washington state.  I live on the wet side, not the dry side.  A hot day is when it hits 80F.  I had only ridden a few times in 90+F heat, and that for only a few hours at a time.  The thought of traveling for weeks in temps I hadn't prepared properly for, was not cool.  And since I'd be traveling with someone else on the first trip, I didn't want to hold things up.  SoundRider! has a number of good articles on riding in temps over 93F, some written by David Hough.  The thyroid can't cope with temps above 93F and the air hitting your body, actually heats it up instead of cooling it down.

So my solution was to buy one of the Heat Out long sleeve t-shirts and the cooling vest from Cycle Gear.  The Heat Out t-shirt kept the hot wind from hitting my skin directly.  The cooling vest did its thing.  I wore this with an Olympia mesh jacket, but had an air bag vest over that.  The air bag vest blocks air from coming through the jacket some.  So while I had air coming through the jacket, it wasn't as much as it could've been.

I stopped at a rest stop in Wyoming, I think.  It was hot in any case.  Probably right around 100F.  There was a couple on their bikes that I talked with.  She said their more expensive cooling vests had dried out in 30 minutes in the heat.  But then, they were wearing full mesh jackets.  Lots of hot air coming through them.  Mine was still cooling me for 3 hours that afternoon.

The point is that if you're on a trip where you have a lot of exposure to this kind of heat, you actually want to limit somewhat, the air flowing through the outer jacket to the cooling vest. 

Chris

"Old Steve", I like the idea.
Can you tell us which Phase Change Cooling vest you have?
I did a search and found many brands and prices.
I think I like the Polar Products Vest, but I saw 1 on Amazon for far less $$.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
"Old Steve", I like the idea.
Can you tell us which Phase Change Cooling vest you have?
I did a search and found many brands and prices.
I think I like the Polar Products Vest, but I saw 1 on Amazon for far less $$.

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Ted,
I got the one they call:
Adjustable Zipper Cooling Vest with (4) Long Kool Max® Pack Strips
I've had a chance to wear it a few days when it was over 100F, and it really makes a difference. Like someone else said, it's best to limit airflow over this type of vest, because it does not rely on evaporation. More breeze just means more hot.

Thanks Steve.
I'm thinking I need one of those.
Unfortunately the National is in just a few days. Going as is.

Ride safe, Ted

I did a 19 day, 19 state ride last August, and most days were blazing hot by 11am. Up to the mid-80's I wore leather. Jacket is vintage 1980 cowhide with a heavy quilted lining(old school). Had luck avoiding rain, and wore leather chaps. Also carry leather pants for if I have to ride in heavy rain. Unfortunately(or maybe fortunately), the pants and jacket have been tested, and proved adequate. When I strip the leather, I wear jeans and a long-sleeved light-colored cotton shirt. Button up is better for neck protection from the sun. Had a problem with my sleeves riding up my arm a bit, exposing a two-inch area on my wrist to the sun. Solved that problem with a couple strips of Velcro wrapped around my sleeves. If I wanted to ride NAKED I would still have leather boots, leather gloves, and a good brain-bucket, always.
By the way, all 19 states except Wisconsin were west of the Mississippi River, and although I rode on some wet road, I never had to ride in the rain. I found out that if you want to ride the interstate across SD you better plan on a steady 90 mph plus for about 400 miles. And there are some pretty roads in southern Utah and CO.

Yes ATGATT, I used to be the too cool guy in a t-shirt thank God nothing went wrong back then.
I have sence found that full gear can be cooler to ride in than jeans and a t. My gear is low end but well vented it keeps the sun off my skin and helps my sweat actually cool me temps over 80° LD Comfort base layer wet makes the great seem air conditioned. One day a guy on a cruiser wearing a tshirt stopped next to me at a light and asked "aren't you hot in that stuff?"
I replied no quite comfortable, he gave a puzzled look and the light changed  :rotflmao:

Great feedback guys, much appreciated. :great:

How many of you that ride a 2 pc. suit zipper them together?  I don't, and my one gear fear it a feet first slide and the jacket riding up.  has that happened to anyone?

I'm looking at getting a 1 pc. and be done with it.  Then I can't wear one without the other. :-[  I'm interested in opinions on the R-3, R-3 light and classic.  Thinking about the light for so. fla., but still want the protection of classic.

It rarely crosses my mind to zip the two pieces together.

I have been wearing Olympia gear for years now, and while the gear can be zipped together, I just don't.  Maybe I'll try it later today.  I cinch my pants up pretty well.  They may slide down, but not that much.  And my jackets are all 3/4 length, so they may slide up some, but not much.  The only time I think I'd get my back or stomach exposed is if my lower half was sliding one direction, and the upper half was sliding the opposite direction.  If that continued too long, there'd be a bigger problem than road rash.

I also use a Hit-Air airbag vest.  That'll help keep things in place when it deploys.

Chris

I wear jacket, helmet, gloves, military steel toed Bates Boots, and jeans. And a lot of life insurance.

Has anyone tried kevlar jeans and if so do you like them?

I do a lot of commuting and work in an industry where it can be difficult to stay clean enough to put the gear on at the end of the day. At first gearing up and down is a little bit of a hassle but the practice of just doing it makes it routine in short order. The toughest part of ATGATT is just making the decision to do it.
As mentioned above one of the biggest hurtles I have had to jump is staying clean enough throughout the day as to not ruin my gear putting it on for my return trip. For the times the times my street clothes become too soiled to put my gear over or those really hot days I keep a complete set of LD base layer in my tank bag and this keeps the inside of my gear much cleaner.  On days that it is really hot I will change into the LD base layer as well only I wet it down before gearing up and that makes for a very comfortable ride home. I use the same long sleeve turtleneck and leotard LD Comfort base layer year around it keeps me warm in the cold and cool in the heat. ATGATT can be more comfortable in any weather than not, good base layer isn't cheap but when teamed with well chosen gear it will not only bring comfort to your ride it will extend the service life of your expensive gear.  :great:

ConcoursKZ said:
I wear jacket, helmet, gloves, military steel toed Bates Boots, and jeans. And a lot of life insurance.

Isn't their a kevlar mesh suit? Seagiant1 extolled the virtues of it Man, I miss Seagiant1...........

Diz said:
ConcoursKZ said:

Isn't their a kevlar mesh suit? Seagiant1 extolled the virtues of it Man, I miss Seagiant1...........

What happened to Seagiant? Did I miss something?

Diz said:
The Kevlar fiber gear was from Motoport
http://www.motoport.com/

Haaven't seen a post from Seagiant1 in quite some time; that's why I miss him.

Love my Motoport

Harley guys always ask "aren't you hot?" when we stop. I hold it up so they can see through it and ask if they would be hot if they were wearing a screen door. Actually cooler with the moisture than they are with doodoo rags and sleeveless cut off Tshirts as their arms and necks slowly get redder as the ride goes on. Much under 68 degrees and I am diving in the bags for a long sleeve shirt though....that stuff gets chilly fast after a long day in the sun

ConcoursKZ said:

I have yet to find a pair of jeans that will fit me because of my height.  I'm 5' tall and the ones I've tried are for taller people.  I've given up and so I ride with jeans.  I know Jorge would like me to wear something more protective but I'm fine with the jeans. 

Irene

We are about 95% ATGATT, the 5% is wearing Kevlar Jeans but still wearing helmet, gloves, jacket and boots.

On long trips I wear a camel back with a 2 liter bladder, we fill it up it up with water and ice in the morning and ice it down at lunch. Helps keep us hydrated on longer trips. Also, started wearing a multi functional head gear / neck gaiter around my neck which I will soak with cold water at gas stops.

We also wear cycle gear Heat Out leggings under our riding pants and long sleeve wicking shirts under our jackets.

We are usually fine as long as we are moving, but once you get in stop and go traffic or an urban environment with heavy traffic, you will heat up. I've been know to pour water over my head and on my upper body and then gear up and go. It helps cool you down for a while.

funsize said:
ConcoursKZ said:

I have yet to find a pair of jeans that will fit me because of my height.  I'm 5' tall and the ones I've tried are for taller people.  I've given up and so I ride with jeans.  I know Jorge would like me to wear something more protective but I'm fine with the jeans. 

Irene

The motoport gear is expensive compared to off the rack apparel. But Irene, it is custom made to your size. The website shows a $200 pair of Kevlar fiber pants with a 4 year warranty. Says it looks like jeans. Might be worth your while to investigate. I once took a slide on asphalt (roller blade related) that left my jeans intact but took off 4 square inches of skin. Kevin from LI related a story where his jeans also remained intact on a slide but also lost skin........

The motoport gear is expensive compared to...
A couple years ago, I bought a Hit-Air airbag vest.  Like the Motoport gear, some would say that is expensive at over $500.  My wife had no issues with the family coming up with the money for it. 

Compare whatever cost it takes to get protective riding gear with one nights stay in the Emergency Room.  Or, weeks and months of healing.  It quickly becomes dirt cheap.

Chris

Diz said:
funsize said:
ConcoursKZ said:

Irene

The motoport gear is expensive compared to off the rack apparel. But Irene, it is custom made to your size. The website shows a $200 pair of Kevlar fiber pants with a 4 year warranty. Says it looks like jeans. Might be worth your while to investigate. I once took a slide on asphalt (roller blade related) that left my jeans intact but took off 4 square inches of skin. Kevin from LI related a story where his jeans also remained intact on a slide but also lost skin........

Thanks for the info.  I'll look into it.

Irene

Rode out to the coast this weekend and broke from ATGATT. When we left on Friday after work it was 92° out so I wet down my LD Comfort base layer before gearing up I used more water than normal and did my lower body as well, I was very comfortable when we left.
About 2/3 of the way as we neared the coast the temperature dropped about 30° and the water on my lower body with help from gravity and my wicking socks found its way into my boots.
At this point I was freezing and wet where I didn't intend to be and we where tenting  it so other than my jacket I was unable to get my gear dry until our return trip so all my around town riding had to be done in my jeans and hiking boots. Lesson learned! Nevertheless I was a very enjoyable time and met some great people.

ATGATT for me.  The Hit-Air Jacket I have now does a great job moving air through it, better than my last
mesh jacket.  Riding pants are necessary anytime on the C-10, or my lower legs cook.  I'll confess I don't
always ride with 'riding boots', but I always have a steel tipped work boot on at least.

In Florida, the cruiser life style often shows the older aren't always the wiser, but each person
must assess the risks, and decide on his/her own.  When I ride with a local cruiser group the
discussion comes up occasionally, and I don't preach or criticize...  but I defend my choices,
and it's usually a courteous discussion. 

Some quotes from Neil Peart from Rush: (GS Rider)

"I would never ride, even just around town, without full protective gear on. We could go back to what I was saying before about how a good training course sets you up from the beginning with a responsibility to yourself. When I see someone improperly dressed, wearing shorts and a T-shirt, I see it as a failure of imagination. They can't imagine what can happen. I cringe, because I can imagine what can happen to them and they seem unable to."

"To me it’s simple: I don’t like pain. That might sound self-evident, but to me, it’s the No. 1 evil in the world; the second is fear;
and the third is worry. I try to avoid all of those as much as I can—especially pain."  <---  Very similar to my ATGATT Mantra..

It has been rather warm lately in rainy Seattle. Despite all that, I still wear my 2in1 riding jacket.
Riding boots is a must. Riding gloves (roper style) is a must.

Remember overheating is just as dangerous as hypothermia. Once stop sweating, it means body is overheated!
Seek cover, hydrate and rest.

Again, great feedback, thanks guys.

On the way back from the SE BTH, I hit the typical afternoon bursts and got soaked.  I was ATGATT with my IXS textile suit (well-vented) and didn't bother with the rain suit.  It dries fast and provides moisture on my climacool base layers.  Riding in the (usually) warm SE, this works for me without getting too cold.

One realization I did come to during the 750 m. is that wet gloves s__k!  Fortunately I knew I would get (real) wet at some point, so I took every pair I own...changed them 4 times.

Are wet gloves the first to get changed with most of you?

Have a question for the AGTATT crowd. btw, I am mostly, I wore jeans and didn't wear a back protector, neck roll or air vest. What I wonder is, how many of you wear either a 3/4 or modular helmet? And do you feel either makes you as safe as a full face. I still don't trust modulars, and since I see no modulars on the Snell 2015 list and DOT does not do a chin bar test, and I can't believe (In my little and damaged mind) that they are as safe. Again, going from my past, my Shoei chin bar cracked in an accident. If it had broken off, it, and possibly my lower jaw, would have been in my throat.gear for riding bikes. My wife is FF helmet, boots, gloves, Jacket and riding pants. I was FF helmet, t-shirt, jeans and boots until I met her. (On the street Racing I was all the gear, but then, I didn't wear a seatbelt in a car, but my race cars had 5 point harness) She got me always wearing the jacket and gloves also. Jacket saved my hide on the street.

Rain Dancer said:
Have a question for the AGTATT crowd. btw, I am mostly, I wore jeans and didn't wear a back protector, neck roll or air vest. What I wonder is, how many of you wear either a 3/4 or modular helmet? And do you feel either makes you as safe as a full face. I still don't trust modulars, and since I see no modulars on the Snell 2015 list and DOT does not do a chin bar test, and I can't believe (In my little and damaged mind) that they are as safe. Again, going from my past, my Shoei chin bar cracked in an accident. If it had broken off, it, and possibly my lower jaw, would have been in my throat.gear for riding bikes. My wife is FF helmet, boots, gloves, Jacket and riding pants. I was FF helmet, t-shirt, jeans and boots until I met her. (On the street Racing I was all the gear, but then, I didn't wear a seatbelt in a car, but my race cars had 5 point harness) She got me always wearing the jacket and gloves also. Jacket saved my hide on the street.

I have an HJC FF with a smoked FS that I don't switch out with clear FS, so I only use it riding locally and obviously not after dark.

I also have a shoei neotech (modular) that I always wear when touring. Reason is it has the slide-down smoked visor and is quieter than the HJC, so it works for me during all riding hours.

Regarding safety, I have also heard numerous times that modulars are not as safe as FF.  The Jennings track does not allow modulars for this reason.

I wear the modular more out of convenience, and figure a modular lid is better than no lid at all.  I could probably be persuaded if I saw conclusive evidence.

I went to Modulars over 10 years ago. Like Shawn I currently have the Shoei Neotec.
While I agree that they are not as safe as full coverage, they are better than the original modular that were offered, and are pretty tough.
I feel that the convenience of the modular makes it worth the slight risk.

My personal {ATGATT} is boots, gloves, helmet, mesh jacket, and mesh pants.
      I know that others will disagree {and suggest I forgot XXX}. 
      I mention it to show that everyone has a different value for ATGATT..

Differing values; 
                    Some feel you need to dress like your going to a race every time you get on the bike.
                        ie; Everything you can put on in the best gear you can buy...
                    Some feel jeans and a T shirt are all the gear.
                            ie; {as they aren't wearing their shorts and flip flops}
                    Some, {like me} are comfortable with less than "all and the best", but want more than "the minimum"..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I went to Modulars over 10 years ago. Like Shawn I currently have the Shoei Neotec.
While I agree that they are not as safe as full coverage, they are better than the original modular that were offered, and are pretty tough.
I feel that the convenience of the modular makes it worth the slight risk.

My personal {ATGATT} is boots, gloves, helmet, mesh jacket, and mesh pants.
      I know that others will disagree {and suggest I forgot XXX}. 
      I mention it to show that everyone has a different value for ATGATT..

Differing values; 
                    Some feel you need to dress like your going to a race every time you get on the bike.
                        ie; Everything you can put on in the best gear you can buy...
                    Some feel jeans and a T shirt are all the gear.
                            ie; {as they aren't wearing their shorts and flip flops}
                    Some, {like me} are comfortable with less than all and the best, but more than the minimum..

Ride safe, Ted

I'm confused, what does riding gear have to do with your porn collection??

Sorry Ted, I'm not usually one of the smart a__es in the bunch, but I couldn't resist.

Geez, why is everyone always pickin' on me.
  I try to slip in a little XXX "alkyhawl" into the discussion and ya'll accuse me of introducin' porn.  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Shawn, I have my ways of gettin' even.  :nananana:
          Ron, photo's??

Rain Dancer said:
I wear a modular helmet although a true statement that there isn't any modulars with SNELL ratings many open face do and a modular is safe than the open. The ratings are funny,  I drag race and here in Washington anyway the helmet I wear at the track is reqired SNELL'S  2010 way more stringently tested and safer than anything with a mere DOT rating yet not legal for street use. I definitely trust the SNELL over DOT any day, the DOT rating is nothing but a revenue source.

[/quote]
I wear a modular helmet although a true statement that there isn't any modulars with SNELL ratings many open face do and a modular is safe than the open. The ratings are funny,  I drag race and here in Washington anyway the helmet I wear at the track is reqired SNELL'S  2010 way more stringently tested and safer than anything with a mere DOT rating yet not legal for street use. I definitely trust the SNELL over DOT any day, the DOT rating is nothing but a revenue source.
[/quote]

Yes, but open face have no chin bar to test!  ;)
Here is why I haven't switched to a modular. Shoei rep told me it is designed to do this....still made me think. 

Attachments

• Em's Helmet 2.jpg
    Em's Helmet 2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 126
[/quote]

Yes, but open face have no chin bar to test!  ;)
Here is why I haven't switched to a modular. Shoei rep told me it is designed to do this....still made me think.
[/quote]

I have a feeling I'll be back in the helmet market before too long. :mad:

If you are in the market for a full face helmet. I just got a Shoei GT-Air (Dauntless black/blue/white) today from https://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com for $430. They were normally $670. But the Dauntless and Expanse color schemes are discontinued so are at closeout prices. Same helmets as current retail stock, just discontinued colors.  :great:

When I ordered it Saturday with standard free shipping the web site said it would be 5 to 10 work days to get it. They had questions on the shipping address and called me Monday and we got it resolved in a couple minutes. They shipped it Monday & I received it today (Wed), Kansas City to Denver. Great service from these guys on my purchase.

Leo